PS3 Sales THE TRUTH!

dnyce

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 28, 2004
Atlanta
First of all, why do I keep reading posts and articles talking about how bad PS3 sales are compared to the Wii?? The Wii is a cute video game system that I'll buy my daughter for her birthday to play on her 26 inch Spongebob TV in the play room. How can anyone compare it to the 360 or PS3??!!

Imagine seeing the cover of next months Motor Trend magazine
"BMW in trouble, Toyota Camry outsells 5 Series"
I mean be serious! :D

NEXT!
Many of you are shoveling the hype that PS3's are not selling as much as the 360 did. Yes it is possible to go to a store and buy a PS3. That is a bad thing?? LOL I can't believe the 360 release was so terrible that it makes stocking an item look bad.

In case you were curious...
360 - Release Date,Nov 05 - April 06 - 3.2 million units sold
PS3 - Release Date,Nov 06 - April 07 - 3.1 million units sold

Not bad considering 360 was the ONLY option for next gen gaming in 05 and most of 06. PS3 had much more competition and a higher price doing almost the same numbers.

Don't take my word for it, we're all familiar with Google. Look it up.

Feel free to use this info as a Universal reply for anyone that decides they want to talk about PS3 dismal sales or how Wii is putting Sony out of business. Thank you and Good night. :p

Feel free to use this info as a Universal reply for anyone that decides they want to talk about PS3 dismal sales or how Wii is putting Sony out of business. Thank you and Good night. :p
Absolutely! I like the PS3 so much...I bought two. It's a bargain BD player, that plays games too. The X360 is also a fine machine, but I like BD, I don't want multiple consoles, and the developers are just learning how to design games for the PS3.

To be honest, the Wii is great fun for the kids and grandparents, but I'll stick to a more serious game machine. However, if you like the Wii then get one. If you want an X360, then buy it. And if you gotta have a PS3, so be it. The last time I looked both Microsoft and Sony were paying billions to subsidize our next-gen console purchase...I'm just doing my part by taking full-advantage of the program.

I don't care one way or another how any of these consoles do. But the PS3 numbers are considered "bad" for two reasons.

1) The PS3 is trying to live up the the legacy of PS2 domination. The expectations for the 36 were not nearly as great.
2) The 360 numbers were "low" because of supply issues while the PS3 numbers are "low" because of demand issues. We can't really know how much higher the 360 numbers would be if it was not constrained through that period.

But, whatever. They both will be with us for the long haul.

If I'm not mistaken, the orginal goal was 6MM sold by the end of March. So in that regard, the PS3 sales have been dismal.

Well, about your car analogy...

If it was only a BMW, a Honda and whatever you decide to classify the 360 as the only 3 cars on the market then it would certainly be relevant. On top of that, the Honda has so much mass appeal that people who walk to work are getting them.

Meanwhile, the 1999 BMW has had so much success that people are skeptical about trading it in for such a large upgrade on brand alone and many are instead opting for Hondas and 360s.

If there are only 3 cars on the market, 3 horses in the race, whatever metaphor you use, and one is whupping the other two, its newsworthy. Stating otherwise is just spin.

All that being said, i DO agree with you... I will be buying my franchise games for the 360, and the fun and interesting novelty/party games will be purchased for my Wii.

If in the future the PS3 becomes worth half its price tag I might pick one up.

I have a 360 and a wii, Wii outperforms. Oh, Did I say that I have them connected to a 54" Hi def tv. 360 was replaced in the first year. Wii zero problems, all games work as promised... Ps2 piece of junk wont buy another!!!

First of all, why do I keep reading posts and articles talking about how bad PS3 sales are compared to the Wii?? The Wii is a cute video game system that I'll buy my daughter for her birthday to play on her 26 inch Spongebob TV in the play room. How can anyone compare it to the 360 or PS3??!!

NEXT!
Many of you are shoveling the hype that PS3's are not selling as much as the 360 did. Yes it is possible to go to a store and buy a PS3. That is a bad thing?? LOL I can't believe the 360 release was so terrible that it makes stocking an item look bad.

Not bad considering 360 was the ONLY option for next gen gaming in 05 and most of 06. PS3 had much more competition and a higher price doing almost the same numbers.

DO you have a source?

NEXT!

With all this being said, which one should I buy? I should tell you that I play sports games only. Have an xbox now, but I am stumped on which unit to upgrade to.

I have a PS3, XBOX360 and WII and the WII wins hands down for the funnest GAME SYSTEM.

My PS3 I use it mostly for Folding@home, watching movies or playing PS2 games. I still have not found a good game for the PS3 that really makes me go wow everyone should get a PS3 just for this game.

I love my XBOX360 which I use more as a home media cetner then for playing games but game playing on it is fun, but the XBOX360 is much more, with video on demand and XBOXB Live this thing is just cool. :)

If I'm not mistaken, the orginal goal was 6MM sold by the end of March. So in that regard, the PS3 sales have been dismal.

By the end of March? I thought it was by the end of this year- whether fiscal or calendar, I don't remember.

I really like the PS3 and will have to buy one prior to the launch of Grand Theft Auto 4. I'm sure I'll also pick up Motorstorm.

Look, I'm not real big on the HD or the HUGE amounts of memory or anything like that! Will the 20 GB PS3 suit my needs? I don't buy a terrible amount of games and, therefore, don't have a lot to save. I've had the PS2 for years and only saved games from the GTA series, Tiger Woods, WWE, and football. I did all of that on two memory cards (one of which has so much room it isn't even funny -- because I know I'll never use it all).

Does the 20 GB represent the amount of space you can save your games with or do you just have to buy a memory card anyways? I know this stuff sounds stupid, but I just thought, before it was ever released, that I would buy a PS3. Again, no HD is important to me or nothing fancy. It will be played on a 32 inch Zenith television...

I'll also be looking to purchase a Wii (and would have already had Best Buy or Circuit City had them in stock in my area) because it just looks to be so fun, I've heard no complaints about the system from friends, and I want to download games from the past.

Cade

I really like the PS3 and will have to buy one prior to the launch of Grand Theft Auto 4. I'm sure I'll also pick up Motorstorm.

Look, I'm not real big on the HD or the HUGE amounts of memory or anything like that! Will the 20 GB PS3 suit my needs? I don't buy a terrible amount of games and, therefore, don't have a lot to save. I've had the PS2 for years and only saved games from the GTA series, Tiger Woods, WWE, and football. I did all of that on two memory cards (one of which has so much room it isn't even funny -- because I know I'll never use it all).

Does the 20 GB represent the amount of space you can save your games with or do you just have to buy a memory card anyways? I know this stuff sounds stupid, but I just thought, before it was ever released, that I would buy a PS3. Again, no HD is important to me or nothing fancy. It will be played on a 32 inch Zenith television...

the 20 gb model has been discontinued

edit for link
http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=94334

Aye, if you are waiting until GTAIV comes out you'll have to buy the more expensive version despite not caring about HD, larger hard drive room, etc unless you feel ok with going the ebay/craigslist route.

Actually, they still have the 20GB model at my local Wal-Mart. I assume I could buy that now and just wait on the release of GTA4. I'll also be purchasing Motorstorm....

Cade

With all this being said, which one should I buy? I should tell you that I play sports games only. Have an xbox now, but I am stumped on which unit to upgrade to.
I couldn't stand sports games untill i got a Wii. The new controles really make sports games alot more enjoyable then just pressing a button to swing ect...

Actually, there was a study that showed Wiki to be as reliable and accurate as Britannica.