PS3 s/w update 3

navychop

Member of the Month - July 2014!
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 20, 2005
Northern VA
I turned on my PS3 to do the update (don't use it often) and it did the download. It is now at the screen that talks about how this update will remove the "other OS" option. It is not responding to my remote control, even after I put fresh batteries in. I plugged in the controller to charge it up, but the system is not responding to that either.

I'd hate to risk bricking it by a power cycle.

Any ideas of what else to try?

OK, after an hour or so, it started responding to commands again. Just needed a fully charged controller, I guess.

It took mine a while to respond after the update too.

Thank you. I was beginning to wonder if I was nuts.....

The class action suits include anyone who purchased the PS3 console between November 17th, 2006 and March 27th, 2010.
Okay, that part is just stupid.
The slim never had the other OS option, so if anything eligibility should only go to Sept 2009, when the slim replaced the fatty.

Personally if I was Sony, I'd make everyone suing prove they've taken advantage of the feature and actually installed another OS. Otherwise this is nothing more than lawyers & moochers trying to get money from a company with big pockets.

No, that's still a valid date. That is when the patch was announced, and people may have bought old PS3s for that function not just at retail. The date is there so that people can't go buy one today and become part of the class.

Okay, that part is just stupid.
The slim never had the other OS option, so if anything eligibility should only go to Sept 2009, when the slim replaced the fatty.

Personally if I was Sony, I'd make everyone suing prove they've taken advantage of the feature and actually installed another OS. Otherwise this is nothing more than lawyers & moochers trying to get money from a company with big pockets.

Whether or not someone has used the feature is irrelevant. The feature was advertised as being part of what they were paying for when they bought the console. It's something that they had the option of taking advantage of up until Sony forced them to get rid of it or lose a bunch of other core system features.

To summarily take it away is ridiculous. This is a completely legitimate lawsuit. Sony should never have done this. As the owner of an original PS3, this really pissed me off.

Whether or not someone has used the feature is irrelevant. The feature was advertised as being part of what they were paying for when they bought the console. It's something that they had the option of taking advantage of up until Sony forced them to get rid of it or lose a bunch of other core system features.

To summarily take it away is ridiculous. This is a completely legitimate lawsuit. Sony should never have done this. As the owner of an original PS3, this really pissed me off.
I agree. We have several PS3s around the house and I haven't upgraded one of the boxes that runs Linux. Of course, since it can no longer access the Playstation Network it's of no use to me as a gaming console.:( I can understand if people were running Linux on their PS3s as an "unadvertised" modification, but this has been an advertised capability of the PS3 since "Day One" - the class action is certainly warranted. Offhand, I don't know Sony will no longer support this feature.

I agree. We have several PS3s around the house and I haven't upgraded one of the boxes that runs Linux. Of course, since it can no longer access the Playstation Network it's of no use to me as a gaming console.:( I can understand if people were running Linux on their PS3s as an "unadvertised" modification, but this has been an advertised capability of the PS3 since "Day One" - the class action is certainly warranted. Offhand, I don't know Sony will no longer support this feature.

I share the same believe with you exactly... I just wonder why they removed that feature!

I share the same believe with you exactly... I just wonder why they removed that feature!
It exposed a security flaw in the PS3 that could potentially allow running homebrew apps, pirated games, and PS2 software. Sony was left with either devoting time and resources to plugging it while keeping the option in tact, OR it could save itself a lot of time and money (short term at least) by removing the entire feature. A good run down is here:

Sony Zaps PlayStation 3 'Install Other OS' Feature - PCWorld

I don't blame them...really. My kids hav e hacked their Iphones, hacked their Wii, hacked their 360, sure they would have hacked the PS3s also. I can't lame Sony one bit on this one.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)