Puerto Rico equipment

aikoentp

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 30, 2008
Peoria area Central Illinois
I live in VA. I used to live in PR about 10 years ago and may be moving back. I have a 1.8m and a 1.5m with a SW 64 switch config. What bird is used for HD. I will have to get new LNBFs , I currently have legacy and need to config with Dish Pro. Will I need a 3rd antenna 129?

If I were you I would point on dish at 61.5 and the other at 72.7.

I dont think 72.7 reaches there

There is a dish in PR that gets 110 & 119....I think its a 30" dish (or maybe 36"). Most HD for there is on 110

Yes. Nothing in HD in 61.5 for us, and we can't see 129 or 72.7. Our HDs are on 110 and 119 both. You can use both your dishes with your SW64, or get the new 30" dish that points at both sats.

PR only uses 110 and 119. Cant see eastern arc except 61.5 which has nothing for us now.

Oh and you will lose some HD channels and will get HD locals (abd, cbs, nbc, fox) with crappy quality.

aikoentp said:
So all HD programming is on 110? I have 2 722's so I know I have to change the LNBF's to DPP. Are you sure PR doesn't use the eastern arch for HD?

DPP equipment are not given in PR. It's DP only. But you can use your legacy switch & lnb with 722k provided they still work.

indicator.gif
Searching for an available agent
You have been re-queued.
You have left the queue. If you still need assistance please try back later.
You have left the queue. We hope you have found what you were looking for.
There are no agents available to chat with you right now. Please try again later.
There are no agents available to chat with you right now. Please try again later.
You have been removed from the queue. Please contact us by email.
You are currently number 1 in the queue.You should be connected to an agent in about 00:01.The average amount of time a customer has to wait is 00:03.
chat_agent.png
Adriel (ID: BSC) (Listening)

chat_agent.png
Adriel (ID: BSC): Hi, my name is Adriel (ID: BSC). How may I help you?
chat_agent.png
Adriel (ID: BSC): Hello Don.
chat_agent.png
Adriel (ID: BSC): How are you doing today?
chat_enduser_message.png
Don Burgett: Hi, good thanks
chat_agent.png
Adriel (ID: BSC): That's good to hear!
chat_enduser_message.png
Don Burgett: what equipment is being uded in Puerto rico?
chat_agent.png
Adriel (ID: BSC): The same equipment is used in Puerto Rico also Don.
chat_enduser_message.png
Don Burgett: so thy are using a dish 1000 reflector?
chat_agent.png
Adriel (ID: BSC): Yes Don.
chat_enduser_message.png
Don Burgett: what HD channals are available there? and what bird has the HD? do I need aan eastern arch configuration?
chat_agent.png
Adriel (ID: BSC): Are you looking to move the service.
chat_enduser_message.png
Don Burgett: I am going to be moving there. I have a home there.
chat_agent.png
Adriel (ID: BSC): Okay Don.
chat_agent.png
Adriel (ID: BSC): The same HD channels that are included in your package are available.
chat_enduser_message.png
Don Burgett: If a dish 1000 reflector on the eastern arch,will I need the super dish set for the eastern arch? and will dish mover apply?
chat_agent.png
Adriel (ID: BSC): Yes the DISH mover will apply.
chat_enduser_message.png
Don Burgett: Cool, When I'm ready I'll Give you a call
chat_agent.png
Adriel (ID: BSC): Sure Don.
chat_agent.png
Adriel (ID: BSC): Do you have any other questions for me?
chat_enduser_message.png
Don Burgett: Well, I'm not sure of the configuration. I have 2 antennas there now for a legacy dish 500 w/ a SW64. Not sure of what to do
chat_agent.png
Adriel (ID: BSC): You can leave the old DISH at the old residence.
chat_agent.png
Adriel (ID: BSC): A new one will be supplied at the new residence.
chat_enduser_message.png
Don Burgett: Yeah, I know that, I had Dish before in PR, so I still have the old antenna set up there
chat_enduser_message.png
Don Burgett: OK thanks, Have a good day

chat_enduser_message.png
Don Burgett: what equipment is being uded in Puerto rico?
chat_agent.png
Adriel (ID: BSC): The same equipment is used in Puerto Rico also Don.
chat_enduser_message.png
Don Burgett: so thy are using a dish 1000 reflector?
chat_agent.png
Adriel (ID: BSC): Yes Don.
chat_enduser_message.png
Don Burgett: what HD channals are available there? and what bird has the HD? do I need aan eastern arch configuration?
chat_agent.png
Adriel (ID: BSC): Are you looking to move the service.
chat_enduser_message.png
Don Burgett: I am going to be moving there. I have a home there.
chat_agent.png
Adriel (ID: BSC): Okay Don.
chat_agent.png
Adriel (ID: BSC): The same HD channels that are included in your package are available.
Don,
I am not sure about those statements. I can be wrong, but I think that the PR current antenna is a 30" antenna which is not the same as the 1000. I can be mistaken, since I own old 2 mts. dishes, but I remember people here talking about the "new" PR antenna. Please be sure to double check that.

About the HD, I don't know what package you have right now, but I compiled a list of all available HD right now for PR. Please check the list to see if you are going to miss any of your current HD programming.

We have complained (maybe a lot :)) about the lack of parity between HD in CONUS vs. here, same packages (I have AEP), same cost, but less HD. So please check the list and let us know if the info you were given is correct.
You can find the list here, in the "100 channels in Puerto Rico?" thread:

Hope this helps.

Puerto Rico uses the DISH 500 PR with access to 110 and 119 satellites. 1000 series satellites won't work because there is no line of site for EA satellites.

Yeah, thanks I can't get a staight answer. I do know that there are HD channels on 61.5. From what I've read, the problem was getting CS to authorize them. I have the Gold pachage (I think) in VA. Anyway I have a legacy setup @ my PR property. Thats a 1.8m, 1.5m and a SW64 Switch. I have combiners, splitters, ground blocks and all of the connectors I'll ever need ( installed here for a while too). I started installing Dish back in '98 in PR. But, I've been in the States for 7 years and I know things have changed. I wouldn't want a small antenna (Bigger is Better). If I need to configure for 61.5 I'd get another 1.5m and re-align my 1.8m. I'll buy some DP duals to take with me when I go and that should give me all I need to make it work.

the only HD available on 61.5 are locals from spotbeams (not PR locals), the HD conUS were removed a time ago. with echostar XV at the 61.5 slot with a 48" dish the signal boosted to 80% in PR, now with quetsat replacing echoXV, there will be no signal (i think) for PR until echostar XVI arrive to that slot earlier next year

Last edited:
At a latitude of 66W would be tough to get an Eastern Arc to work,

PR and USVI use a 30" dish to pick up 110 and 119. Gets us about 100 HD channels. Do we get everything the CONUS gets no, but with the network affiliates all going HD most everything I watch is in HD. Only channel that I watch regularly in SD is HLN, but except for sports and movies I don't care.

Like manteca said.
In practical terms, right now there is nothing for us in 61.5, except 9393- 3ABN, 9394- KBS, 9405-Pentagon, 9406- ARTS, 9413- ALMA.
While Echostar XVI carries a spotbeam for PR with 5 transponders (if I am not mistaken), nobody knows what they are going to be used for, or if they are going to use it. I, for one, have a Dish pointing 61.5 now, and am not planning on moving it till we know more of what this means for us.

Try the new pr small antenna. It's very good actually & I have very less signal loss & you will probably have the same with the big one. Plus if you need hopper you need dpp ( as a installer told me)

Yeah, thanks I can't get a staight answer. I do know that there are HD channels on 61.5. From what I've read, the problem was getting CS to authorize them. I have the Gold pachage (I think) in VA. Anyway I have a legacy setup @ my PR property. Thats a 1.8m, 1.5m and a SW64 Switch. I have combiners, splitters, ground blocks and all of the connectors I'll ever need ( installed here for a while too). I started installing Dish back in '98 in PR. But, I've been in the States for 7 years and I know things have changed. I wouldn't want a small antenna (Bigger is Better). If I need to configure for 61.5 I'd get another 1.5m and re-align my 1.8m. I'll buy some DP duals to take with me when I go and that should give me all I need to make it work.

Make sure the 1.8m looks at 110 and the 1.5m looks at 119. You will need to set up your account with a PR address to get all the hd available to PR (most of the HD are on spotbeams). For the moment 61.5 does not offers anything interesting but that may change with Echo XVI (I hope so). 72.7 and 129 (the satellites with the majority of the CONUS HD) have no footprint for PR. No way you could get an Eastern Arc or Western Arc antenna to work correctly in PR. With the top package you will get less than 80 HD channels (which is basically half or less than half of what is available on CONUS) and that is what is available to PR and only from 119/110.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)