PS3 to be 1.1 by years end (hopefully)

JoeSp

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Oct 11, 2003
I hope they include at least pass thru for DTSMaster-HD. That sure would be nice.

teachsac

SatelliteGuys Master
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Nov 3, 2005
Elk Grove, CA
Not trying to flame here, but I thought we covered that the PS3 is not capable of passing bitstream of TrueHD and DTS Master. With that said, I would like to see it get internal decoding.

S~

JoeSp

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Oct 11, 2003
And why would that be? At first the PS3 was thought not to be able to upconvert DVDs because it did not have a certain chip -- wrong. The we thought the PS3 would not be able to do picture in picture --who knew there were two video decoders and two audio decoders in the PS3 right. And of course, just because the PS3 has HDMI and is capable of passing xvColour that it does not meet the other HDMI 1.3 options:

High-Definition Multimedia Interface - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

We determine that the PS3 with HDMI 1.3a can not do bitstream at 7.1 channels even though it is a selection in the audio out section of the HDMI options of the PS3 because it currently does not do it? Too many times have folks said that the PS3 is not capable of doing something -- even to the point of dragging out schematics and spec charts -- and they have been proven wrong. I think on this one I will wait just like I did for the DVD upconverting -- seems the PS3 can do alot under its hood.

gadgtfreek

SatelliteGuys Master
May 29, 2006
Lower Alabama
Main reason I bought the PS3 is most of its software based, which leaves much open to be changed. I like the idea of a player that can be updated for many different scenarios.

teachsac

SatelliteGuys Master
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Nov 3, 2005
Elk Grove, CA
I never said the PS3 wouldn't meet BD 1.1 specs. Just because something is 1.3 doesn't mean it can bitstream advanced audio codecs. Bitstream of TrueHD and DTS Master audio is an optional component of the HDMi spec, which "paidgeek" emphatically says the PS3 does not have. HDMI is not firmware upgradable. It is hardware based. Just because bitstream is in the software menu of the PS3 doesn't mean it will be able to bitstream HD codecs. It can bitstream legacy codecs.

S~

S~

JoeSp

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Oct 11, 2003
I never said the PS3 wouldn't meet BD 1.1 specs. Just because something is 1.3 doesn't mean it can bitstream advanced audio codecs. Bitstream of TrueHD and DTS Master audio is an optional component of the HDMi spec, which "paidgeek" emphatically says the PS3 does not have. HDMI is not firmware upgradable. It is hardware based. Just because bitstream is in the software menu of the PS3 doesn't mean it will be able to bitstream HD codecs. It can bitstream legacy codecs.

S~

S~

Agreed, but the ability should be there if it does indeed do bitstream at 5.1 why not 7.1? It will be moot once DTSMasterHD is decoded by the PS3. It has the power to do this -- Sony just needs to get going here. That is why I am hoping for the DTSMasterHD decoding when the 1.1 update is released.

tnsprin

SatelliteGuys Pro
Sep 27, 2003
Agreed, but the ability should be there if it does indeed do bitstream at 5.1 why not 7.1? It will be moot once DTSMasterHD is decoded by the PS3. It has the power to do this -- Sony just needs to get going here. That is why I am hoping for the DTSMasterHD decoding when the 1.1 update is released.

The only report "quoting" from Sony and DTS that I saw said they hoped to have this ready around March. But who knows. I would expect that the 1.1 update is more likely to come sooner.

ps: I can find no direct report from Sony or DTS that they are actually working on DTS-HD MA for the playstation, but lets hope these sources being quoted are real.

Last edited:

navychop

Member of the Month - July 2014!
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 20, 2005
Northern VA
1.1 is expected by the end of the year. I believe this is to support one or more releases that were to be out in January that would use 1.1 features. But maybe those releases won't happen until spring now. Not sure.

JoeSp

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Oct 11, 2003
Well, with the prices dropping fast on BD players I will probably buy a standalone that meets 2.0 next spring. I hope to be able to get one around $300. The the PS3 will go to being a game machine and media server.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts