Pulling the Plug on Voom Subscribers

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

joep

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 27, 2004
Woodland Hills, CA
Will EchoStar give Voom subscribers a definitive date of pulling the plug (say the end of the month) or will they simply turn off the switch without any notice?

From a legal standpoint, does anyone know if E* or Voom will be required to give some kind of notice of when they will completely shut down the service?

If Voom is truly doomed and the end is near and based on many of the comments I have read in this forum, Voom’s std will probably not be picked-up by E*. I have also read that if your std is “on” while the service is completely deactivated, the std becomes useless as an OTA receiver. I am sure many people would like to continue to use the Voom std as an OTA receiver afterward.

If legally, no notice is required, I am thinking of unplugging my two Voom receivers before I go to work and/or sleep and plug it back in when I am actually using them to safeguard against E* pulling the plug without any notice. Just a thought…

It will be Voom who is pulling the plug before it hands over the satellite. Look for info from them.

Who knows what VOOM will tell its subs?
After all, it was telling its employees everything was fine and they would be working for an ongoing business while Charlie was signing the purchase agreement.
One day the signal just won't be there.
I can't believe anyone will have much, if any, advance notice.

hongcho:
The regulatory approvals have to do with Dish using the satellite, not with Cablevision pulling the plug whenever it wants to.

I thought about this too. If there are 35-50K subscribers out there, I'm sure we are in the minority in even knowing what is going on. I would bet most Voomers don't even know this board exists and don't read the WSJ. So, they are sitting there fat and happy unaware that the plug could be pulled in barely over a week. It will be interesting to see what V* plans to do, if anything, to put them out of there ignorance. Not to do so would be very unbusinesslike and unprofessional to me but, to a dying company, I guess "who cares"????

Well, I have seen two DSL companies go dark. One did it with 30 days notice, and the other with 24 hours notice. I expect that we will get a day's notice on 999, and then a day of every channel being 999, and then "click". The FCC issue is the only holdout we hopeful few have.

I can't imagine what it would be like if every channel was 999, talking about all the upcoming programming they aren't showing any longer...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts