PS3 vs recent state of the art set top players

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

TheForce

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Pub Member / Supporter
Oct 13, 2003
Jacksonville, FL, Earth
With all the latest players now out, is the PS3 STILL the best way to go for an all compatible and future proof Blue Ray player? I would probably spring for the 80Gb model as it is backward compatible too.

I'm running into more and more BD titles that have issues playing on my 10 month old BD1400 samsung. It's not just the features that aren't supported such as BD Live but the actual movies are not playing properly. I just had to finish watching Star Troopers 3 on my computer BluRay player. The Samsung just froze up and audio was skipping. I was thinking it may be time to go for the PS3 and retire the 1400.

Opinions?

Personally, for the near term (as in from now to Turkey Day at least), I think the PS3 is still the best bang for the buck, and the most future proof. I'm very happy with my 60GB model. Next year, I'll be buying another BD player, probably a dedicated one. But that will be after prices drop, and set tops match the speed and reliability of the PS3.

Thanks.

Some of this stuff I don't follow as I do others so I need to ask. The PS3 was in my Home theater plan since last November. I had issues with my Toshiba HD DVD and then went with the xbox360 for those disks that gave me trouble. Then I recognized that BD was in flux and the 1400 required a software update about every month just to play the latest disks. At that time people were saying that the 1400 would max out and never be future proof so I decided to go PS3 near the end of the summer if the set top boxes aren't all they can be. Seems that is the case. I just reviewed the 350 and even that says you will need to add memory and a firmware upgrade for it to be fully compliant. At the price, no thanks.
I suppose the next question is if the PS3 is still the best bang for the buck, what is in the works for the future of BD that the PS3 WON'T be able to handle? What is it missing now that I will have to deal with or tolerate. BTW- I don't play games so gamer features has no appeal to me what so ever!

Only somewhat related to your question since you're focused on BD capabilities, but once the current 80gb models are gone, Sony is going to just 1 80gb SKU with fewer features (basically the 40gb version with an upgraded HDD). This means the PS3 is permanently losing it's card reader, extra USB ports SACD support and PS2 backwards compatibility unless you go grey market and get one from ebay/craigslist.

The only possible BD feature coming down the road that I see is maybe going to more layers. Maybe the PS3 can read up to 4 layers (I doubt it) but beyond that- no way. However, I also don't see that catching on for movies, if indeed they ever release these 400 & 500 GB models. If they do, it's years off and nothing on the market today would work with them. That size will be for data storage.

Even the murmurings about 3D movies are moot- the PS3 can handle it. Remember, the PS3 has way more than the minimum required memory and way more CPU horsepower.

I also am no gamer and have no games for my PS3.

A nice advantage of the PS3 that I don't think current or announced standalones will have (inlcuding the forthcoming LG that streams Netflix) is wireless Internet capabilites. Not too mention the PS3 acts as an all purpose media player, allowing you to stream from a network or HDD, music, photos, and video.

Well, all those in favor of PS3 have voted and hearing no nahs, I suppose I am reassured my original plan to buy the PS3 now is still the right choice for now and the future.

I will say, however, that using the XBOX360 for HD DVD watching is far more awkward than a settop box but I suppose that will go with the territory even with the PS3.

Thanks everyone for your opinions.

Well, all those in favor of PS3 have voted and hearing no nahs, I suppose I am reassured my original plan to buy the PS3 now is still the right choice for now and the future.

I will say, however, that using the XBOX360 for HD DVD watching is far more awkward than a settop box but I suppose that will go with the territory even with the PS3.

Thanks everyone for your opinions.

I bought a bundle on amazon for $409 shipped (40GB), remote and Spiderman 3 Blu-ray; not sure how that deal stacks up vs others online; but it sure beats what I can find local after taxes and my time. Got 3 movies that should come tomorrow in the mail via Blockbuster online (unlimited, 3 out, with free in-store returns for $19.99 / mo AND a $25 credit by using PayPal)

With all the latest players now out, is the PS3 STILL the best way to go for an all compatible and future proof Blue Ray player? I would probably spring for the 80Gb model as it is backward compatible too.

I'm running into more and more BD titles that have issues playing on my 10 month old BD1400 samsung. It's not just the features that aren't supported such as BD Live but the actual movies are not playing properly. I just had to finish watching Star Troopers 3 on my computer BluRay player. The Samsung just froze up and audio was skipping. I was thinking it may be time to go for the PS3 and retire the 1400.

Opinions?
BD was a product rushed to market with the intent of ironing out the problems on the fly. Imagine how many non tech savy people who don't know what the heck a firmware is, or don't have the means or desire to update their product right out of the box in order to enjoy their $500 purchase. Updates every month what a joke. One could hardly consider the dumbed down PS3's the center of any enertainment system.

So what is it the PS3, as a Blu-ray device, won't do? All I want it to do is play my movies well; and output multi-channel audio to my A/V receiver just like my current DVD player does. Screw the internet and other crap.

Overheard conversation in a coffee shop between two teens:

"PS3 is awesome, just awesome...
And listen to this: it has its own video format, called Blu-ray.
Picture is unreal. Costs a pile. Just make sure your parents don't see it..." :)

Diogen.

I don't consider either game machine the "centerpiece of my HT. For me, it is the AV receiver and second the projector. But that's just me.

I actually find the game interface a bit annoying but will suffer through it to relieve the annoyance of spending the same money for a box that isn't upgradable. I saw an open box special at BB yesterday for the BD 1400 samsung and it was still $299. Couldn't believe that price. I think that is what I paid brand new. L:ack of competition with HD DVD sure led to no good prices on the BD players out there. But that is behind us now and contrary to this idea that BluRay is no good because it was rushed to markey, I really like the end result, whether BD or HD DVD. We're stuck with Blu Ray now so there is no changing history.
Back to the PS3- I thought about the bundle deals but decided I wanted the 80 Gb original that had the additional media features the new 80 Gb is said not to have. Besides the BD titles offered I saw I already have or have seen so I sprang for a Best Buy one yesterday. I'll connect it up this weekend. I had to buy the IR remote dongle so I can control it with my Home theater remote.

As for Net flix or Block Buster- I have movie pass at one of the city's largest stocking BD Blockbuster stores. They have hundreds in stock and get 3-4 new titles each week. I was told they were discontinuing the movie pass but will renew mine for another year. Cost me $30 a month for unlimited rentals 2 out at a time. I exchange every day so I do get my money's worth. I tried the online mail and while it did pay, I wanted to watch far more movies than the Netflix and BB was capable of delivering, so movie pass was a much better deal for me. If I just watched 5-6 movies a month they would work. Besides requiring way too much management, those mail order systems lack the box info and on some I didn't get the second disk, just the feature disk.

I don't consider either game machine the "centerpiece of my HT. For me, it is the AV receiver and second the projector. But that's just me.

I actually find the game interface a bit annoying but will suffer through it to relieve the annoyance of spending the same money for a box that isn't upgradable. ... so I sprang for a Best Buy one yesterday. I'll connect it up this weekend. I had to buy the IR remote dongle so I can control it with my Home theater remote.

Congrats and enjoy! BTW, if you don't set up multiple user accounts in your PS3, you can set it to auto play, so all you have to do is insert the disk, and voila! it starts playing with no annoying game interfaces to deal with unless you need to change settings and whatnot.

Don

I vote for the PS3. And the best way to buy it is to buy it off the Sonystyle website using their credit card for the one time purchase with 100 dollars off. Then just pay off the balance, I did before the bill even arrived.

Thanks for someone else, Vurbano. You are a day too late for me. :(

Oh well. I wonder if the older 80Gb the one I wanted is still available from that discounted source. Maybe that will help someone get a deal.

Re: the auto play. Nice tip and I'll definitely try that out. I was thinking that dealing with the gamer interface may be a bit annoying.

BTW- I was also warned at the store about the over heat problem. Fortunately my equipment rack of shelves has forced air cooling and that shouldn't be an issue. I put that in because I have the equipment behind a closed glass door cabinet and it would really get hot inside without forced air fans. I use the low noise type.

PS3 is great for many reasons. To me, the PQ was a little softer than my BD30, BUT the media sharing features were great. Streaming my music collection to my lroom ent center was awesome.

Thanks for someone else, Vurbano. You are a day too late for me. :(

Oh well. I wonder if the older 80Gb the one I wanted is still available from that discounted source. Maybe that will help someone get a deal.

Re: the auto play. Nice tip and I'll definitely try that out. I was thinking that dealing with the gamer interface may be a bit annoying.

BTW- I was also warned at the store about the over heat problem. Fortunately my equipment rack of shelves has forced air cooling and that shouldn't be an issue. I put that in because I have the equipment behind a closed glass door cabinet and it would really get hot inside without forced air fans. I use the low noise type.

Don, I run against that very problem with closed glass doors. Especially when I added the Onkyo 805 into the mix. That baby runs very hot. Can you elaborate how you accomplised the forced air cooing in your stack? Are you directing the air flow inside the stack? Thanks:)

Congrats and enjoy! BTW, if you don't set up multiple user accounts in your PS3, you can set it to auto play, so all you have to do is insert the disk, and voila! it starts playing with no annoying game interfaces to deal with unless you need to change settings and whatnot.

Just curious... how long does it take to power up the PS3, insert a disc, and begin playing?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)