PS3 security broken for good?

This is getting real fun
PlayStation hackers reportedly able to unban selves, ban others, turn tables -- Engadget
Destructoid is now reporting that not only have those tinkerers found a way to unban themselves, but that they can in turn ban any other console they want.
How long before it's Sony who loses access to PSN...:)

In other news, if Sony hoped to win the case against Hotz on its wallet alone, they should think again
http://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/ps3-hacker-raises-money-for-legal-fight-against-sony/

Diogen.

I really like this :)
Donations Pour In for PS3 Hacker | Threat Level | Wired.com

It looks more and more like the DVD-Jon case, who was sued twice and acquitted.
This time Sony can't hide behind DVD CCA, MPAA, etc. And hopefully it will be the same outcome...

Diogen.

Hmm. You would think Mr. Holz would have plenty of money . Doesn't he have a job with all of his "brains"? Now he wants hackers to pay his legal fees?

And now he's trying to set the terms for Sony to settle.

"If Sony offered to settle, Hotz has terms in mind: He wants the OtherOS option back on the PlayStation 3, and he wants a public apology from Sony. He’s also willing to trade “a legit path to home-brew for knowledge of how to stop new firmwares from being decrypted.”

Hotz is a fool. I for one hope he goes broke and has to get a real job.

He's going to face the music for what he did. He should be man enough to take it. He knew what was going to happen. He can claim he's against piracy etc but he's saying that more to cover his own butt.

Last edited:
According to a few reports Sony has done what many thought couldn't be done, Sony removed all the loaders. Seems they found a way to secure the PS3.

Some news update about this. It appears that George Hotz is in deep deep trouble. He's in South America now and some say he's fled the USA. George Hotz also said to the court that he didn't receive money to hack the PS3. They have in fact found that he did receive money to hack it and Sony has found proof that he has tampered with evidence.

My favorite line from GeoHotz was that he never heard of "Sony Computer Entertainment America." All you have to do is turn on a game or look at a game box to know the existence of SCEA. In a way I kind of hope that this guy gets nailed. I know some of this stuff has been under the guise of trying to get back the "Other OS" option, but clearly people have been abusing this and using it's power for bad as opposed to the original noble cause.

In a way I kind of hope that this guy gets nailed.
I really hope he doesn't.
RE: never heard about SCEA - that just means he got good lawyers.
For a change those corporate a$$es face somebody that knows the game.

And this is just warm-up: they fight about where they will fight...:)

Diogen.

My favorite line from GeoHotz was that he never heard of "Sony Computer Entertainment America." All you have to do is turn on a game or look at a game box to know the existence of SCEA. In a way I kind of hope that this guy gets nailed. I know some of this stuff has been under the guise of trying to get back the "Other OS" option, but clearly people have been abusing this and using it's power for bad as opposed to the original noble cause.

Is this going to be his defense? If it is he's not going to stand a chance.

I don't believe for one second he did it so you could use the other OS .

And this is what hackers appear to be doing as well,
"SonyRecon" says it's targeting Sony individuals, unearthing employee personal details, then posting them in public spaces.

If people have a problem with Sony don't buy the product. It's as simple as that.

Especially since they found his Playstation Network account.
:)
Quoting Nick from Law Abiding Citizen: It's not what you know. It's what you can prove in court.

Sony thinks (not even knows) that they have his account.
But it was created by a different console. And the manual seal was never broken. And internet shared with the neighbor...
Sony v. Hotz: mismatched serial numbers and sealed manuals

So, once in a while those corporate schmucks get the taste of their own medicine (anybody remembers rootkit?)...

Diogen.

Derwin0 said:
so because they screwed up on something to stop theives, means it's okay for people to steal?

This whole mess started when Sony decided to take away an advertised feature of the console. Taking the other OS option was a slap in the face to everyone that bought the original PS3.

I'd also like to differentiate between jailbreaking and pirating. Sure pirating games becomes possible once the system is jailbroken; however, that's not the only thing. Or are you implying that to jailbreak is to steal? If so, I'm guilty of stealing since I've jailbroken my iPhone.

Not defending stealing, just making sure that it is clear that jailbreaking is not the same as stealing.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

so because they screwed up on something to stop theives, means it's okay for people to steal?
Read up on what the rootkit was all about before labeling it as an attempt "to stop thieves"...
Here is my recollection.

If that was about stopping thieves, then this is about Linux!

Diogen.

Last edited:
One thing is for sure - Anonymous wasn't kidding when threatening Sony
Anonymous takes down playstation website and playstation network- The Inquirer

At least this stupid "sporadic maintenance" isn't mentioned anymore...

Diogen.
These guys are making the wrong people mad now. Now they have turned everyone against them instead of Sony. For one thing The Playstation Network was raising money for the Japan Earthquake victims . I wonder how many of the fans of this will feel if they hack the Credit Card information they have online.

One can't really claim Anonymous being irrational
Anonymous says taking down playstation network is not a good idea- The Inquirer
We are not aiming to attack customers of Sony. This attack is aimed solely at Sony, and we will try our best to not affect the gamers, as this would defeat the purpose of our actions.
But this certainly keeps the air charged
...campaign against Sony and others that would trample on the idea of free information will continue, until we are satisfied with the outcome.

Diogen.

If they really wanted to fight back at Sony, they could stop buying games. Oh wait, they arn't paying for them in the first place.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)