PTP Satellite network

djnrg787

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Aug 26, 2005
Hi we have a office in st. louis and one in ethiopia, and the infastructure in ethiopia is less then reliable. So i was thinking how about a ptp network via satellite but im having issues finding a provider, does anyone know of any providers that have coverage in northern africa and will make a private network to the states, someone thats decently priced not looking for something super expensive, also if theres no providers you can think of do you know any that will just have internet for the location in ethiopia, i would most likely have to go over and install myself as its in a very remote location. I would prefer a provider out of the states or europe.

Need to clarify your terminology slightly, doing so may draw more helpful responses. I say this because PTP - in industry language - usually means point to point. This is important because point to point is usually defined by a single satellite shot; you at one end, the satellite in the middle, the distant station at the other end.

To do that, each end has to be under the same satellite. And there isn't a big choice of GEO satellites that cover both St Louis and Ethiopia simultaneously. you might have to consider a double hop, or cable from one end to a satellite terminal enjoying mutual coverage with the distant end.

//greg//

It looks like you're at the about same longitude as Egypt, Israel, Kenya, Saudi Arabia, Tanzania, Turkey, Ukraine, and even Moscow.

Depending on their use of spot beams, maybe an ordinary satellite internet provider from one of those places would work?

Then you could just set up a regular VPN from Ethiopia to St Louis.

I use Netgear FVS318's, and they work fine (although it probably would be a good idea to have a preconfigured spare out in the wilderness).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts