PVR 721 & two televisions?

Paul73

Original poster
Apr 13, 2004
I have a question regarding connecting a PVR 721 to two television sets in different rooms:

I plan hooking up tv(1) with the S-video output and tv(2) with the single RF output.

Are these outputs on separate tuners? I am hoping they are so I can watch different channels in the two different rooms at the same time. Or is this not possible with this receiver and I am stuck with watching the same channel in both rooms?

Thanks for any help.

BB

Sorry, the 721 has two tuners, one output - hence the 21 designation (although only the newer receivers follow that standard - 111, 322, 522, 721, 811, 921). However, there is a PIP feature.

For more info on the 721, click here, but it sounds like you actually want a 522.

SimpleSimon said:
Sorry, the 721 has two tuners, one output - hence the 21 designation (although only the newer receivers follow that standard - 111, 322, 522, 721, 811, 921). However, there is a PIP feature.

That is not entirely correct.

The 721 has a number of outputs. It has (1) Rf output; (1) S-Video output and (2) sets of composite audio/video outputs. I know I can feed one TV off the S-video and another TV off the RF output, as I was able to do that on my old 301 receiver that had even fewer output options than the 721 -although the same channel was always on both Tv's.

I guess what you are saying is Rf output and the S-Video output are connected to the same tuner - is my assumption correct her? Does anybody know?

Thanks,

BB

GaryPen said:
Paul - There is only ONE single simultaneous program signal out of all of those outputs. That is what Simon meant.
Correct. All the video outputs will show the same picture - either one of the tuners, or a recorded show.

I always thought that Dish should have put a second tv output in the 721 and 921, notice how the 322 and 522 now has two two tv outputs. I believe that the two tuner receivers will have two tv outputs for now on to take full advantage of both tuners.

Stargazer said:
I always thought that Dish should have put a second tv output in the 721 and 921, notice how the 322 and 522 now has two two tv outputs. I believe that the two tuner receivers will have two tv outputs for now on to take full advantage of both tuners.
Actually, the x22 receivers are a royal pain. IMHO, the only reason they exist is to save E* a few bucks on power supplies and cases, and the extra disk if it's a PVR. Remember, the TV2 can only use an RF feed if it's more than a few feet from the receiver - and the picture quality suffers because of that.

SimpleSimon said:
Correct. All the video outputs will show the same picture - either one of the tuners, or a recorded show.

Thanks for the clarification on the output signals!

Another quick question for you 721 experts......

How much of a signal and/or picture degradation will I experience if I do a 100-125Ft. cable run off the receiver to a second tv(2)? Will I need a signal booster of some type? Not worth it?

Thanks Guys..........

Using RG-6 wire to split a tv output to a second tv would help. I would first try to run the wire and see if you see a signal degration, and if you do, then connect a amplifier to it (like the kind you use for an outdoor antenna). Make sure you have good connections when doing this.

721 software

DVR 522 Content Download

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)