Question about additional receivers...

Alex_p

Original poster
Oct 20, 2005
When I signed up with DISH Network, I got 2 dish's (1 for local & 1 for Arabic package). The installer asked me how many receivers I wanted. I was in a small apartment, so I just wanted one. I have since moved to a 5 bedroom house and DISH Network will not give me any additional receivers! My house is wired, so if I buy an additional receiver on E-Bay and hook it up in another room, will it work? Is it acceptable to do this? Sorry to ask such a stupid question, but I don't know.
Thanks, for your attention,
Alex

Alex, you can buy another reciever and install it yourself if you'd like. Just do yourself a favor, before purchasing the reciever get the R00 number and the S00 numbers and call Dish network to see if the reciever is cleared. If there is a balance due on the reciever they will not activate it. There will be an additional outlet fee for each reciever you have after the first of $4.99 a month. I did this about a month ago and when I called to activate it I found out the card was expired. Dish sent me a new card in about 4 days and everything has been fine since.

I always worry when someone says "house is wired".

Wired for what? Cable with splitters all over? No joy that.

Do you have the outdoor equipment for multiple receivers?

Alex_p said:
I got 2 dish's (1 for local & 1 for Arabic package). The installer asked me how many receivers I wanted. ... I just wanted one. ... so if I buy an additional receiver on E-Bay and hook it up in another room, will it work?
Most Dish configurations will support 2 tuners, so the simple answer is "yes," just hook it up like the first. But it isn't quite that simple. You need to know what LNB/switch configuration you have, mainly whether it is legacy or DishPro. If it's legacy you can use any receiver though adding a dual tuner model will require a 3rd connection. If your LNBs are DishPro you will want to avoid the older legacy receivers (4-digit model numbers) because you will also have to buy a DishPro adapter.

Some possible setups:
  • Twin, Dual, SW21. Connect a 2nd SW21 same as the first for 2 single tuners or 1 dual tuner. For 3+ tuners the Twin has to be replaced and you should probably consider converting to DishPro.
  • DP Twin, DP Dual, DP21. Connect a 2nd DP21 same as the first for 2 single tuners or 1 dual tuner. Replace DP21 with DP34 for 4 tuners or DPP44 for 4 receivers any of which can be a dual tuner using a DPP Separator.
  • DP Plus Twin, DP Dual. No external switch. 2 receivers, either or both can be a dual tuner using a DPP Separator. One can be legacy w/o the adapter if the other is DishPro.
Make sure you follow wobbie's advice before you pay for a used receiver.

Stargazer said:
Are you sure the receivers at Rat Shack are not remanufactured?

just make sure that they are NIB..some are passing returns or floor models...YMMV

dhillii said:
you can get a new 311 receiver at Radio Shack for $50
That's not happening.

BTW, if anyone needs any, I've got a couple of used 301s, and an almost new 322.

Of course, all are cleared and good-to-go.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)