Quality PC program to rip Blu-ray's for easier access?

Unless I'm confabulating, this has already been litigated and found to be "fair use". An exception to the law.
The issue isn't whether or not you can have a "backup copy" but rather that there's no way to readily create one without using illegal (in the US) tools that are employed in an explicitly illegal act.

Sony vs the world doesn't apply because we're now talking about the digital domain where DMCA picks up and says that you're not allowed to defeat the copy protection -- a practical requirement of making a copy.

I'd need to see something definitive that there's been any chipping away at the meat of the DMCA and who it applies to; not just a vocal appeal to the court of public opinion by those who want to do what they want to do.

The issue isn't whether or not you can have a "backup copy" but rather that there's no way to readily create one without using illegal (in the US) tools that are employed in an explicitly illegal act.

Sony vs the world doesn't apply because we're now talking about the digital domain where DMCA picks up and says that you're not allowed to defeat the copy protection -- a practical requirement of making a copy.

I'd need to see something definitive that there's been any chipping away at the meat of the DMCA and who it applies to; not just a vocal appeal to the court of public opinion by those who want to do what they want to do.
Jaywalking isn’t legal either. To me, it is about spirit of the law. For home use only is not unethical. Movie is paid for. But the Mods here can decide where this falls for the board.

You're more than welcome to rationalize your position all you want as long as everyone understands the letter of the law is the rule of law until a judge (or group of judges) interprets it otherwise (which may have happened if TheKrell isn't confabulating).

I've seen lots of different interpretations by some fairly lofty legal concerns but only one interpretation counts in the end.

Well that was filled with a bunch of maybe's.
But if you are making a copy so that you may use a copyrighted product in case the original is stolen, damaged or destroyed, your conduct may fall within the doctrine of fair use.

Although fair use does not actually give permission to make copies of a work or otherwise use a work without consent, the doctrine provides a defense to copyright infringement.

Additionally, in some instances it may be unlawful to circumvent anti-piracy technology in order to make a backup copy of a CD or DVD.

Reactions: TheKrell
You're more than welcome to rationalize your position all you want as long as everyone understands the letter of the law is the rule of law until a judge (or group of judges) interprets it otherwise (which may have happened if TheKrell isn't confabulating).

I've seen lots of different interpretations by some fairly lofty legal concerns but only one interpretation counts in the end.
You are correct. And as you said, the only interpretation that matters is in the court.

I welcome the day when law enforcement has so little to do, they seek out people that rip their disc media for personal convenience at home.

The legal case for copies covers a very narrow use case so they can't say its impossible but they could do a lot more to state clearly what is expressly prohibited.

Buying a DVD or Blu-ray gives you a license to view the content on the disc in a private setting. It isn't an irrevocable license to do whatever else you want with the contents.

I finally got 5.1 audio to work. Downloaded the Leawo free blu-ray player and it supports 5.1 in Windows 10. Ripped "Spectre" using MakeMKV and the audio plays perfectly. Thanks to all who helped!!

Reactions: long_time_DNC
Update- I've ripped about 12 blu-ray's now using MakeMKV. No issues; good 1:1 playback of video and audio. Takes 1 to 1 1/2 hours to rip a single blu-ray. Average final size of file is 40-45 Gb. I highly recommend MakeMKV.

Update- I've ripped about 12 blu-ray's now using MakeMKV. No issues; good 1:1 playback of video and audio. Takes 1 to 1 1/2 hours to rip a single blu-ray. Average final size of file is 40-45 Gb. I highly recommend MakeMKV.

I recommend Handbrake to go to MP4s to make the file size better (about 1/10th). This is after the MakeMKV process.

After over a year of experimenting with Handbreak, I use MakeMKV to rip and Handbreak to reprocess and I end up with a file that is about 30% smaller than the original rip but is indistinguishable (visually) from original. Not sure why it's taking you 60-90 minutes to do a rip. I typically get one done in 25-40 minutes (depending on content length, of course)...

Protip: Nothing is illegal when there aren't repercussions. ;)

Be careful with MakeMKV. For some reason it checks the DTS core only by default every time. So it doesn't rip the full DTS-HD MA track.

You have to manually uncheck the DTS 5.1 track and leave the DTS-HD MA 5.1 one checked. Very annoying!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)