Question about a new HD hookup......

Roseman

Original poster
Dec 16, 2008
Just found this site today, glad I did......I just bought a Samsung LN46A650 HDTV, I'm already a Dish subscriber and have the Dish SD DVR (625), America Everything pkg. and locals.....As the installer from Dish is coming tomorrow to install a new HD Dish, the #1000 (not sure about exact model .2 or .4 or whatever) and upgrade me to a VIP 722 HD-DVR....I would appreciate anything you might suggest to me that I need to be aware of to have a successful install experience.....Questions to ask the installer, things I need to know ahead of time etc.......I am planning on hooking up the HDTV with a already purchased HDMI cable from the Vip 722 to the HDTV (is this the best way?).....I have a 5.1 surround system and want like to listen to Dolby 5.1 programming from the Dish HD station lineup. Someone told me to do that I need an audio optical cable from the VIP 722 to my home theater A/V receiver (Onyko 606) is that correct? .....I'm so excited to be getting HD programming tomorrow as is all my family. thanks in advance for anything you might could help me with or suggest.

P.S. Late last night we hooked up a Samsung 2500 Blu-ray player and none of us could believe our eyes.....:) We've been looking a 20 inch Samsung direct view TV for nearly 10 years now and the new setup is pretty exciting for all of us.....thanks again for anything you might suggest, tips etc.

Roseman

Last edited:
I have the same t.v. it is awesome....I have mine hooked up from the vip622dvr to my harmon kardon reciever using hmdi so I don't need the optical cable.....If you have the onkyo with hdmi connections I would just go right from the vip722 to your onkyo then to the hdtv.

With your Onkyo, you will need another HDMI cable, one in from 722, one out to TV. OR, you could by-pass the Onk's HDMI, going from 722 to TV and use optical to the Onkyo.

Exciting times, Roseman! The suggestion I would give is that, if at all possible, make sure there is a phone line or ethernet port in reach of your receiver. That way you can avoid the monthly charge. Plus, you will have access to the jumbled mess that is DishOnline!

Also, double check the box for the receiver and make sure that it is a 722; I almost got stuck with a 222, but saw the box and told the installer, before he tore into it. He went and got me a 722.

I have the same t.v. it is awesome...
.I have mine hooked up from the vip622dvr to my harmon kardon reciever using hmdi so I don't need the optical cable.....If you have the onkyo with hdmi connections I would just go right from the vip722 to your onkyo then to the hdtv.

Yes I love the TV so far....The reason I used the optical audio cable setup was that my understanding was that I needed it if I wanted to get Dolby 5.1 from the surround speakers ( my Onkyo has HDMI) but I wanted to be able to use my TV's speakers also sometimes for late night viewing, news etc.....from what I understand the HDMI hookup from the VIP 722 to the TV gives me that (both the best video and for audio ( two channel) from my TV speakers.....for Dolby Digital I select the Onkyo receiver for surround sound with the optical digital cable connection from the VIP to the receiver. I hope that setup is correct. I hope that's right, I'm setting it up after the installer from Dish leaves Wednesday......I'm hooking up my Blu-ray to be able to use some of the new audio formats by going HDMI from the Blu-ray player "out" to the Onkyo "in" and then the from the Onkyo receiver HDMI "out" to HDMI "in" of the TV for getting getting the new lossless audio formats like Dolby Tru-HD etc....from what I've read only HDMI cables are capable of carrying that, optical audio cables are NOT......I hope I got all this right, I sure hope so.....:)

Thanks jdmacor, KAB and mstregamer for your replys....anything else that comes to mind, hey I'm all ears......thanks

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts