Quality keeps spiking to 0%

Status
Please reply by conversation.

kymics

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 16, 2006
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I'm confused. I hooked up my Pansat 3500SD to my old 20" dual the other day. The guy I bought the receiver from was hacking signal, so I flashed it back to factory and then went from there. I set the Diseqc numbers for what LNBs I though they were running to. All his channels were still in the menu so I scrolled down to find NASA and Angel One and they both came in fine. GolTV was in the list but said "no signal".

I deleted all the channels and did a blind scan and then I seemed to be getting FTA channels from 110, but the screen it was showing Echo7 which is at 119. I tried switching the Diseqc port numbers, but since then I've got a different problem.

If I go to Antenna Setup and for say Echo7 and try one port, I get no signal and the other works. This confirms my original thought on the port numbers. But now even with the right port, the quality level keeps jumping from 75% to 0% and back again which is causing the picture to break up. I remember reading about this before, but my searches were unfruitful.

Is it a faulty Diseqc or am I doing something wrong in the set up?

I was hoping you wouldn't say that. I have to check again, but I believe there's only enough coax to run to the diseqc. When I switched over to FTA, I just swapped out the SW21 with the diseqc.

I think I can pull some more length from inside the house.

You could use a barrel connector or a grounding block to splice the two cables together for test purposes. Can get either at "The Source" (formerly Radio Shack).

Hi Kymics,

Try using Disecq location 1 and 2 (Avoid using Disecq loaction 4). Or like TiminMb had suggested, try the direct line into the receiver from each of the lnb.

Could be he had 119 and 110 flip flopped or had two lnbs on there and was getting both, and the receiver had them marked as one? Also, try each of how ever many ports you have, and make sure you are trying that on a real, live tp. Also, could be something in your setup is wacky, like maybe elevation or azimuth is a tad off?

It's possible that my dish is off. I used my old Bell receiver to lock the signal strength before hooking things up to my FTA receiver. I also had a friend's son helping me out on the roof and he might have bumped it while I was inside the house getting a wrench.

At various times, I got either NASA and GolTV so that tells me that I must have both LNBs connected. I'll try taking out the diseqc or swapping things around. It could also be a faulty cable between the LNB and the diseqc, so I'll try and narrow things down a bit.

Here are the steps I think you should try:

1. Remove disecq and manually connect one feed (barrel connector or a grounding block) back to the bell receiver for signal strength. Confirm what bird that is and label the line.

2. Repeat the same procedure on the other lnb - direct line to bell receiver for signal lock.

3. If signal confirm to be ok, hook back disecq 1 and 2 to the lines.

4. Go to your receiver and into each of the satellite and delete ALL the tp from the bird. After you delete all you will not see any signal strength. Do a Blind Scan on the satellite (Say Echo7). It will pick up all the tps from the scan, and this way you will know the you are on the correct sat.

Also try to unplug and replug the coax at the back of your receiver, maybe it could be lose there.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts