PTAT and OTA timers on H3

blackjackmark

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 23, 2003
Central IL
Recently added the OTA module to my H3 and have set some timers for selected shows on OTA during Primetime that I'd like to record and get the better quality due to OTA. I have PTAT activated for all 7 days. However, the timer is being ignored, since I also have the same program set to be saved from the satellite locals. So I'm having to go into the timers and restore the OTA instances for each program, as it is marking it as a duplicate timer.

I guess I figured that since it was a different channel that the H3 would treat the timers as unique, but it's "smart" enough and I guess it's basing it on the program name and time.

Is there any easy workaround to this? Or iis this what everyone deals with?

Recently added the OTA module to my H3 and have set some timers for selected shows on OTA during Primetime that I'd like to record and get the better quality due to OTA. I have PTAT activated for all 7 days. However, the timer is being ignored, since I also have the same program set to be saved from the satellite locals. So I'm having to go into the timers and restore the OTA instances for each program, as it is marking it as a duplicate timer.

I guess I figured that since it was a different channel that the H3 would treat the timers as unique, but it's "smart" enough and I guess it's basing it on the program name and time.

Yep, I have seen that too on my H3s. I always go back and check and do a restore of the OTA timer if needed.

If you are happy getting the recording from the OTA channel, why not just delete the timer that is set to save from the PTAT/Sat channel?

I'm greedy and want them both for redundancy! We don't always get shows watched within the PTAT lookback period, so having them both is a security blanket. Still dialing in the antenna too so don't want to depend 100% on it.
In Indy, I see no difference between OTA and Sat locals. So, I just let PTAT do it's stuff. Most likely, I'm going to delete it after I watch it anyway!

Not to be critical, although I guess I inadvertently am, but what exactly is the allure of PTAT? II've never understood it. I can't imagine anyone watches every show on all four networks every night. Especially on an Hopper 200 or sling, when that tuner can be freed up for other purposes. I mean, why not just set a series timer for the shows you all actually watch?

Reactions: charlesrshell
Not to be critical, although I guess I inadvertently am, but what exactly is the allure of PTAT? II've never understood it. I can't imagine anyone watches every show on all four networks every night. Especially on an Hopper 200 or sling, when that tuner can be freed up for other purposes. I mean, why not just set a series timer for the shows you all actually watch?
Many people watch network programming. Often the programming is on different channels at the same hour. Before the H3, this was beneficial because you could record both of those programs on the same tuner, as well as the other two that subs may be recording. Now, with 16 tuners on the H3, that need is less needed.

I love PTAT. I have it turned on full blast. Don't ever have to worry about setting timers. With HWS had less conflicts headaches.

Reactions: pattykay

My wife uses it a lot because she'll browse through the recordings and find something she wants to watch that she didn't know was on.

If all you are trying to do is get the autohop to work on your OTA, just enable PTAT for one day and for one network and pick a day and network that never conflicts with the OTA timers. For autohop to work, all you need is PTAT on at a minimum.

Reactions: JSheridan
If all you are trying to do is get the autohop to work on your OTA, just enable PTAT for one day and for one network and pick a day and network that never conflicts with the OTA timers. For autohop to work, all you need is PTAT on at a minimum.
Thanks but that wasn't my goal. I want the OTA for the better picture quality, but I like the idea of having the dish local recordings as backup.

Reactions: pattykay