PS3 security broken for good?

Anonymous appears to have done some of the damage after all. Here is a new update.BBC News - Sony blames vigilante group Anonymous for data theft

It's time to ramp up the punishment for this guys.
And don't you love this.

"Any one anonymous member acting on their own is independent of the organization. Individuals have their own freedom to do as they will, however, we stand together as Anonymous where cause warrants."

Sincerely,

Anonymous."

I'm still not convinced this was anonymous. Just because they found a copy of their signature doesn't mean someone didn't forge it. I'm sure their catch phrase is rather well known so it wouldn't surprise me if some other hacker group decided to blame it on them since they are such an easy target.

I'm still not convinced this was anonymous.
When I have to chose between the word of the lowest foot soldier of Anonymous and a company that has no
f***ing clue how to run a secure network, I'll chose the former any day of the week and twice on Sundays...

Diogen.

EDIT:
http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/05/04/sony-idUSN0422224820110504
In other words, "Nobody was either having a clue or giving a rat's a$$ about how retarded we are in
regards of protecting private data of 77M users, and you had the balls to tell the world about it..."

Last edited:
Getting back to the question that titles this thread: it looks like the PS3 is broken for good!
Despite trumpeting a new firmware for PS3 to has negated Hotz's exploits, an even better hack is released
OtherOS++ brings Linux back to the PS3, taunts Sony -- Engadget
For one, Linux is no longer relegated to a performance-degrading virtual machine and has full access
to the PS3 hardware, and two, it works on both old-school "fat" models and the newer "slim" ones.

Full access to hardware most likely means the old master key still works! (Not really a surprise from a math POV).
Very nice to hear!!

Diogen.

Hackers are having a field day with Sony server infrastructure...:)

First discovering its master key, then an "annoying" DDoS attack, then a complete breakdown of the PSN for a month, then account hijack...
And now Sony is hosting phishing sites
Sony hacked once again, phishing site found on server

I'm not surprised Japan doesn't allow Sony services online - nobody at the company seems to be having a clue what Sony network does!

It would be interesting to see who Sony is going to sue next to "defend" themselves against...:)

Diogen.

I sense you don't like Sony or PS3, and would not like them even if they did not have security issues. Am I correct?

Is it more the PS3 or Sony? I can understand being upset at Sony, but the PS3 itself is one of the best devices ever invented

As I said, Sony.
My interest in games ended with Commander Keen (or something).

I did mod the original Xbox to be a media player but never played a single game on any console...

Although hacking is very quickly commercializing in the last 3-5 years, the breakthroughs are done by "purists":
DVD-Jon, Sklyarov, Muslix and many many more who's names have been long forgotten (read doom9).
It always starts as a challenge. And some get addicted. And stay addicted until it is solved...

Corporate b!tching will never stop them. If it is doable and "challenging" enough - it will be done.
And I'm really glad to see movements like Anonymous to appear that can "protect" them even if only
by creating bad publicity for companies that take them to court...

Admittedly, in the long term this standoff is not sustainable. But it always makes me feel good seeing Sony in trouble...:)

Diogen.

I think it is funny... none of this would have happened if they would have left geohot alone. All they wanted was their linux back. Oh well....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)