PVR 721 & two televisions?

Paul73

Original poster
Apr 13, 2004
I have a question regarding connecting a PVR 721 to two television sets in different rooms:

I plan hooking up tv(1) with the S-video output and tv(2) with the single RF output.

Are these outputs on separate tuners? I am hoping they are so I can watch different channels in the two different rooms at the same time. Or is this not possible with this receiver and I am stuck with watching the same channel in both rooms?

Thanks for any help.

BB

Sorry, the 721 has two tuners, one output - hence the 21 designation (although only the newer receivers follow that standard - 111, 322, 522, 721, 811, 921). However, there is a PIP feature.

For more info on the 721, click here, but it sounds like you actually want a 522.

SimpleSimon said:
Sorry, the 721 has two tuners, one output - hence the 21 designation (although only the newer receivers follow that standard - 111, 322, 522, 721, 811, 921). However, there is a PIP feature.

That is not entirely correct.

The 721 has a number of outputs. It has (1) Rf output; (1) S-Video output and (2) sets of composite audio/video outputs. I know I can feed one TV off the S-video and another TV off the RF output, as I was able to do that on my old 301 receiver that had even fewer output options than the 721 -although the same channel was always on both Tv's.

I guess what you are saying is Rf output and the S-Video output are connected to the same tuner - is my assumption correct her? Does anybody know?

Thanks,

BB

GaryPen said:
Paul - There is only ONE single simultaneous program signal out of all of those outputs. That is what Simon meant.
Correct. All the video outputs will show the same picture - either one of the tuners, or a recorded show.

I always thought that Dish should have put a second tv output in the 721 and 921, notice how the 322 and 522 now has two two tv outputs. I believe that the two tuner receivers will have two tv outputs for now on to take full advantage of both tuners.

Stargazer said:
I always thought that Dish should have put a second tv output in the 721 and 921, notice how the 322 and 522 now has two two tv outputs. I believe that the two tuner receivers will have two tv outputs for now on to take full advantage of both tuners.
Actually, the x22 receivers are a royal pain. IMHO, the only reason they exist is to save E* a few bucks on power supplies and cases, and the extra disk if it's a PVR. Remember, the TV2 can only use an RF feed if it's more than a few feet from the receiver - and the picture quality suffers because of that.

SimpleSimon said:
Correct. All the video outputs will show the same picture - either one of the tuners, or a recorded show.

Thanks for the clarification on the output signals!

Another quick question for you 721 experts......

How much of a signal and/or picture degradation will I experience if I do a 100-125Ft. cable run off the receiver to a second tv(2)? Will I need a signal booster of some type? Not worth it?

Thanks Guys..........

Using RG-6 wire to split a tv output to a second tv would help. I would first try to run the wire and see if you see a signal degration, and if you do, then connect a amplifier to it (like the kind you use for an outdoor antenna). Make sure you have good connections when doing this.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)