Public Service Announcement: The Hopper can bring your Internet to it's knees!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

tropez

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 15, 2012
United States
So yesterday I'm playing a game of League of Legends on my PC. I notice my ping time is up in the 300-400 range where it's usually in the 40-60 range. I didn't think much of this until my game stared, then I could tell it felt very laggy, I would click to move and my guy would stand there for a couple of seconds then move, something was wrong.

Luckily I have a pretty high end SonicWall firewall at my house. It has Application Flow monitoring built-in so I can see what's using my bandwidth. I went into the interface and it seemed that a service called IDM was using up all of my bandwidth (I have a 10Mbps down connection with Time Warner). At first I didn't know what IDM was, but the SonicWall linked me to this. So in essence, it's a download accelerator type application like FlashGet. When you download something, multiple threads are opened to the remote server, each requesting sections of the file. This speeds up downloads, but it's like having multiple file downloads going at once, so it can easily eat up every drop of bandwidth you have available if the remote servers can send faster than you can receive.

So I changed the view to look at what device was initiating the IDM traffic, assuming one of my PC's had uTorrent or some other threaded download going. Nope, it was the Hopper! It must have been downloading a few of the movies I had rented (for free) via OnDemand a few minutes earlier, but I couldn't tell for sure (no "downloads" view within the Hopper). So the Hopper has a built in IDM client it uses for these downloads. This is pretty cool from an IT geek perspective, but for the average Joe, wondering why their Internet is slow (especially noticeable for gaming), this could be a pain in the rear.

I just went to bed after figuring this out, but I wanted to share with the team. As of right now I don't see a way within the Hopper to throttle download speeds or IDM threads, so out of the box it has the ability to bring your Internet to a crawl, just FYI. I think I can limit this via my SonicWall Firewall, but that's not something an average user wants to mess with.

Just FYI in your travels if you start to see slow Internet after you moved over to the Hopper. It may be OnDemand!

Here's a wild thought. Don't play games while you are downloading VOD.

Here's a wild thought. Don't play games while you are downloading VOD.

Umm, that would be okay if I was the only person in the house. It's unrealistic expectation of the average family though. I just shared this so that those who run into issues may gain some insight.

I'm lucky to see 2.6Mb/s on my 3Mb/s service. And that's my only option other than a sat connection.

I claim the VIP receivers do not do this, as evidenced by trying to watch a second video while the first is still downloading. They're all (well, my 612 and 722) single-threaded. Seems the Hopper is multithreaded, and I too have seen clients like that suck my connection dry. If there is some sort of round-robin going on, the Hopper will still get almost all the time and your games will get an insignificant fraction of your bandwidth.

I think Dish is going to have to get rid of that IDM service. This is not going to work well for the vast majority of us with sub FTTH speeds.

I agree, not everyone can afford a very high speed connection and The Hopper should do this. Just typical junk from Dish Network!!!. I can do VOD on Directv and it does not bring my internet connection to it's knees.

.....Just typical junk from Dish Network!!!. I can do VOD on Directv and it does not bring my internet connection to it's knees.

And, I gather thru simple math, it does not download as much as fast.

But I do agree, Dish should not seize all available bandwidth.