Question about access cards

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

cr0mag

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 22, 2004
New Orleans, LA
I just picked up a sony HD reciever at a local retailer. I bought it open box, got it home and tried to activate it only to find that the access card that the store gave me was the wrong one. According to D*, the card was too old and incompatible for the reciever. The card is a #3, and my SD Tivo card has a #4. I know the #4 would work in the new HD box, but would the #3 work for my SD tivo??? D* will send me a card for $20 which isn't so bad, but I don't want to wait the 3 days or so it would take for the card to arrive.

Thanks... :what

they do card swaps every so ofter to thwart hackers so the old pnes become obsolete. so you need to get the new card as they said.

just got off the phone with the guys in D* high def support and a new card is on it's way! Can't wait to try out my new toy! Now it's off to another thread to find out about which OTA antenna to buy.

Well, the reciever was a 'open box' display unit with an exceptional price on it, so I'm not complaining about a little hoop jumping. The issue was that the card was outdated. How it got into the reciever that I bought is anyone's guess. It really doesn't matter though, D* is sending me a card free of charge anyway and I really don't like dealing with that particular retailer.... So tomorrow I'll just look for the FedEx envelope with the new card in it.

That card was the original factory issued card that came with the receiver. Dealers have their own dealer cards for previews and do not use the actual receiver cards. I would assume it was open box because it was a floor display or they used it to pull signals to show on their floor TV displays using their dealer card. When they closed out that make and model, they rebox the receiver with all its factory supplied items. Even the now outdated card. Part of an open box sale is that you become responsible for getting anything needed after the sale. Most times they even state that this open box may not contain all the original factory extras. Even at $20 that should be no sweat because they D* had been sending the new cards via FedEx Overnight ($10.85) and in some cases were crediting the remaining amount after the user activates the new card.

cr0mag said:
Well, the reciever was a 'open box' display unit with an exceptional price on it, so I'm not complaining about a little hoop jumping. The issue was that the card was outdated. How it got into the reciever that I bought is anyone's guess. It really doesn't matter though, D* is sending me a card free of charge anyway and I really don't like dealing with that particular retailer.... So tomorrow I'll just look for the FedEx envelope with the new card in it.

Ahhhh, I see said the blind man. I misread that it was an "open box" and thought you meant you "opened the box".

Doh! :p

Either way - I would love to get my hands on a sony HD300.. even if it was open box :)

FWIW, I don't think the HU-3 card would work with a Sony HD-300 :no
Good thing you are happy with the deal you got. I think either some punk in the store glommed the card or they just lost it. Either way, good luck !

Hasn't this situation been cleared up already? It was an OPEN BOX item. The card was outdated before he bought it. He clearly states the card was in the box; no one stole or lost it and D* has already taken care of him.

Yea, eventhough I jumped a few hoops to get the card from D* at no charge, the deal on the reciever was well worth it. I've been trying to find a good deal on a Sony SAT-HD300 for a while now... oddly enough my wife and I went out to dinner tonight to a bar that just remodeled with about 15 plasmas and each one having a HD300! I've never seen so many of them all at once before! It must've been fate or some other karmic / cosmic junk..;)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)