Quick way to get a rehit?

It would not be a surprise of CRSs were not familiar with Dish receiver operations or functions, all they operate off is a script: they plug in the problem, the computer gives them a flowchart to diagnose the trouble, you can't really expect any better.

There has to be a "trick" to get a rep to do it. Maybe tech support would be better than customer service...
Any "tricks" that I can learn from here to circumvent the CSR rigamarole are appreciated in the extreme.
Hence my first post on this topic. I'm not against DIRT by any means, but they are not here all the time and as luck would have it, someone may encounter this just as the last DIRT rep went off-duty for 8 hours, 16 hours, etc.

My bigger point is, we saw "abuse" of Dish's "executive office" team (they're probably DIRT, actually !! :D) and being asked to help with the simplest or minor things. People didn't even give the CSRs or tech support reps a chance - they fired off emails to this group as their first step. I know the DIRT people are very helpful and do as much as they can to help, but IMO, I consider them a back-up option. I will call Dish or use the chat option first and always have. Most of the time, I get whatever I need taken care of by doing this too.

Hence my first post on this topic. I'm not against DIRT by any means, but they are not here all the time and as luck would have it, someone may encounter this just as the last DIRT rep went off-duty for 8 hours, 16 hours, etc.

My bigger point is, we saw "abuse" of Dish's "executive office" team (they're probably DIRT, actually !! :D) and being asked to help with the simplest or minor things. People didn't even give the CSRs or tech support reps a chance - they fired off emails to this group as their first step. I know the DIRT people are very helpful and do as much as they can to help, but IMO, I consider them a back-up option. I will call Dish or use the chat option first and always have. Most of the time, I get whatever I need taken care of by doing this too.

I agree with you to a certain extent. There are times when I need something done now and don't care to wait for someone to respond to my PM. I usually just do the chat or call Dish but you and I are a little different than most customers. We know what we want done and we know exactly how to ask for it. The majority are not always sure exactly what they want done or how to ask a CSR to do it for them, this is where DIRT is very helpful.

It would not be a surprise of CRSs were not familiar with Dish receiver operations or functions, all they operate off is a script: they plug in the problem, the computer gives them a flowchart to diagnose the trouble, you can't really expect any better.

I am going to tell you "it depends". Maybe this is me being obvious, but a CSR halfway around the world does not have easy access to a working, active Dish receiver. For the US agents, CSRs do get plenty of hands-on experience with Dish receivers, and if they take advantage of it, they have very preferential pricing to have Dish in their own homes.

Do the CSRs use a "script"? No. The CSRs do have, however, a tech resource where they are given commentary and solution steps for most of the common issues and all of the error codes. (There are some inside terms and whatnot I'm not going to divulge here) Just so you know, the "common issues" list is well over 100 issues, and that does not include any error codes. So if you expect Dish agents to have it memorized, and always know exactly what is supposed to be done next without checking their screen, you'd be wrong.

Another member posted that members here tend to seriously over-utilize DIRT, and before that, contact in the executive offices, for remedial stuff that a regular agent can handle. You're probably aware that DIRT has tasks outside of this message board, and over-using or abusing them can make the wait even longer to get them to help with legitimate issues. I see people post here wanting DIRT to handle issues that 99% of CSRs that I know could handle easily. Does that mean EVERY CSR could handle it? Probably not. But really...troubleshooting a 005, for example, isn't rocket science.

I know the members here aren't the typical customers, and perhaps I am not the typical person that works in a Dish call center. I try not to take it personally when a few people here generalize and put down all CSRs (well, everybody except for DIRT) as know-nothings. I know that's not the case, and I also know it's very possible you have had a very incompetent CSR when you called in.

Being an ex employee, I have had nothing but issues with some of these csr's. Which saddens me, because as a former Supervisor, I made sure not only my team, but as many people I could reach in my center were well trained. I worked with other coaches to make that happen. And now that I'm just a customer, I have to deal with incompetence on my first call almost always. The second callback right away, even the Filipinos got it down. I'm guessing after reading notes, and seeing that I will call right back if I can't get assistance otherwise. I'm gonna give this peice of advice, and I would punch myself in the face if I still worked there saying this, but honestly, ask for the broadband department if you have tech questions. All BB agents work in the US, and typically are your most knowledgeable agents there. Downside, they get abused by every other department, and typically are either high wait times, or they deal with so much crap, they don't care anymore. But they are the brightest, and the phone equivalent of DIRT(I know how you can dispute that sir employee, but I have a reasoning). So just a tidbit to help someone that may just really need the help and is pushed beyond their tech breaking point.

Urg, well needed a rehit yesterday and tried the online chat. Eventually got one, but not before unplugging/plugging in/rebooting, even though I'd already done that. CSR told me it was "for documentation purposes" and that she could not send a rehit before I did this...

Then she had me going through and reading all the satellite status off the system info screen, making sure every satellite was being received, reading off the software version, etc.

After exhausting everything else, she finally sent the rehit. I think she was just trying to annoy me because I told her exactly what I needed in the beginning.

Was on chat for over 20 minutes to get a damn rehit. If any Dish higher ups are reading - add this feature back to the automated support.

Reactions: TheKrell
Urg, well needed a rehit yesterday and tried the online chat. Eventually got one, but not before unplugging/plugging in/rebooting, even though I'd already done that. CSR told me it was "for documentation purposes" and that she could not send a rehit before I did this...

Then she had me going through and reading all the satellite status off the system info screen, making sure every satellite was being received, reading off the software version, etc.

After exhausting everything else, she finally sent the rehit. I think she was just trying to annoy me because I told her exactly what I needed in the beginning.

Was on chat for over 20 minutes to get a damn rehit. If any Dish higher ups are reading - add this feature back to the automated support.

What did you tell the chat agent was the need for the authorization hit? If you specifically state an error code, like 005, the tech resource they use (or are supposed to be using) will get them to send a hit about 60 seconds into the call (or in this case, chat).

It sounds like the steps were done out of order. The other steps (verifying the receiver number, smart card number, etc) come much later. Should be a hit sent, wait 2-3 minutes to see if works, then go from there.

Either the agent followed the wrong steps, or you may not have been clear what the issue was. If you say something about signal loss, they will follow that flow, and that flow is NOT going to have an authorization hit sent.

As a Dish employee, my opinions are my own, and do not represent my employer in any way.

Yep, said error 005, programming not authorized, and that the receiver had been unplugged for several days and needed a rehit.

I have a post on a similar topic (bad 211k) but similar experience trying to get a fix. Went trough all of the "steps", multiple times and the CSR said she rehit it. I think my problem is bigger than that since 100 comes in momentarily and then goes out with the 005 message. Tried this on 2 completely different satellite setups (one a single LNB, the other a Turbo dish) both with high quality signals. She threatened to send me to Tech Support but never did - instead said I had bad weather in my service area and there is nothing she could do! This unit is in my RV and I am not IN my service area - even told her where I was! Frustrating....

UPDATE - DIRT member MattG was online and got me up in 10 minutes! How does one go about giving him a trophy point?

Now that I think about it, I rarely see DIRT posting anymore. Perhaps DIRT is being utilized a little too much by some? But there's also the fact that many of the members here offer helpful suggestions that solve a lot of the problems.

When I needed some of my receivers activated, I just used the online chat @ dish.com, since it wasn't complicated. I utilize DIRT for things such as bug reports and new installations. MattG, MaryB, ZachS in particular have been very helpful in situations that would've otherwise been a nightmare if handled through the bottom of the chain. Since DIRT, I have not had to utilize the executive offices, except for once, but that was after contacting DIRT and the executive offices called back. I'm sure the other DIRT members are just as helpful.

There are three instances in particular that were a delightful experience. In chronological order, the first amazing experience was when MaryB chatted with me on the phone and got my 722k account set up. Next was a nice phone conversation with MattG and prompt help in my first Hopper upgrade. Last, but not least, was a PM conversation I had with MattG. I had a three-Hopper setup at the time, but due to a software bug, the Hoppers would randomly lose contact with each other. At first MattG didn't think that three Hoppers could see each other anyway, but after a brief explanation of the issue, and a diagram of my setup sent, he determined that it was indeed a software bug. He said he would report it to the software engineering team. Less than a week later there was a software update, and all issues cleared up. That would've been a total nightmare to explain to the typical CSR.

Now that I think about it, I rarely see DIRT posting anymore. Perhaps DIRT is being utilized a little too much by some? But there's also the fact that many of the members here offer helpful suggestions that solve a lot of the problems.

When I needed some of my receivers activated, I just used the online chat @ dish.com, since it wasn't complicated. I utilize DIRT for things such as bug reports and new installations. MattG, MaryB, ZachS in particular have been very helpful in situations that would've otherwise been a nightmare if handled through the bottom of the chain. Since DIRT, I have not had to utilize the executive offices, except for once, but that was after contacting DIRT and the executive offices called back. I'm sure the other DIRT members are just as helpful.

There are three instances in particular that were a delightful experience. In chronological order, the first amazing experience was when MaryB chatted with me on the phone and got my 722k account set up. Next was a nice phone conversation with MattG and prompt help in my first Hopper upgrade. Last, but not least, was a PM conversation I had with MattG. I had a three-Hopper setup at the time, but due to a software bug, the Hoppers would randomly lose contact with each other. At first MattG didn't think that three Hoppers could see each other anyway, but after a brief explanation of the issue, and a diagram of my setup sent, he determined that it was indeed a software bug. He said he would report it to the software engineering team. Less than a week later there was a software update, and all issues cleared up. That would've been a total nightmare to explain to the typical CSR.

I am 99% sure DIRT does have other duties, other board to watch, other social media to watch. I totally understand people's frustration with the more incompetent CSRs, but I do think there are things that any agent can handle (but I get surprised daily).

As a Dish employee, my opinions are my own, and do not represent my employer in any way.

Being an ex employee, I have had nothing but issues with some of these csr's. Which saddens me, because as a former Supervisor, I made sure not only my team, but as many people I could reach in my center were well trained. I worked with other coaches to make that happen. And now that I'm just a customer, I have to deal with incompetence on my first call almost always. The second callback right away, even the Filipinos got it down. I'm guessing after reading notes, and seeing that I will call right back if I can't get assistance otherwise. I'm gonna give this peice of advice, and I would punch myself in the face if I still worked there saying this, but honestly, ask for the broadband department if you have tech questions. All BB agents work in the US, and typically are your most knowledgeable agents there. Downside, they get abused by every other department, and typically are either high wait times, or they deal with so much crap, they don't care anymore. But they are the brightest, and the phone equivalent of DIRT(I know how you can dispute that sir employee, but I have a reasoning). So just a tidbit to help someone that may just really need the help and is pushed beyond their tech breaking point.

I feel the same way every time I have to talk to a csr, very frustrating when you were the guy everyone went to for help.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Reactions: ChadT41
It is. Drives me nuts. But, you always end up getting the one fella that knows what they are doing and it makes up for everything. Besides, if I really have a question, I would rather come here at this point. This whole group are some pretty smart folks. I am happy I found a place that has an entire group of folks with the same will for knowledge on the subject as myself.

Now that I think about it, I rarely see DIRT posting anymore. Perhaps DIRT is being utilized a little too much by some?
Maybe they're spending so much time on minor issues that standard CSRs can handle that they don't have time. I know they're here and no doubt reading and possibly interacting with people via PMs but I've noticed a decrease as well. I'll bet their PM inboxes are quite full !

One nice feature of the new forum software is it shows who has read a thread. Doesn't this topic seem like one that would catch DIRT's attention ? Well, only MattG has read it.... Maybe they're looking for important or serious issues (so you'd better use good thread titles !) and one like this, they may see, and think "regular CSRs can do this just fine".

I've suggested the same thing that you mention in your 2nd sentence. I also saw it with the "executive office" or the "ceo@dishnetwork.com" email contact.

One nice feature of the new forum software is it shows who has read a thread. Doesn't this topic seem like one that would catch DIRT's attention ? Well, only MattG has read it.... Maybe they're looking for important or serious issues (so you'd better use good thread titles !) and one like this, they may see, and think "regular CSRs can do this just fine".
Ok, Matt read it, and perhaps/probably passed it along. No need for all to read.

Just looked over at http://support.dish.com/ and the DIRT folks are very active there....

Just wanted to give you guys a look into our job duties. Our number one priority is customer service. Our Facebook and Twitter pages are normally very active throughout day. We do not have anyone monitoring from 11pm to 6 am, so the mornings require extra attention. We also respond to all of our feedback on our DISH Anywhere app and dishanywhere.com. The users at support.dish.com are not as advance as the users here and require extra assistance. The users here are not your average user and a very good at helping each other before we are actually needed. You can always reach us by PM. Someone is always here 7 days a week from 6am to 11pm. I am available 6am to 5pm MT Wednesday-Saturday. Please shoot me a PM if you ever need anything.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts