PVR Can Record in SD But NOT HD - is there a Fix for this?

jsattv

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 4, 2006
Well I installed a 1 TB WD10-EADS SATA HD today in the Azbox Premium Plus, and the Hard Drive works well / records on all Standard Definition Channels but NOT on the HD channels such as on ABC HD Net on 99.0W. It starts recording then the picture breaks up. Yet the reception on my HDTV is fine. Is there a special setting to record on HD? Nothing in the PDF Manual on this as far as I can see, or is it maybe to do with Streaming?

Jsattv,

There is a problem with "some" HD channels. If they are using a high bit rate in the transmission, they will be viewed just fine when received and monitored with your television set, but they will break up and stutter when recorded. I am not sure of the limitations (what bit rate is the maximum possible).

As far as I have heard, there isn't a solution for this yet. Also, the reason why is not completely known (i.e. hardware related or software related?).

RADAR

Jsattv,

There is a problem with "some" HD channels. If they are using a high bit rate in the transmission, they will be viewed just fine when received and monitored with your television set, but they will break up and stutter when recorded. I am not sure of the limitations (what bit rate is the maximum possible).

As far as I have heard, there isn't a solution for this yet. Also, the reason why is not completely known (i.e. hardware related or software related?).

RADAR

People say that the limitation is bitrates over ~ 20Mbps, but I'm not sure how universal this is. I'm guessing that it depends a bit on the hard drive used, and the format of the video. I have ALMOST gotten some video to playback which had bitrates up close to 25 MBps, but other times had problems with media that was less than 20 Mbps. I generally don't use my Azbox for recording. I do 99% of my recording on computer based receivers.
However, there has been ONE post that claims to have a cure for the recording issue, and I intend to give it a try when I get some of the other tasks done around here. And that is to replace the Azbox's memory module that the OS resides on with a HDD. The person who described this indicated that he could record most of the high bitrate channels that the Azbox previously choked on.
The HDD replacement of the memory module is a bit sloppy, since the HDD needs to be external, at least with an Elite. It seems possible that with a Premier or Ultra that you might be able to partition one big HDD to function both for the OS and recording, but I think perhaps another option would be to use TWO of those little laptop hard drives. I'd think that you could easily fit two of those into the space of one HDD in the Premeir, and possibly fit them into an Elite too, although you'd have to run the power supply through the case, so it's probably just as easy to leave the top off an Elite.
Anyway, I really want to try this, but I have been running into so many weird issues lately that I've been consumed with solving other problems.

I think the WD10-EADS is a green drive, but shouldn't effect HD. I've have one in an HTPC for OTA recording and Playon.

The HDD replacement of the memory module is a bit sloppy, since the HDD needs to be external, at least with an Elite....

Another choice would be a SSD, if they ever come down in price... 100.00 for a 64GB is still to high.

Concord, yes the WD10-EADS is a Cavier Green HD replacing the WD1000CSRTL in all our Stores. It does run cool with no heat problems at all - so far.

Most of the HD Channels on 99.0W are ABC HD Net and NONE of them will record in HD without breaking up!! One thing I need to mention is that at times when switching from a SD Channel over to a HD Channel you can sometimes initially see a Freezing Or Tearing up of the Picture, - but it stabilizes pretty quick, but I'm wondering if this is something that the Azbox Premium + PVR can't deal with as mentioned by B.J. and Radar.

Has anyone succeeded in actually recording a channel or program in HD, if so on what Tp & Satellite?

I have recorded on the ABC channels at 99W with a SR of 29.997 without breakups. Can not say the same for anything over that SR.
I knew that there was an issue with high br recordings and figured it is a flaw in the receiver.

I have recorded on the ABC channels at 99W with a SR of 29.997 without breakups. Can not say the same for anything over that SR.
I knew that there was an issue with high br recordings and figured it is a flaw in the receiver.

Well I was able to record the Promo on 99.0W on GDMX_2-8_HD_2. It was the high pitch sound and the Display that said when the next program was coming on. But on those ABC HD Net channels - Nothing! Just a bunch of freezing - starts off okay for a second or so on the PVR then freezes. Raining heavily tonight & snow and rain for tomorrow so likely won't be able to experiment any further for a while.

One other problem is that at times when I manually record from the Record Menu sometimes I can't reacess that Menu again to Shut it off. I keep pressing the Remote Menu Button and its like its locked out!! The only way I can get PVR Recording to shut off when this happens is to hit the Red Record Button twice. Then the Menu seems to be okay again. Possible Software Glitches??

Success at last. Was able to record in HD on 121.0W - STO, as well as on 103.0W - just NOT on HD net on 99.0W, so as Radar & B.J. have noted, it's likely Satellite and Bit Rate related, but at least HD recording is possible on AZbox with the cool running WD EADS 1 TB Hard Drive.

One other problem is that at times when I manually record from the Record Menu sometimes I can't reacess that Menu again to Shut it off. I keep pressing the Remote Menu Button and its like its locked out!! The only way I can get PVR Recording to shut off when this happens is to hit the Red Record Button twice. Then the Menu seems to be okay again. Possible Software Glitches??

No glitch, it is the design of the receiver. To turn off a recording you need to hit the red record button again, and a box pops up asking if you want to stop.
The lockout of the other menu keys is there so you do not accidentally change the channel while recording. Many different recording devices act the same way.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)