Q? RE: Networking my PC with my AZBox

AcWxRadar

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 26, 2006
40 miles NW of Omaha. Omaha?
I would like to ask for assistance on this issue. I am not sure how to go about setting my Network up. Where would I even start?

I assume that I need to set something up in the FILE SERVER menu in SETTINGS first, is this correct? Or am I off in left field already?

RADAR

I would like to ask for assistance on this issue. I am not sure how to go about setting my Network up. Where would I even start?

I assume that I need to set something up in the FILE SERVER menu in SETTINGS first, is this correct? Or am I off in left field already?

RADAR
If it is a Windows pc then:
Control Panel>Network Setup Wizard>Shared Files
Then set up your remote network. Password protected of course.

Additional comments....
If you're FTP'ing to the Azbox, then your network is probably already functional, although personally I prefer to set everything up with static IP#s. I use Windows XP and/or Windows 2000 and Windows-2000 server or Win98 on most of the computers on my LAN, some have passwords others don't. I also make the shared directories so that anyone can access them without a password to simplify things.

Anyway, with XP, 2000, & 98, I just go into the MyComputer (actually I use explorer instead of MyComputer, but that's not important), find the directories that you want to share with the Azbox (and with other computers on the LAN), right click the directory, and there should be a Sharing or Sharing and security option. If you click on the sharing option, it will give you the option to share that directory, and give you a few options. The options seem to differ between the various operating systems. With XP, it seems pretty simple, I just checked the 2 boxes in the Network sharing area, and that was all I needed to do. With Windows 2000 server, the options are more complicated. I had to specify which users, and I think I chose ALL , and Guest , although probably all would have worked.

To set up the computer with static IP#s, I just right click on MyNetworkPlaces (probably has different name in newer Windows versions) and click properties, then select the appropriate wired or wireless network, right click and select properties. Then click on Internet Protocol(TCP/IP) and click Properties. I then select Use the following IP address, and type in an IP# far away from the IP#s that your router is giving out in the last number, but with the same first 3 numbers. For Subnet Mask, I use 255.255.255.0, and for default gateway, I input the IP# of my router. I also check Use the following DNS server address, and again enter the IP# of my router. Once you have everything with static IP#s then things don't get quite so confused, and the computers don't have to do quite as much searching to see who's on the network, plus you'll always know what IP# to use when trying to get to your computer from the Azbox or other computers.

Currently, I am not having much luck.

I have my PC (Windows XP) and router set to work with STATIC IP addressing and I have set the directories on my PC to allow sharing.

If I turn my firewall completely OFF, then I can see the drives on my PC, but I cannot seem to open them past that level.

In the firewall setup, I cannot find where to add the AZBox as an "exception" to be able to keep the firewall ON and still see the drives and directories. Isn't there a place where I can add the IP address of the AZBox to my list of exceptions?

Kinda stuck at this point.

Without knowing what make & model router/modem you're using it's difficult to know what filtering is used: IP or MAC address.
When you say you're turning off your firewall I presume that you mean the router firewall?
Does your router have a MAC address filtering option for network?
Some D-Link, Trendnet & a few others do have a MAC address filtering option in modem/router setup.
Hope this helps.

I have firewall turned off on my computers, and generally rely on my routers for protection, although it varies, depending on which router and which internet connection I'm using. So I'm no help relative to configuring a firewall. I wouldn't expect the router firewall to affect communication within your LAN though. My routers are pretty much just dealing with what goes on between my lan and the internet, not between my computers, except for specific routes I've set up between subnets.

Unless I misunderstood the OP wants to remotely access these shared files with a pc at another location.
Given that MAC addresses can be spoofed it could be a hole that might be breached if other security measures aren't employed. Guess we'll know more as he works this out.

For my system I am using a Windows XP SP3 PC (an ACER Aspire 9500 laptop) and wirelessly connecting to a Linksys WRT54G router.

The router has been configured to have DHCP disabled and the AZBox and the PC are set to use a fixed STATIC IP address.

The firewall that I am turning on and off is the WINDOWS firewall resident in my PC. I am also using a AVG security system here on this PC.

I am able to connect to my AZBox from my PC just fine and I can FTP files in that direction, but I cannot "see" my PC from the AZBox side of the fence for some reason.

Fooling around with it, I set the individual drives on the PC to allow sharing and I turned the windows firewall OFF and that allowed me to see these individual drives, but I could not open them beyond that point.

RADAR

I don't have the WRT54G but do have a WRT54G-L(Linux). I'll try some things tomorrow with my Azbox Elite & my trusty Panasonic CF72 Toughbook.
Are you using WEP. WPA or no wifi security?

For my system I am using a Windows XP SP3 PC (an ACER Aspire 9500 laptop) and wirelessly connecting to a Linksys WRT54G router.

The router has been configured to have DHCP disabled and the AZBox and the PC are set to use a fixed STATIC IP address.

The firewall that I am turning on and off is the WINDOWS firewall resident in my PC. I am also using a AVG security system here on this PC.

I am able to connect to my AZBox from my PC just fine and I can FTP files in that direction, but I cannot "see" my PC from the AZBox side of the fence for some reason.

Fooling around with it, I set the individual drives on the PC to allow sharing and I turned the windows firewall OFF and that allowed me to see these individual drives, but I could not open them beyond that point.

RADAR

Hi Brex,

Thanks, I am using WEP 64 bit (OPEN).

RADAR

Ignore what I said then when I said
I wouldn't expect the router firewall to affect communication within your LAN though. My routers are pretty much just dealing with what goes on between my lan and the internet, not between my computers, except for specific routes I've set up between subnets.
I didn't think about wireless access, I was just assuming you were hard wired to the Azbox. I hardwired my Azbox (only choice on Elite), although a couple of my computers do use wireless access.
My main router is a WRT54G2. I have the wireless security pretty much turned off, except that I'm using the MAC filter to only allow my own computers to access via wireless. Even that probably isn't necessary where I live, because I can't even see my own wireless system if I get more than 10' from the house (due to a metal roof), so someone would have to set up a dish or yagi antenna to even see my system from the end of my driveway, let alone from any other house. When I was running our town's computer, I had to set up a similar MAC filter, because over there, there were 3 or 4 houses close enough to connect to the wireless, and we had one house downloading movies in the middle of the night, putting us over the Hughesnet FAP limit.
But anyway, I guess this Azbox communication is easy for me, because I've pretty much disabled wireless security and computer security, and my only security is out to the internet. Anyway, hopefully Brex can help you out, as my security free system isn't the same, despite using the same router.
It's amazing how simple things are if you ignore security, but I guess that isn't an option for most.

Currently, I am not having much luck.

I have my PC (Windows XP) and router set to work with STATIC IP addressing and I have set the directories on my PC to allow sharing.

If I turn my firewall completely OFF, then I can see the drives on my PC, but I cannot seem to open them past that level.

In the firewall setup, I cannot find where to add the AZBox as an "exception" to be able to keep the firewall ON and still see the drives and directories. Isn't there a place where I can add the IP address of the AZBox to my list of exceptions?

Kinda stuck at this point.
After working with my wifi WinXP laptop & wired desktop for awhile I was able to add the Azbo:mad:MMP) to the network computers, but it just doesn't stay connected. Tried both dynamic & static addresses.

WinXP firewall exceptions are found:start>control panel>win firewall>exceptions tab. There are buttons for adding programs & ports, edit & delete. Also a 'What are the risks of...?' help link.

I had better success opening files from the Azbox with my Linux laptop, which makes me believe that Samba share is not enabled until a program is used like ACC in ToolBox. The tenet window in ACC or a Linux pc could be instrumental in setting up Samba on the Azbox for all users, but according to some things I've read in another forum the Azbox CPU & system could become so burdened by the added processes that performance & heat could be hindered.

I've got a few Linux reference books to read up on this subject(Running Linux, for instance) so I'm not beaten yet.:)

After working with my wifi WinXP laptop & wired desktop for awhile I was able to add the Azbo:mad:MMP) to the network computers, but it just doesn't stay connected. Tried both dynamic & static addresses.

WinXP firewall exceptions are found:start>control panel>win firewall>exceptions tab. There are buttons for adding programs & ports, edit & delete. Also a 'What are the risks of...?' help link.

I had better success opening files from the Azbox with my Linux laptop, which makes me believe that Samba share is not enabled until a program is used like ACC in ToolBox. The tenet window in ACC or a Linux pc could be instrumental in setting up Samba on the Azbox for all users, but according to some things I've read in another forum the Azbox CPU & system could become so burdened by the added processes that performance & heat could be hindered.

I've got a few Linux reference books to read up on this subject(Running Linux, for instance) so I'm not beaten yet.:)

Brex,

I thank you for your input on this subject. Right now, this issue will have to take a rear burner status until I get my system reset to a safe mode. Also, I am not extremely concerned with this issue. I am experimenting with it not because I want to utilize it, but because I want to know how to use it, apply it and consult others about it. I wish to be knowledgeable about all the options and applications so that I can help instruct others. If I cannot get something to work right, I cannot inform others of anything with accuracy or authority.

I will have to take a back seat and a departure from the whole process until I get all my PC's back up to par. Otherwise, I cannot trust the responses and operation of any of the programs that I am working with.

I have been set back quite a ways by a malware/spyware/virus problem. I cannot do too much until I fully recover from this event.

RADAR

I can very well understand your situation. I may have to quarantine Toolbox on my own pc,. but did manage to rid it of Trojan bugs with a registry cleaner & an additional Trojan cleaner with my AV suite.
Take care & best of luck with your recovery.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts