What is up with the aspect ratios?

delta_charlie

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 12, 2008
Hi all, is it just me or does all the different aspect ratios of DVD movies and TV commercials drive anyone else crazy?

I have a new wide screen HD TV with a 1.77 aspect ratio and tried to watch a rented movie from Netflix called Flawless - great movie but it had an ultra wide format. Must have been way over 2 aspect ratio as I had think bars (about 6 inches on the top and bottom. I ended up with less then half of my screen showing a picture.

Then there is the SD commercials that start with a bar on the left and right side - I'm ok with that as that is the only way to display a SD 1.33 ratio picture in a wide screen display but then they try to display a ultra wide screen picture in a SD format and I end up with a tiny picture with bars on the left and right and really thick bars on the top and bottom. This drives me nuts!

Seems to me all TV and DVD should be either 1.33 or 1.77 ratio. I plan to call Netflix later today and ask if they offer anyway to find out what the aspect ratio of their DVDs are.

I did try looking on the settings for both my TV and my DVD player but I did not see any way to zoom or modify the aspect ratio so I can fill out more of my screen. Maybe I overlooked it?

Anybody know if some of the DVD players offer some control over the aspect ratio?

Thanks, DC

This is the HD-DVD forum. When it comes to HD-DVD or Blu-ray or even DVDs, different movies will have different aspect ratios. It's all up to the director. You can usually find the aspect ratio on the back of the box, or you can go to imdb.com, type in the movie and it will give you the OAR.

If a movie is filmed in 2.35:1, I do not want it cropped to fit a 16:9 screen. We have gone down this road in these forums before. Be ready to hear from dfergie and others about maintaining the director's intent.

S~

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)