Q: RF attenuator, "high power", combiner

TuxCoder

Collector of Space Beams
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jul 8, 2004
Dayton, OH
I'd like some clarification for peace of mind on a few things regarding what I'd like to set up.

I have the E* 522 whose "TV 2" output is "high powered" (I forget the actual wording) as opposed to its TV 1 output. This is, as I imagine, to keep the signal strong across some number of splitters that may be used to distribute the TV 2 signal throughout the house. It came with an attenuator which must be used when connecting directly to a TV instead of through splitters.

I also just recently set up a FTA receiver and would like to combine their outputs into the house distribution. I bought a combiner from RadioShack (clearance, $1.49 or so :)) that has inputs for VHF Lo, VHF Hi, and UHF. The 522's TV 2 output is UHF (I'm using ch. 60) and the other one is of course VHF Lo (ch. 3). I added the combiner last night and put the attenuator on the combiner's UHF input coming from the 522's TV 2 out just to be safe (see the actual questions below). The combiner's output then goes to one splitter which branches off to a TV and another splitter, which itself has 2 TVs. On the first TV (behind the first splitter) both receivers had a great picture. On one of the further TVs the UHF signal was a bit snowy (like analog cable that had been split a little too much) but the VHF Lo signal was great.

So anyways, now to the questions. Basically, is the attenuator in a direct-to-TV setup to protect any equipment (receiver, TV) or is it just to give a better picture because otherwise there would be electronically harmless overload causing bad picture? Couldn't think of how to word that better... In other words, would removing the attenuator from the setup described above be hurting anything? My main fear would be the "high power" signal that enters the combiner would leak out the VHF Lo port and back into the FTA receiver's output causing bad things to happen to either of the two receivers. If it's safe to remove the attenuator, I'll do so to try to improve the quality on the far TVs. BTW, the quality previously with just the 522's output being split with no attenuator was great on all TVs.

Thanks for any info you can provide (sorry about the lengthy post too).

the attenuator is for the rf remote antenna. if tv 2 remote is acting up(intermittant, loss of functionality), you can hopefully solve issues by clicking in the unit inline between the antenna and reciever.

hope this can help.

peace

Hmm, I realized "page 19" wasn't very clear since the PDF file itself has a page 19. I meant the printed page 19 which is page 3 of that PDF file.

Anyways, I looked at PDF page 19... and ironically it does in fact talk about using the attenuator with the UHF remote antenna (what a strange coincidence). Sorry if that confused you but if you look at the file's page 3, you'll see my usage of that device in question.

I think the reason they want the attenuator used is so that the TV's tuner is not overloaded by the strong signal as you were thinking. Overloading a tuner can cause the tuner to create intermod signals that could be sent back out the cable connection and interfere with other devices possibly. You should follow the directions of the manual to keep things working properly.

Basically, is the attenuator in a direct-to-TV setup to protect any equipment (receiver, TV) or is it just to give a better picture because otherwise there would be electronically harmless overload causing bad picture?

sorry about my initial reply.

to answer the question - the attenuator's job is to kick the signal down if needed. (need would be deemed to me by visual picture quality- or as i just discovered -- fcc regulations in some instances.) In your case, you probably shouldn't use it - since your passing the signal so far. if your looking for protection maybe an inline surge supressor.

peace

S

Altitude Sports tips off today

Harmony Remote SST- 688---No Go on Mac

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)