QPSK and 8PSK. Whats the difference?

all of the SD channels on western arc are QPSK MPEG2. On Eastern Arc they are 8PSK MPEG4
MPEG2 QPSK is the older style of broadcasting. MPEG4 can fit more channels in the same bandwidth as MPEG2 does. 8PSK can fit more than QPSK. In the old days with DIsh they could fit 3 HDchannels on a MPEG2 QPSK transponder. MPEG4 8PSK its about 8 or so they can fit.
SD chanels its about 12-13 on a MPEG2 and MPEG4 I've seen almost twice that....

A provider can use any combination of MPEG2/MPEG4/QPSK/8PSK.

The SD only receivers are MPEG2. The 311/625/522 etc can handle some MPEG2 8PSK as Dish has some local markets like that. The 301 and older cannot
The HD receivers (VIP models) can handle MPEG2 and MPEG4 so they can be used on either arc.

Last edited:
And the sooner Dish gets this done, the better as it would certainly make 24/7 RSN's in HD or the addition of more HD possible. Of course, Charlie would prefer that people pay for it via the upgrade program before he gets to the point of having to do the swap-out for free.

And the 111. :( It was such a cute receiver, I'm surprised everybody keeps forgetting about it. I guess it wasn't on the market for long. Maybe even less than the 411.

Yes, the 512, 311 and 625 are effectively obsolete. They'll work for a while, in a limited fashion. I'd say a couple of years, at least.

The western arc will probably not go total mpeg-4 for years. There are way too many mpeg-2 recs running off it to replace.

From what I saw, 111s were junk. They were built to be cheap and it showed with really low life expectancy

512, 311, 625 are all awesome receivers, and mpeg2 signal modulation still has plenty of life left in it, but boy I sure am glad I've got a Hopper!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)