PS3 security broken for good?

I think it is funny... none of this would have happened if they would have left geohot alone.
This has a long history...
Many years ago, well before the hidef era began, two developers - authors of DVD Decryptor and RipIt4Me - were served with C&D letters.
A lot of effort was put into hiding who initiated those. But eventually this info was leaked: it was Sony (doom9 has the story).
Since the programs were not open source, they faded into irrelevance.

This time Sony couldn't hide: unlike DeCSS, only Sony was suffering from PS3 hacking. Their mistake was more of a PR nature.
They hoped to quickly intimidate him into admitting guilt, slap with multi million dollar fine and settle for his lifetime wages.
They didn't expect
- Anonymous to show up
- money to be donated to geohot defence
- geohot lawyers to actually be smarter than them.

After failing to link his PS3 to the "geohot" account, they tried some stupid "He left the country! He's a fugitive!" crap
and when that didn't fly they quickly settled. The very fact that geohot not only talks but pokes fun at Sony means his lawyers dictated the settlement...
The fact that everything was plastered over the internet - about what geohot did and how the lawsuit developed - certainly helped.

And then came the 19th and sh!t hit the fan...

Bottom line: Sony could not leave him alone. It was in their DNA. But next time something like this happens, they might...

Diogen.

Some numbers behind Sony network breach
Sony to declare $3.2 billion loss for year
Sony estimates the impact of the quake on its operations is currently about ¥22 billion ($270 million).
The company is also spending some $170 million in the wake of the take-down of its PlayStation Network
and Qriocity cloud service, including paying for identity theft protection services for customers.

Bottom line: costs related to stupidity had an impact to the bottom line measured as 2/3 that of the quake ($170M vs. $270M)!

Diogen.

EDIT:
And just to keep the record going, last hack victim among Sony properties is Sony BMG Greece. This time by a script kiddie...
http://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2011/05/22/sony-bmg-greece-the-latest-hacked-sony-site/

Last edited:
If that were truly true, then there would have been crap when the slim came out, as it was, narely a whisper about it lacking linux abilities.
Common sense again... Forget about it!
This is a "business" where everybody goes for a kill...

How you "dress it up" later in your PR campaign is a different game altogether...

Diogen.

Derwin0 said:
yep, all about linux... :rolleyes:

If that were truly true, then there would have been crap when the slim came out, as it was, narely a whisper about it lacking linux abilities.

This line of reasoning fails for one simple reason: the slim never had Linux abilities, was never advertised as such, and people didn't pay money for a system that included that ability.

It's very different to sell something that doesn't have that feature versus selling something with that feature and then unilaterally and arbitrarily taking it away from people who have paid for it.

Does taking that feature away excuse everything that has happened since then? No. But can we point to that moment and say this is when the hacking savvy community got pissed off and tried to break the PS3's encryption? Yes. Sony's decision on Linux backfired on them and has snowballed into massive problems.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Daily-Double: Sony Ericsson Canada is hacked too.
(same SQL injection; same link as above with an update).

This "Linux" issue with its PS3 will cost Sony much more than $170M...:)

Diogen.

I enjoy their continued failure(s) and the cost they have to pay due to their arrogance and ignorance that caused the situation to begin with.

Worst case scenario is they pass the costs along to customers, close divisions, lay off good people... certainly nothing to be happy about, IMO.

Worst case scenario is they pass the costs along to customers, close divisions, lay off good people... certainly nothing to be happy about, IMO.

They're in competitive markets, they really can't afford to overprice their merchandise (more than it already is...), they need to provide value and rebuild consumer trust. If I worked there I'd be looking elsewhere or had left some time ago. Costs that they try and pass along to consumers will not necessarily be recouped for consumers that have options.

Sony is paying for their ignorance/arrogance, I have no remorse no matter what happens with the company.

I just received the "Identity Theft Protection Offer for PlayStation Network and Qriocity Customers?" email. Of course, I also noticed the embedded URL went to a questionable URL. Anyway, I looked it up and it's apparently a legit offer for 12-month of free credit/Identiy monitoring service. Anyone else receive this email? Hopefully I can terminate my current $12 a month service it this pans out.

Regardless, Sony owes me a lot more than 12-months of identity monitoring service...

I just received the "Identity Theft Protection Offer for PlayStation Network and Qriocity Customers?" email. Of course, I also noticed the embedded URL went to a questionable URL. Anyway, I looked it up and it's apparently a legit offer for 12-month of free credit/Identiy monitoring service. Anyone else receive this email? Hopefully I can terminate my current $12 a month service it this pans out.

Regardless, Sony owes me a lot more than 12-months of identity monitoring service...

Yeah they've sent out some ID theft prevention stuff. They expect to get out of this only paying around $2 per person affected.

If it really becomes that expensive then there is no PS4. There is a point where they will cut their losses and give up on a product line. Is that in the best interest of the consumer? All because a couple of criminals want to screw stuff up. This is really no different than if your local electronic store accidentally left a door open at night and you just happened to find out that it was open. Do you think that because they were "too stupid or too arrogant" to lock their door that it is OK for you to go help yourself to a new TV or AV setup? Obviously not. This is no different. What is probably going to happen is that either on the PS3 or the PS4 the company will decided that it is too expensive to give away free access to their PSN and we have to start paying for it. Boy that sure helped the consumer... I'll say it again, these "hackers" are criminals and should be prosecuted just like someone that walks into an open store door and steals merchandise.