Q about using c-band BUD for new ku FTA system

Status
Please reply by conversation.

ravenbrk

Original poster
Apr 1, 2006
SW Missouri, USA
I heard about FTA this past weekend and am interested in getting started. I used to have a c-band BUD a few years back, but gave up on it after lighting zapped a few lnb's, my dog dug up and chewed through the long cable run several times, and the old actuator kept giving me grief and making me re-program all of the birds every time I went too far E or too far W.... So then I went to Directv and have had that for a few years now until this month. Earlier this month I got fed up with rate changes every time I turned around and with paying that much money when I was only watching about 3 channels.

So that leaves me with two 18" round dishes pointing at 101 & 72.5, an Aspen Eagle MS44D 4x4 switch, and courtesy of the previous owners of my present home, a 10' fine mesh BUD mounted about 10' up in the air on a 3 1/2" pole. Now the BUD hasn't been used in at least 3 years, the actuator motor isn't even wired (and the cable to the lnb was cut at the ground by some less than savory individual. It is currently stuck pointed at (best guess on a windy day) G1 or G5.

After reading through a lot of posts on this and other FTA forums, the consensus seems to be the bigger the better as far as dishes go. And I've seen some posts about people experimenting with attaching a C-band LNB to a "large" ku dish, but I'm having trouble finding any info about using a ku lnbf on a BUD. I've seen a few people mention in passing the existence of combo C/ku lnb's, but other than that I haven't found anything. So given that "bigger is better" wouldn't a C-band BUD be ideal for me to use?

What I would like to do is have a stationary system (whether that be some sort of multifeed hack or two dishes switched) to pull G10R and AMC3. What's a good way to get there from here? Should I use the BUD? Should I shell out more bucks for a smaller parabolic dish of some sort? Is any of the hardware I have going to be useful for this new endeavor? Any recommendations for where to begin are greatly appreciated.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)