Pssst! Hey, buddy need a hand??

Status
Please reply by conversation.

esteveW

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 10, 2008
Western WA
Last week, while mounting my 3 meter solid dish, I was struggling with it hanging from the boom on my tractor. The wind was not helping much either. I noticed a fellow, who had just driven by in an RV, come back and walk over to the fence and offer to give me a hand. I informed him I just needed to steady the dish while I aligned it and seated it on the pivot bolts. He seemed a bit puzzled and then admitted he thought I was taking down an "old dish" and he was interested in it for scrap. He was very surprised that anyone would still be using these old ugly dishes and he had been picking them up for the scrap aluminum value.

"Sorry Fellow" and thanks for the help:p !!!

Steve

Last week, while mounting my 3 meter solid dish, I was struggling with it hanging from the boom on my tractor. The wind was not helping much either. I noticed a fellow, who had just driven by in an RV, come back and walk over to the fence and offer to give me a hand. I informed him I just needed to steady the dish while I aligned it and seated it on the pivot bolts. He seemed a bit puzzled and then admitted he thought I was taking down an "old dish" and he was interested in it for scrap. He was very surprised that anyone would still be using these old ugly dishes and he had been picking them up for the scrap aluminum value.

"Sorry Fellow" and thanks for the help:p !!!

Steve
It's really funny to watch how perplexed some of the scrap guy's get when they think they have something just to find out they don't. I've had more than one stop by, just to be safe I've moved all my dishes further back on the property because people are stealing about everything of value.

Or for TARGET practice! :eek:

When I approached the previous owner of my SOLID aluminum dish, he told me the only previous interest had been a fellow who wanted to "just" use it for target practice. This dish was in the corner of his hay field, next to a rural highway. You could have hit it with a sling shot. But lucky for me only one rock dent in the 1/8" thick dish. (Do the math and a guy would realize how much this would bring for scarp. It must weight a hundred lbs without the mount frame. I better put a chain or an alarm on it. They steel the pop cans out of my recyle bins when I put them out a the curb.

Steve

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts