Puerto Rico DACO new anti-discriminatory law

I wonder if Manteca read the document he posted:
"SECTION 2: ---would be considered discriminatory any significant differences in access, sales, products, goods, services, warranties and delivery that has no real justification based on shipping costs, taxes, fees, requirements imposed by the federal government or state-based constraints in licensing, contracts, permits, patents, copyrights or any other aspect which is directly or indirectly beyond the control of the business. The company that limits access, sales, product, product, service, warranty and delivery must provide proof that such limitation is justified."

Essentially the fact that Puerto Rico is geographically separated from the lower United States by over 1000 miles and the cost of providing service to that geographical region is beyond the control of the company. Alaska and Hawaii are also subject to the same restrictions. The only difference (and it's a big one) is that since their population voted for statehood (unlike PR) they have representation in Congress and were able to put stipulation in satellite legislation forcing local channels. But guess what? PR already has those!
well PR DOES have a representive to Congress..but depending who controls congress..their vote may or may not count...the Senate is a totally different story

Quetzsat 1 at 77W will start service around the first of the year. It has two almost idential beams, East and West, the only significant difference being that the West Beam does not cover Puerto Rico and the East Beam will have a solid signal in Puerto Rico with something like a one (1) meter antenna. So, there is a chance that things may improve.

Dish/Echostar had plans to move Echostar 8 to 86.5W in February 2012 after it was replaced by Quetzsat. It would have provided a full 32 transponder coverage with small antenna for Puerto Rico and the US. It would have substituted for a brand new satellite Echostar was supposed to build for that slot. But, the deciders at FCC canceled their license to operate at 86.5W, stating that an 8 year old satellite (with another 6 years or so of life remaining) was not "state of the art" so there will be no DBS satellites at 86.5W. Sure seems to me that someone at FCC has forgotten their mission ( get more satellite coverage now, not 10 or 15 years from now).

--- we got access to the satellites, the missing channels are already linked to those satellites and there is no limitation to receive those channels by the broadcasters, so, where is the justification? - start billing us for the fact that we don't receive the same programming as the states, not billing the same price for less service ---
The things is its their satellites and when you sign up for dish they are the ones selling you the programing and they can do anything they want

They will launch a new sat Directv around october or novembre that will hav beams for Puerto Rico!
!/QUOTE]

Directv has no satellites scheduled to launch. Directv 14 was released for construction in spring of 2010. The normal 24-30 month construction schedule means it will probably be available for launch in late 2012.

--- we got access to the satellites, the missing channels are already linked to those satellites and there is no limitation to receive those channels by the broadcasters, so, where is the justification? - start billing us for the fact that we don't receive the same programming as the states, not billing the same price for less service ---

Bro....sometimes somethings have to be standardize....accross the board. Otherwise there is a big problem. I also want more HD channels...but we have space problem in the sats. Just hoping though that we can get more HD channels in the future.

What pisses me more off though is that there are spanish channels that are part of A200 package but blocked for PR. I can understand Telemundo & Univision but Galavision & Telefutura....those are not even in PR on OTA so why they are blocked for PR??

-- i know, trolls are the ones that the authorized dealers hate when we discover that they're robbing us in conspiracy with the providers! - why that obsession to hate the ones that request that our money is going for the service and not for your pockets? - i never thought that this law is making the dealers running scared with the pants down! - ha! ha! ha! - now it's our time to nail you down! - my work is done! ---

well PR DOES have a representive to Congress..but depending who controls congress..their vote may or may not count...the Senate is a totally different story
Don't want to take this too far off topic, but no... the vote never ever counts. The delegate (not representative) from PR can cast a vote but the vote can NEVER be the deciding vote in a tie. IOW it doesn't count. The delegate cannot introduce legislation. He can lobby for legislation through the caucus but he cannot introduce it himself. And finally there is only one delegate instead of 6 or 7 voting representatives (and two senators) there would be. IOW, there is very little political clout in DC and the little clout PR does have in DC now can be taken away on a whim!

Manteca- dial it back a bit. The dealers have no control over the company's policies. their only option is not to sell the service. And your option is NOT TO BUY the service and get something else.

What pisses me more off though is that there are spanish channels that are part of A200 package but blocked for PR. I can understand Telemundo & Univision but Galavision & Telefutura....those are not even in PR on OTA so why they are blocked for PR??

The rights to the programs and movies on those channels are sold to local channels in PR. They have the exclusivity.

They will launch a new sat Directv around october or novembre that will hav beams for Puerto Rico!
!/QUOTE]

Directv has no satellites scheduled to launch. Directv 14 was released for construction in spring of 2010. The normal 24-30 month construction schedule means it will probably be available for launch in late 2012.
That's the one they are counting on Tocayo (means we have the both names Nelson) Employees from DirectvLatin America here are praying to get that new bird on the air because Dish is kicking ass with them.

Direct PR is struggling against dish in PR. Due to onelink action some of my family moved to dish. They checked direct offer but choose dish because more bang for bucks. Hoping though directive gets their act together here. Better for everybody specially for us.

I do not believe that this law will pass Constitutional muster. There is a doctrine called "pre-emption". Think of the Constitution as a "contract" between the states (and for this purpose, Puerto Rico is a state). There are powers granted by the states as a group to the federal government and Congress can regulate an industry on a national basis, totally forclosing the states from making further rules on the subject. Courts have consistantly held that broadcasting is such an industry. The FCC makes ALL of the rules on that subject, states cannot make additional ones.

This would clearly go to court, not a Puerto Rican court, but the US District Court for the District of Columbia, and the appelate courts up from there, for years.

Further, it would be a simple matter for DISH to simply "sell" its Puerto Rican operations. Either legitimatly or to a dummy company, and thus avoid the issue.

The realtiy, of course, is that a little geographic and economic knowledge goes a long way. The Earth is round. Puerto Rico is 1000 miles further away from the signal than the mainland. Puerto Rican per capita income in 64% of that of the poorest state and about 55% of the national average. Pay TV is a luxury item that depends on disposable luxury income. According to the University of Puerto Rico, 97% of Puerto Ricans speak Spanish as a first language and, while 90% have at least some knowledge of English, 95% do not speak "fluent" English. DISH is a provider to TV services, the majority of which are in English.

Direct PR is struggling against dish in PR. Due to onelink action some of my family moved to dish. They checked direct offer but choose dish because more bang for bucks. Hoping though directive gets their act together here. Better for everybody specially for us.

Yeah Raja they can do much their getting their ass whip! They are counting on Directv US my cousin from the south part of the Island is a supervior there and she tells me that they are praying each day to det that bird finish and in the air because they are gettin g their asses beaten real bad she tells me that the pressure is real bad for all the employees

Hi People

It is sad but a reality. I have to say that Sam hit it on the nail. It is true we are paying the same amount of money and not getting the same service. But this is regulated at a Federal level by the FCC and their is no way a local state law could be upheald against the constitution of the United States; that is the rule of the land as a Nation and PR is a territory with US citizens covered by that rule of the land. So PR law is a joke because it is not enforsable. The other point Sam brings is market economics; Puerto Rico per capita income is half of the rest of the nation. Go and defend that you supporters of the current status quo. Puerto Rico needs to be a state as soon as it can be done because of this and many other matters. Puerto Rico posses no political musle in congress where all the real laws that apply to PR are legislated and we do not have any say on that. So at the end I am sure that for Dish as a company with so many costumers on the island probably beign the #1 provider of pay TV here it is not a wise decision to pull out of the market. And eventually they will come around to understand that they need to provide the same service for the same price if they want to mantain their current lead on this market just because the market dictates it that way and not because of the local laughable laws beign put in place by the local government. For PR to make any real changes to polices implemented at a national level we have to become a state their is simply no other way around this.

As for the language barrier, even though is true that possibly the mayority does not speak fluent english that does not mean they do not understand it. I am sure the mayority of the peolple understand perfect english, is just that we do not get to practise it speaking it among owerselfs. But just ask any english speaking person that has come and visit Puerto Rico and they will tell you they have no problem speaking with people anywhere on the island. My father is the perfect example of this he has been here for more than 40 years and still does not speak good spanish and uses english for work as for his daily day to day. That clearly means people here have no problem with the english language in practice. Hell that is the real reason Dish is king here because people are seeking the english programing and that is why Direct TV with their Latin American programing is just clearly not giving the poeple what they want. People here are already expresed that consern with Direct TV. Puerto Rico is clearly on matters of language at an advantage over any other American in the nation, we have knowledge and access to both languages since we are born. So Sam in this point I disagree with you; I got to sitll see any regular American try and speak spanish fluently or even at a level that we in Puerto Rico speak english. Simply their is no comparison we have an advantage there. And if you think for a second that in the near future you are not going to need spanish you are in for a big wake up call.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)