Q's about "Internet Radio" - the hardware radio

JonUrban

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
Eastern Connecticut
I was thinking of getting an internet portable Wi-Fi radio, and have a few questions.

I've seen a few of them on line, but can't find out how they exactly work. I mean, I figure that I connect them to my wireless router like any other network device, but how do you get stations?

Do you just dial in a web site that's a radio station site? For example, if I want to listen to WFAN, a sports station in NYC on my PC, I have to go to their website, select LISTEN, then a window pops up, I sit through a spot, then I hear the stream.

How do you do that with an "Internet Radio". Do I have to pay a service providor?

Sorry if these are redundant questions, but I am really clueless on this matter.

Also, is there a preferred unit that most folks like?

Get an iPad. :)

Thats what I use for Internet radio. If your coming by my office sometime let me know and I can give you a demo. :)

I was just in your building today, pulling the access system out of The Hartford floors (16,15,11,10). The parking lot was pretty empty.

Actually, I was thinking about that, but figured I'd wait for iPad, Mark II, whenever that surfaces.

I was thinking of getting an internet portable Wi-Fi radio, and have a few questions.

I've seen a few of them on line, but can't find out how they exactly work. I mean, I figure that I connect them to my wireless router like any other network device, but how do you get stations?

Do you just dial in a web site that's a radio station site? For example, if I want to listen to WFAN, a sports station in NYC on my PC, I have to go to their website, select LISTEN, then a window pops up, I sit through a spot, then I hear the stream.

How do you do that with an "Internet Radio". Do I have to pay a service providor?

Sorry if these are redundant questions, but I am really clueless on this matter.

Also, is there a preferred unit that most folks like?

You add stations through a web portal and their station database or you can add custom URL's through the same web portal and this information is downloaded
to your wifi radio.
https://www.reciva.com/

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)