PS3 security broken for good?

A bit more info
Sony goes to court to get PS3 key crackers to shut up already
In a nutshell, Sony simply wants everyone to cut it out and stop sharing these exploits on the Internet.
As of this writing, cracking the PlayStation 3 is a trivial thing. You download the custom firmware, update your system, and you then have access to everything in a matter of minutes. You can run pirated games, install other operating systems, or simply muck about and do some coding. It's all available to you, and Sony has lost control over what you do with your system. This suit may silence the groups that originally opened the door to an open and compromised PlayStation 3, but it won't close it again.

Diogen.

EDIT:
Hopefully somebody either from Europe or in AnyDVD's neighborhood picks up the torch...
Will those big corporations ever learn not to f**k with the Linux crowd?

Last edited:
As expected
Ubisoft: Sony will not be able to stop PS3 pirates - TechSpot News
If that hack works as reported, I don't believe that Sony can regain any control... I don't believe that Sony can even detect which users to lock out from PSN.
Sony's only possible solution is to revise the PS3 hardware itself...(PS4?)

Diogen.

EDIT:
Even Sony's court case looks miserable after geohot's lawyer response
Even more harmful to Sony's personal jurisdiction argument, the only evidence put forward of Mr. Hotz' PayPal account appears to be a transaction initiated by the plaintiff.
http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2011/01/sonys-options-are-limited-in-face-of-ps3-jailbreak.ars

Last edited:
Latest developments...
PS3 firmware 3.56 hacked in less than a day, Sony's lawyers look confused -- Engadget
...wouldn't you know it: 3.56 was cracked open in less than a day by KaKaRoToKS, who was behind one of the first 3.55 custom firmwares. Now that the 3.56 signing keys are out, we'd guess updated custom firmware is soon to come -- and we'd bet Sony's lawsuit will just inspire an entirely new wave of people to jailbreak once those hit the scene. Way to put that genie back in the bottle, Sony.

Diogen.

They did.
What has this accomplished?
Is the master key still valid? Yes. Can you find it? Yes.
Can you still sign your own "apps"? Yes.

So, is Sony's achievement anything but intimidation? No.

Diogen.
Yes but what would you do? I'm with Sony just like I would be with Directv or Dish that goes after hackers. The hack is designed specifically to facilitate theft of copyrighted materials.

televisionarchives said:
Yes but what would you do? I'm with Sony just like I would be with Directv or Dish that goes after hackers. The hack is designed specifically to facilitate theft of copyrighted materials.

Quite honestly, I think Sony brought this on themselves by removing advertised functionality from the original PS3. I honestly never installed a second OS onto my PS3, but I know people that had who were seriously annoyed by Sony removing that feature (one that enticed them to buy the system to begin with). It's only since then that all the jail breaking and hacking has gone into overdrive (under the auspices of restoring that functionality- not that I don't believe piracy to also be a big motivator). I think Sony overreached and miscalculated; they pissed off the wrong segment of their user base. And now they're desperate to try and put the genie back into the bottle.

Yes but what would you do?
Purely theoretical....
For starters, I wouldn't declare that the number 4 is the best random number under the sun.
One doesn't have to be a rocket scientist to do that, just not to be stupid!

Second, I'd hire somebody capable of explaining that f***ing with a 20 year old open OS (Linux), is asking for trouble!

And third, maybe the same guy can explain that asking to forget a number splattered all over the internet is a waste of time.

Bottom line: I'd never be in their boat. And as a side note, get off your morality horse, it doesn't work that way...

Diogen.

Purely theoretical....
For starters, I wouldn't declare that the number 4 is the best random number under the sun.
One doesn't have to be a rocket scientist to do that, just not to be stupid!

Second, I'd hire somebody capable of explaining that f***ing with a 20 year old open OS (Linux), is asking for trouble!

And third, maybe the same guy can explain that asking to forget a number splattered all over the internet is a waste of time.

Bottom line: I'd never be in their boat. And as a side note, get off your morality horse, it doesn't work that way...

Diogen.

Morality horse? So if someone found a way to hack a Satellite box and you could get free programing would you feel the same way? Hacking is stealing. And that's why Sony is trying to stop it. People who make games deserve to be paid for what they do.

Now I can't wait to hear the reasons why it's the fault of Sony.

"The games cost too much"

"Sony is a rich corporation. They can afford it"

Yeah Yeah Yeah.

Geeez...
I explained it in the very post you quoted!

Don't get it? Stick to the sport section then...

Diogen.
If George Hotz was any kind of man he would find real work helping a company instead of hurting them. Of course people who steal and hack love the guy. They don't want to pay for games. I get it. But does this guy have a real job? It's funny to read how some say Sony should hire him. Like that would ever happen. Can you imagine trusting George Hotz with company secrets. Could Sony trust him as an employee? I don't know if he thinks he's going to get rich this way but I wonder how he would feel if he ran a company and someone hacked into his system.

Last edited:
WTF is this rhetoric all about?

Remember Wall Street:
Bud Fox: Why do you need to wreck this company?
Gordon Gekko: Because it's WRECKABLE, all right?

That is the motto of business. Always was, always will be.

Why do they hack the PS3? Because it is hackable! Get it?

Direct TV was hackable and nothing, including lawsuits, helped until they fixed it.
Dish was completely open for over 5 years. Did any of the morality b!tching helped? No.
Hacking stopped when they fixed it.

PS3 is hacked. It would be not a problem if Sony knew a thing or two about cryptography.
They don't. They f**cked it up. And deserve what is coming to them.

Developer suffering? Collateral damage.
Next time they will think twice before having anything to do with Sony...

For the record, I don't play games (except Angry Birds) for over 10 years.
But I know a few things about math.

Take care.
Diogen.

WTF is this rhetoric all about?

Remember Wall Street:
Bud Fox: Why do you need to wreck this company?
Gordon Gekko: Because it's WRECKABLE, all right?

That is the motto of business. Always was, always will be.

Why do they hack the PS3? Because it is hackable! Get it?

Direct TV was hackable and nothing, including lawsuits, helped until they fixed it.
Dish was completely open for over 5 years. Did any of the morality b!tching helped? No.
Hacking stopped when they fixed it.

PS3 is hacked. It would be not a problem if Sony knew a thing or two about cryptography.
They don't. They f**cked it up. And deserve what is coming to them.

Developer suffering? Collateral damage.
Next time they will think twice before having anything to do with Sony...

For the record, I don't play games (except Angry Birds) for over 10 years.
But I know a few things about math.

Take care.
Diogen.

The PS3 was secure for a long time. It was only because George Hotz wanted this to be about him and how "smart" he is . And yet does he have a job? Would anybody ever hire this man? I doubt it.

Official word
Sony releases statement on PS3 hacking, surprisingly comes out against it -- Engadget
Consumers using circumvention devices or running unauthorized or pirated software will have access to the
PlayStation Network and access to Qriocity services through PlayStation 3 system terminated permanently.

It's really hard to believe, but it looks like they've smartened up...

Now, let's wait and see whether they have this capability.
No doubt this will be tested...

Diogen.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts