Puerto Rico Residents with the 30" Dish (New small one) Post your signal Strength

Symbol

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 24, 2009
Puerto Rico
I kind of searched around the forum and didn't find precise information regarding the signal strengths on the small dish antenna used in Puerto Rico and the VI. Most of what I see is people with the 4.5' , 5' and 6' Dish Setups.

SAT 110W

TP 14 53
TP 15 61
TP 16 45
TP 21 53

SAT 119W

TP 14 55
TP 15 71
TP 16 67
TP 21 75
?

since it's been raining a lot here in Puerto Rico in the last few months i have been getting the signal loss messages quite a few times.

Here's my numbers. Looking at yours I'm doing much worse.
SAT 110W

TP 14 39
TP 15 53
TP 16 51
TP 21 57

SAT 119W

TP 14 50
TP 15 52
TP 16 41
TP 21 40

since it's been raining a lot here in Puerto Rico in the last few months i have been getting the signal loss messages quite a few times.

Here's my numbers. Looking at yours I'm doing much worse.
SAT 110W

TP 14 39
TP 15 53
TP 16 51
TP 21 57

SAT 119W

TP 14 50
TP 15 52
TP 16 41
TP 21 40

Where are you located?

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

I have a VIP722 and just got out of contract but thinking of upgrading to hopper but not happy with rain fade issues. And was thinking my numbers are due to my antenna being on my backyard instead of roof (live in apt garden don't have access to roof) or some tree branches near the line of sight (i don't remember the signal strenght numbers being this bad two years ago) so maybe the tree needs a trim (will work on that this weekend). If I can't fix and run out of solutions, may have to consider other providers, even though Dish has always been my favorite TV Service Provider.

I have a VIP722 and just got out of contract but thinking of upgrading to hopper but not happy with rain fade issues. And was thinking my numbers are due to my antenna being on my backyard instead of roof (live in apt garden don't have access to roof) or some tree branches near the line of sight (i don't remember the signal strenght numbers being this bad two years ago) so maybe the tree needs a trim (will work on that this weekend). If I can't fix and run out of solutions, may have to consider other providers, even though Dish has always been my favorite TV Service Provider.

Trim the trees first, if that doesn't help. Get a tech to re-align the dish. Im in Bayamon.

I am in Bayamon & yes....it has been raining quite a lot. But the signal loss is not that bad atleast for me. It has gone out sometimes but most of the times...I get "switching to SD channel" & for some reason the SD works while HD gets signal loss.

Either way...I cant complain much because I have some obstruction & yet the signal works good. I will try checking the signal levels when in home

I am in Bayamon & yes....it has been raining quite a lot. But the signal loss is not that bad atleast for me. It has gone out sometimes but most of the times...I get "switching to SD channel" & for some reason the SD works while HD gets signal loss.

Either way...I cant complain much because I have some obstruction & yet the signal works good. I will try checking the signal levels when in home

HD and SD are on different satellites so when HD goes, SD will serve as a backup. I look forward to seeing your signal levels :)

IIRC - Puerto Rico is outside the CONUS footprint of these satellites, their service is provided by spot beams.

IIRC - Puerto Rico is outside the CONUS footprint of these satellites, their service is provided by spot beams.

IIRC, it's well within the conus beam of sats at 61.5. Once Dish (largely) moved HD national channels off 61.5 and onto 72.7, PR and VI customers could no longer get HD channels without what I regard as extreme measures (spotbeams) from WA.

Yup, most of our programing is on Spot Beams. Especially HD channels. The problem is that Dish is installing the new small dishes in a move to save money over putting up two large 4.5' Dishes.

With my 6 year old 4.5 dishes I had almost zero rain fade issues when E14 launched but due to our weather rust ate the bolts and metal brackets on them so I had to get the new antenna installed.

So.. The trim to the tree didn't really do much difference. My hope now is, if i take the Hopper upgrade, they will realign for the installation. Although talking to my wife she isn't really bothered by the service (she loves it) so imagine she would love Hopper even more.

So.. The trim to the tree didn't really do much difference. My hope now is, if i take the Hopper upgrade, they will realign for the installation. Although talking to my wife she isn't really bothered by the service (she loves it) so imagine she would love Hopper even more.

Techs here are super lazy(Mostly the young ones. There are super cool old timers that are super!), if you decide to take the upgrade make sure to MAKE him go to the roof and have him check the alignment.

You won't believe some of the young employees dish has installing their services in PR. They always want to spend the least time in your home so they do everything super fast and end up screwing something up.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)