Public Interest channels now in HD-only package

I wonder why CSPAN and CSPAN2 are not "Public Interest" channels?

It seems to me that if there ever were "Public Interest" channels, those would the first 2 priorities.

CSPAN is PI, but CSPN2 is not. CSPAN covers the House, and CSPN2 covers the Senate. Dish seems to think that the public is only interested in the former.

As an HD-only subscriber, you are entitled to the PI channels, you just have to get the right CSR. Pop open a chat window and say something along the lines of "I get most Public Interest channels, such as FSTV but I do not get CSPAN. Can you tell me why not?" and the CSR should officially add the PI pack to your account free of charge. That'll get you CSPAN, but not CSPN2. They did it for me.

CSPAN is PI, but CSPN2 is not. CSPAN covers the House, and CSPN2 covers the Senate. Dish seems to think that the public is only interested in the former.

As an HD-only subscriber, you are entitled to the PI channels, you just have to get the right CSR. Pop open a chat window and say something along the lines of "I get most Public Interest channels, such as FSTV but I do not get CSPAN. Can you tell me why not?" and the CSR should officially add the PI pack to your account free of charge. That'll get you CSPAN, but not CSPN2. They did it for me.

Did you need another dish because what you wanted wasn't on your dish or was it all on your present dish?

Did you need another dish because what you wanted wasn't on your dish or was it all on your present dish?

I signed up with dish earlier this year for the HD-only package, and the installer had no idea such a package even existed. He installed two dishes, which may or may not both be necessary. This setup was enough to get CSPAN and the other PIs.

I called tech support to ask. The CSR looked up their list of PI channels and CSPAN is NOT on the list she said.

Also, where is the chat function on the dishnetwork site? I am using FireFox so maybe the chat doesn't work with FF?

The thing is the law that mandates Public Interest channels also PROHIBITS the same company/organization from having more than one channel as a PI channel on any single system. Other examples: CCTV9 is a PI channel CCTV in spanish is not. KTV is a public interest channel. Angel 1 and 2 are not. TBN is a PI Channel. Church Channel, Smile of a Child, Enlace, or JCTV cannot be PI on Dish.

See ya
Tony

The thing is the law that mandates Public Interest channels also PROHIBITS the same company/organization from having more than one channel as a PI channel on any single system.

Ah, well that would explain it. Too bad Book TV is on CSPN2, I'd rather have it than CSPAN. Can't have everything I suppose.

bgsmallwood, the chat is at DISH Network -- Contact Us -- And since it works fine for me as an Opera user, you should have no trouble using it with Firefox. If you get someone that says CSPAN isn't PI, point them to DISH Network -- Channels

Thanks for the tip guys! Just enabled CSPAN! :up

Ah, well that would explain it. Too bad Book TV is on CSPN2, I'd rather have it than CSPAN. Can't have everything I suppose.

bgsmallwood, the chat is at DISH Network -- Contact Us -- And since it works fine for me as an Opera user, you should have no trouble using it with Firefox. If you get someone that says CSPAN isn't PI, point them to DISH Network -- Channels

Thank You. I will contact them as soon as there is someone available for me to chat with.

Wuggles, thanks for the 2 links.

I tried all day long(3 separate times) but their computers were down all day.

I contacted tech support via the chat link and got CSPAN added right away today.

Thanks for the help!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts