Q: Are you enjoying the Super Joey over 2 Hoppers?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Spike

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 11, 2005
Suburbs of Milwaukee
I currently have 2 Hoppers with Slings. We do a lot of sharing of recordings in our house. And I'm considering switching over to a Hopper with Sling and a Super Joey system for the sake of smooth integration. So, I'm wondering. How are those of you that made the switch already enjoying the Super Joey and Hopper with Sling after having made the change?

Edit: If I were to add an OTA antenna to the potential Super Joey setup, wouldn''t I regain the loss of the tuner I had prior to the transition?

My hesitation is losing that extra tuner for recording.

I had two hoppers previously with dish, then went to Directv. I am now back with dish and got the super joey instead of the second hopper. I can not say that I miss the extra tuner, although some might. I do like the integration of the hopper and super joey better as it operates better as one complete system, as it obviously was designed that way.

Hopper/Super Joey (potential) tuner count: 5 SAT 1 OTA
Dual-Hopper (potential) tuner count: 6 SAT 2 OTA.

It just depends on what you want more. Full integration, or more tuners?

As for Super Joey reliability, I have seen a couple threads here and there regarding Super Joey issues, but not too many. With the Super Joey being the newer technology, it is more likely to have bugs that need to be ironed out.

Hopper/Super Joey (potential) tuner count: 5 SAT 1 OTA
Dual-Hopper (potential) tuner count: 6 SAT 2 OTA.

It just depends on what you want more. Full integration, or more tuners?

As for Super Joey reliability, I have seen a couple threads here and there regarding Super Joey issues, but not too many. With the Super Joey being the newer technology, it is more likely to have bugs that need to be ironed out.
I want both! Can't wait for DISH to iron out the issues so we can have more than one Hopper with more than one Super Joey. A Super Hopper system would be awesome.

Remember with 2 accounts that you would be paying for the programming twice.
You could do all non-network recording on one but you could not move EHD between them.
Seems a bum deal to me.
-Ken

I had two hoppers ,till DISH pulled the old "bait and switch" trick, on the price of the second hopper. I saw that coming last year when they offered the second hopper for the same low price as one joey: $7.00. I knew that once we all got a second hopper they would go up on the price. So I decided that since the promo credits for $5.00 would end sooner or later I would go ahead and get the super joey to take it's place. I saved $2.00 a month over the second hopper ,but lose a sat tuner & one ota tuner. But I love the fact that I can see everything integrated in one menu . I don't have to go to the bedroom to set timers when my hopper is full on recordings. I don't have many conflicts now with 5 tuners and a wife and son competing for tuner time. Over all I like the super joey better, of course if the hopper craps out , I'm screwed. But, I have an older 211k that I use to power my terk antenna for ota. I can always add it to my account till my new replacement hopper shows up.

Reactions: foghorn2
I don't have many conflicts now with 5 tuners and a wife and son competing for tuner time.

Going from being able to record 6 shows to now being able to record 5 with you, your wife and your son recording, how is that working for you? Aren't the three of you fighting for tuners to record from? We use up 5 tuners on certain nights in a hurry.

Sweet! So, I would regain the tuner that i would lose, as long as I recorded Prime Time shows from the OTA tuner. Is that correct?
PTAT is available via one of your sat channels, not OTA tuner.

I had two hoppers ,till DISH pulled the old "bait and switch" trick, on the price of the second hopper. I saw that coming last year when they offered the second hopper for the same low price as one joey: $7.00. I knew that once we all got a second hopper they would go up on the price. So I decided that since the promo credits for $5.00 would end sooner or later I would go ahead and get the super joey to take it's place. I saved $2.00 a month over the second hopper ,but lose a sat tuner & one ota tuner. But I love the fact that I can see everything integrated in one menu . I don't have to go to the bedroom to set timers when my hopper is full on recordings. I don't have many conflicts now with 5 tuners and a wife and son competing for tuner time. Over all I like the super joey better, of course if the hopper craps out , I'm screwed. But, I have an older 211k that I use to power my terk antenna for ota. I can always add it to my account till my new replacement hopper shows up.

I just can't agree with your "bait and switch" claim. If Dish was truly trying to bait and switch customers then they would have been promoting the fact that you could have two Hoppers instead of preventing customers from having two Hoppers. Remember how hard it was for people to get a second Hopper originally? Everyone wanted to take advantage of the price since it was a great deal. As soon as Dish realized that a lot of people wanted two Hoppers then they started allowing it and raised the fee.

For it to be a "bait" then Dish would have had to push people into getting a second Hopper, not preventing.

I just can't agree with your "bait and switch" claim. If Dish was truly trying to bait and switch customers then they would have been promoting the fact that you could have two Hoppers instead of preventing customers from having two Hoppers. Remember how hard it was for people to get a second Hopper originally? Everyone wanted to take advantage of the price since it was a great deal. As soon as Dish realized that a lot of people wanted two Hoppers then they started allowing it and raised the fee.

For it to be a "bait" then Dish would have had to push people into getting a second Hopper, not preventing.
Sorry... I call BS. Don't have enough time to retort at the moment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: MikeD-C05

Sherman , we all know that you sell DISH and you will always stand up for anything that makes them look bad,but I simply won't go into another argument over my view. I say we agree to disagree over this one too.

Reactions: 3HaloODST
Going from being able to record 6 shows to now being able to record 5 with you, your wife and your son recording, how is that working for you? Aren't the three of you fighting for tuners to record from? We use up 5 tuners on certain nights in a hurry.
My son is 14 and only watches a few select kid oriented shows that come on at all times of the day and night. So it is easy to record his stuff . As for my wife , we both watch mostly network shows and a few select cable shows so that uses a tuner or two nightly. She does love reality shows and decorating shows ,but luckily they repeat those again most nights and she can catch the next recording that day. The only real conflicts have been when I try to record a lot of movies: I have free premiums for 3 months till Sept. Since my timers are already in priority order , the movies that create conflicts are then recorded at another time because the hopper has that feature to catch the movie again when it airs. We don't watch any live tv other than a few ota news shows around 11:00am and they don't conflict with any sat tuners. With two hoppers I was using the main one for my tastes and my wife and kid shared the 2nd one. With the super joey it was an adjustment at first ,but now we have a system for watching network shows. ON her shows we set a timer to save a copy of the recording to her folder . I watch on ptat folder and delete as watched . She watches her shows in her folder. It works.

Reactions: Spike
Sherman , we all know that you sell DISH and you will always stand up for anything that makes them look bad,but I simply won't go into another argument over my view. I say we agree to disagree over this one too.

I may be a Dish retailer but I only stand up for Dish when I believe other are wrong or misunderstand things. I can be very critical of Dish as well, trust me, I have my own gripes with them. I try to make sure everyone on this site gets accurate information and not just customer's opinions.

In a case like this it is pure opinion on my part and on your part. I can't say that either of us are correct because we will never know what Dish's plans were. I do suggest you look up bait and switch though because I don't believe what Dish did was classified as such.

Reactions: Tampa8

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)