Please reply by conversation.

airgator96

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 6, 2006
Kansas City BBQ Heaven
Help:Questions about 120cm, and picking up ku/c

Hi there!

I'm so green to this I don't know where to start. I just looked through 12 pages of the postings here, and still have questions.

I'm looking to getting this system "Fortec Star 120cm satellite dish for C/Ku reception" http://eyeinthesky.net/cgi-bin/show_full_desc.cgi

My ideal situation is to have a 120 size dish able to pick up all the english KU bands, and as many C band feeds as possilbe without having to manually move the dish to view the channels. I'm KC if that helps.

1. Will this system pick up all the ku feeds with good quality?, and some of the cu feeds as well?

2. Do I have to manually move the dish to each position or does the motor automacticly do this?

3. Is there anything else I would need to get to make this happen?

4. Would it be better/cheaper to buy individual parts and work from there?

5. Is there anything special I have to do to pick up HD?

6. Also, is it difficult to add another receiver? What is needed?
If this is the wrong forum please move post

thanks for the help in advance.

Last edited:
1/ With the correct LNB yes!

2/ If you have a motor and you use USALS or DiSEqC 1.2 yes.

3/ Just cable :)

4/ Usually its cheapest to buy everything at the same time, very ofter it can be shipped together saving on shipping! (Whats wrong with our GOLD sponsors?)

5/ You would need a VERY expensive receiver or a DVB PC card. I use the DVB World USB receiver for 4:2:2 / AC3 Audio and HD

6/ All that's needed to slave to receivers together is a single short run of RG6 coax!

Since this web site is full of cool info, and I didn't notice the Gold Sponsors before... I will now go through one of them.

Is there any that you prefer?

Sadoun is pretty good. Shipping on a 1.2meter dish will kill you about anywhere you go.

PSB sells the BSC621 LNBF which will do C and Ku in one. Voltage controlled polarity switching too, not like the thrilling days of yesteryear when polarity was mechanically controlled.

I've looked over the sites. It looks like It going to be in the $500 range plus shipping to get the set up I want.

I'm wondering if I should just go for KU only? But then If I order another Sat for the C band I'm going to get nailed again with shipping.... who knows!

How many c band sats are you guys picking up with the 120?

thanks

Last edited:
Yes, I was looking to start a thread - "What can I get with a 1.2 meter and a C band lnbf".

I hope you're looking at a Stab HH120 for that dish too. Seems to be the only one rated for the weight.

Das Hammer said:
Yes, I was looking to start a thread - "What can I get with a 1.2 meter and a C band lnbf".

I hope you're looking at a Stab HH120 for that dish too. Seems to be the only one rated for the weight.

That would be a great thread!

Yes it has been very well noted about the HH120...

thanks for the INFO! :up

I have been playing with the BSC621-2 and a motorized 1.2M offset dish.So far over the weekend I was able to pull in some C band off most all the Sata that I get KU on with varing results of a quality on my coolsat 5000 from 65-88% on different TPs. I have been a little dissappointed with the KU signals as they have dropped from my standard KU lnbf by as much as 20% in some cases.But I am still in the experimental stage trying to find the sweep spot of focal distance of the LNBF and scalar ring.

Dave

I am starting to wonder if it may be better to mount a really good C band lnb and place a good KU lnb on the side? All of the results I've been reading have given poor results on the KU portion.
I'd have to figure that placing a KU lmb on the side would give about the same results as a 80cm-90cm straight on. Granted, you may have to tweak the disquec 1.2 between C and KU on the same sat, but atleast it may provide the best of both worlds.

Any one want to chime in on that theory? Or are we still looking at the C/KU combos as the best solution?

Das Hammer said:

I would aslo be interested in a thread of this type. For future ideas :D

Das Hammer said:
PSB sells the BSC621 LNBF which will do C and Ku in one. Voltage controlled polarity switching too, not like the thrilling days of yesteryear when polarity was mechanically controlled.

C/KU lnb? Nice. If ever I can get my hands on a 1.2 meter I may try it. :)

Eastcoast said:
I have been playing with the BSC621-2 and a motorized 1.2M offset dish.So far over the weekend I was able to pull in some C band off most all the Sata that I get KU on with varing results of a quality on my coolsat 5000 from 65-88% on different TPs. I have been a little dissappointed with the KU signals as they have dropped from my standard KU lnbf by as much as 20% in some cases.But I am still in the experimental stage trying to find the sweep spot of focal distance of the LNBF and scalar ring.

Dave

I also have the exact same setup, except Fortec Ultra receiver.
My results also. Most of the strong C-band stuff seems to be church type programming, although wthere is some WB channels. I have not found any uplink feeds.
My Ku did fall off too, but I dont seem to be missing anything. Is there something you had on old lnb you're not getting on this?

My scalar ring is flush with the edge of the lnb. I have the lnb pulled back as far as it will go. Arrow for skew is pointing straight up.

I'm most interested in TVU and Spirit on AMC3. Anyone care to confirm or deny getting this with a 1.2meter? I'm driving near Columbus in a couple weeks...close enough to swing over and pick up a 1.2 meter dish.

Those 2 channels come in very well.
They are the only ones currently on my scan for Amc3.
But they might be the only ones I put in when I built the Cband transponder for AMC3 on Cband...

The come in about 60-70 percent quality.
I'm located in Western NY.

Das Hammer said:
I'm most interested in TVU and Spirit on AMC3. Anyone care to confirm or deny getting this with a 1.2meter? I'm driving near Columbus in a couple weeks...close enough to swing over and pick up a 1.2 meter dish.

I'll echo what pmb1010 said. I am getting those two channels with 75% quality (the quality is jumping between 72-81%) on my Fortect Ultra.

Thanks PMB1010 and vj9999! This is great news. Are you using the supplied, flat scalar ring or a cone shape?

airgator, I'm convinced that a guy could someway somehow mount a separate Ku LNBf. Even on my little Primestar oval I had the Ku feedhorn/lnb and a circular polarity lnbf mounted at the same time so I could get the audio channels from the dish sats. I believe several people worked on something like this in the massive thread started by Cascade about the 1.2 meter dishes and getting the HD outdoor channel last year. It's good reading if you have the time.

I didnt even bother with the flat ring since it's for prime focus dishes.

I got the cone ring from forum member (often mentioned) since it's an offset dish, and everyone said it was req'd to get it to work.

I found better signals even when using a flat scalar ring (rather than none), tried both ways!

Das Hammer said:
airgator, I'm convinced that a guy could someway somehow mount a separate Ku LNBf. Even on my little Primestar oval I had the Ku feedhorn/lnb and a circular polarity lnbf mounted at the same time so I could get the audio channels from the dish sats.

IT's possible, but keep in mind that with 1.2m dish, beamwidht on Ku is very narrow and it is alot harder to fine tune it than smaller dish. This makes it even more difficult to fine tune an lnb that is not mounted in the center where lnb should go.

Status
Please reply by conversation.