QPSK receivers will go dark Feb. 10

They were around when Dish started back in 96
It didnt even have timers on it (the 4000 did...that also added a UHF antenna)

I owned the 5000 which had a OTA (NTSC) tuner in it and had guide info....but only Prime Time events on ABC, CBS, NBC only
WOW, lots of history with DISH.

So, I think I already know the answer to this, but what the heck?! Does this mean that my 301 receiver and 510 DVR that currently reside in a box in my basement are pretty much worthless now? Should they be headed to a dumpster?
Make that recycle rather than the garbage dumpster... ;)

Reactions: Foxbat
They were around when Dish started back in 96
It didnt even have timers on it (the 4000 did...that also added a UHF antenna)

I owned the 5000 which had a OTA (NTSC) tuner in it and had guide info....but only Prime Time events on ABC, CBS, NBC only
Remember how the 5000 would let you know you lost the sat signal and automatically switch to OTA and would let you know when the signal was restored so you could switch back if you wanted. It was also the first receiver with caller ID display and the add on ATSC remodulator module for HDTV.

I guess I jumped the gun by taking my 4700 to the electronics recycle bin at our dump a few months ago instead of waiting until they officially went dark!! :biggrin I think I got dish to give me $10 credits for a couple of 510s and assorted other SD receivers a while back. Anybody need a slightly dusty DP 34 switch or a Dish Pro adapter? I could be persuaded to part with them for a modest fee. ;)

I don't see that early DVR built around a videocassette recorder. What was that thing called?

That was a pretty cool unit, it recorded the actual satellite bitstream so when you played it back there was no loss in signal quality. The 7100 was another cool receiver, with WebTV built in that was quickly abandoned but the receivers were more used for their DVR features - this was before the 501 was released.

And then there was the DishDVD receiver that never came to market. I couldn't figure out why Dish would want you watching DVDs over revenue generating PPV.

Reactions: TheKrell
Give people the thought that they have choice, and more will buy your product. H3 is a prime example of that. Why have 16 tuners when they can sell more expensive hoppers? Because people think they have a choice.

It's a 4000 or 5000. Look at the sticker on the back. It's a sticker letting you know you need the UHF antenna
I'm just going off what it says when you click to blow up the pic
(the first part is removed so it doesnt show the pic)

/media/echostar-3000-dish-satellite-receiver-with-remote-9c1_zpsfbwqx6qh.jpg.html

The 2000, 3000, 4000 and 5000 all looked the same.

The only difference was the sticker.

Just saying :)

Yep, Claude is right. And those old UHF receivers didn't have an IR sensor so the remote wouldn't work without the antenna. There was a UHF version of the 2000 too.

I thought that I had an 801 or something like that beginning with an 8, but do not see it listed on the old receiver list. Maybe it was with Directtv.

I thought that I had an 801 or something like that beginning with an 8, but do not see it listed on the old receiver list. Maybe it was with Directtv.
Maybe an 811. I had one of those, it became a 722 :), and I think it went bust a long time ago...

You mean that 2700 and 3700 I bought in 1999 are obsolete already! This is outrageous. If any of you guys who were going to file class action suits every time a channel was dropped can recommend a good lawyer.

You'd be MUCH happier with the local cable company here then! :p

Pretty sure the their non-hd/dvr boxes are the same ones used in the late 90s. I KNOW the UI is still exactly the same as they had in the late 90's, even on their HD/DVR boxes. Its beyond sad!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)