Quick way to get a rehit?

Andrewwski

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 24, 2007
Relatives have Dish at their cabin. Electricity to the house gets shut off when they leave (they're on solar, so want to eliminate all phantom draws). Problem is if they're gone for a few weeks the receivers lose their authorization.

Used to be really easy, you could enter the error code in the automated tech support and it'd automatically send a rehit. Have not been able to get that to work lately, it always transfers to a CSR. Then about half the time it's a chore to convince them that it needs a rehit (they usually want you to reset the receiver, wait for it to reacquire signal, etc).

Any way to still do this without talking to someone?

Yep. Call DIRT. PM them, actually. Cuts out a lot of nonsense.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Reactions: KAB
Yeah you can't do the quick automated phone thing anymore. Yes, DIRT is the way to go!

Contact DIRT for this? There has to be a "trick" to get a rep to do it. Maybe tech support would be better than customer service... Tell the rep you've been out of the country for a month and you only get channel 100 and a few others. When the rep sees you have ATxxx package, a re-authorization has to be the first "fix" to try.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Previous Thread
There has to be a "trick" to get a rep to do it. Maybe tech support would be better than customer service... Tell the rep you've been out of the country for a month and you only get channel 100 and a few others. When the rep sees you have ATxxx package, a re-authorization has to be the first "fix" to try.

Or, just PM Dirt. ;)

I have to do this with my 211 receiver often during football season. I just call up the regular Dish number, press zero a few times and then I get to a rep. Once I have a rep on the phone I just tell them I have a receiver that hasn't been connected for a few weeks and needs programming sent to it again. If they tell me to do anything else I just tell them that I've done everything else and that this is the only other step that needs to be done. I rarely have any issues and it only takes me around 5-10 minutes.

And what if none are around?

Then go do anything that does not involve watching TV. I'd rather practice patience than try to play tricks with a CSR, which most likely will yield more frustration.

Reactions: thechaz05
If you want to know what to tell the CSR on the phone, tell them the reciever is off, like it hAs been in the past, you have already reset it(they just verify that it's been done) and all you need from here is a hit. Tell them you have the error message 005(it's just the programming not auth message). That should do the trick.

Reactions: harshness
Then go do anything that does not involve watching TV. I'd rather practice patience than try to play tricks with a CSR, which most likely will yield more frustration.

The more knowledge you have going into talking to a CSR the better. You just tell the CSR exactly what you need done and let them know you know what you're doing. If they refuse to do what you ask then just tell them you need to get going and try calling again or use the chat on the website.

Probably just as easy to call a CSR as find someone from DIRT who is online. Plus there's no internet up there, so they'd be calling me, and I'd be contacting DIRT. But usually they're contacting me and I'm calling a CSR (otherwise they'll spend an hour on the phone with them...).

I do tell them it's been unplugged for awhile and many times that works, but there's some that insist on rebooting, etc. I mean it's not a huge issue, but used to be so nice when you could do it automated, I'd be on the phone for like 30 seconds instead of 5 minutes.

Contact DIRT for this? There has to be a "trick" to get a rep to do it. Maybe tech support would be better than customer service... Tell the rep you've been out of the country for a month and you only get channel 100 and a few others. When the rep sees you have ATxxx package, a re-authorization has to be the first "fix" to try.

You can use the chat on the website. Tell the agent you have an 005 error on your screen. After they verify things haven't moved, the next step is for them to send a hit. If you really don't want to stay in chat with them long, tell them it worked about a minute or two after they send it.

It's really hard for a CSR to screw up doing troubleshooting for an 005 error. Not impossible, I know...some agents...well....'nuff said.

As a Dish employee, my opinions are my own, and do not represent my employer in any way.

Reactions: ChadT41
Somedishguy. You in broadband? Cause you know they can screw up 005 out if pure laziness and stupidity. But yes, I agree. Say you have done the reset and no other changes, and it's all channels. Then just ask them for a hit. 10 seconds. After that lie and say it's working(sometimes you don't actually have to lie and it will be working). But those crafty lil guys still find a way to screw up those three steps. "Verify subscribed, send hit, reset reciever". That's all. Before I got promoted to TL, I wanted to choke some of them

I miss the automated hit send as well. I have a receiver I use for RVing and it's often disconnected for weeks at a time.

It will reauthorize itself once it's hooked back up to a dish, but it sometimes takes a couple of days.

Somedishguy. You in broadband? Cause you know they can screw up 005 out if pure laziness and stupidity. But yes, I agree. Say you have done the reset and no other changes, and it's all channels. Then just ask them for a hit. 10 seconds. After that lie and say it's working(sometimes you don't actually have to lie and it will be working). But those crafty lil guys still find a way to screw up those three steps. "Verify subscribed, send hit, reset reciever". That's all. Before I got promoted to TL, I wanted to choke some of them

Nope, not in broadband. I've done most everything else but that. Technically, I'm not even on the operations side, if that gives you a hint.

That's a humorous comment/suggestion to make at this website. You'd think that for many here, life doesn't exist outside of sitting in front of their TV.... :rolleyes

Just so you know...SOME of us are disabled and cannot go very far away from our TVs. So yes, all I do for the most part, all day, is sit in front of my TV (or my PC as I rebuild it for shites and giggles out of boredom for the umpteenth time). Ergo, the TV is vital to me, while waiting for CS at DISH to pull their heads out of their rear ends is neither vital, nor fun. I am not an idiot, so asking me if I have reset or unplugged the DVR multiple times, especially if I have already told you I did, is ANNOYING! Any "tricks" that I can learn from here to circumvent the CSR rigamarole are appreciated in the extreme.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)