Question about broadband for 922

As long as the plug the other end of that jack into the router then all you have to do is plug a cable into the wall into the jack on the back of the 922.

It might be cheaper to do the homeplug thing or wireless bridge depending on how much Comcast is going to charge

Comcast would charge $28 to install the CAT5 plug. Digiblur, thanks for the info, but I'm confused by your first sentence.

Is there a CAT5 plug on the back of 922?

I'm sorry again, but I'm just plain stupid when it come to these types of things. :confused:

Yes.

Do you have a router?

Yes, I do. It's a Linksys-G 2.4ghz router. I hope I'm getting the terminology correct, but what Comcast says they can do is install a plug into the wall behind the TV that is just like the plug that comes out of the wall and into your DVR (the big black cable). Is there is a connection on the back of the 922 for just the internet that you can connect the big black cable to (I just see an Ethernet port on the 922)?

Yes, I'm fully aware I'm an idiot...lol. As Denzel Washington says in the movie Philadelphia, "can you explain this to me as if I were a six year old?" :rolleyes:

Hope I'm getting this right...

The big black cable goes to your cable modem. Comcast is thinking you want to install another cable receiver where the 922 is.

The cable modem connects to the router using CAT5. You need a CAT5 connection from the router to the 922. The Ethernet port on the 922.

Hope I'm getting this right...

The big black cable goes to your cable modem. Comcast is thinking you want to install another cable receiver where the 922 is.

The cable modem connects to the router using CAT5. You need a CAT5 connection from the router to the 922. The Ethernet port on the 922.

Yes, I believe that is correct. So, if this is the way to hook it up, it would be a wireless connection from the modem to the 922 via the router, correct?
Back to the desktop PC, which does not have a wireless card. So I keep the modem in the office, plug the PC directly to the modem, move the router to the living room where the TV is and plug the 922 directly into the router?

I would rather not have to go wireless to the 922 but If I understand correctly this is what I would need to do. I would want to get a new wireless N-router as well if this is the case. I would probably like to keep the existing router in place as my wife likes to plug in the laptop when she is in the office. I can have two routers connected, correct?

So, have I got this down or is more explanation needed?

I have a question about broadband for the 922. Where I live, the fastest broadband that I can get is 1.5 down / 256 up. I do not plan on slinging anything to a remote location, only within my home through a home network.
I wanted to make sure that there would be no other adverse effect to having such paltry broadband speeds.

Thanks
The first 2 weeks I had mine I didnt hook it up to the net (not a big sling guy) and it worked fine, as long as your not gonna sling and dont wanna download dishonline programing your fine.

No, I have 4 ethernet ports plus the internet port.

That's five ports. Wanted to make sure.

You can run a CAT5 from one if the Ethernet ports to the 922 or get a wireless access point/wireless gaming adapter for the 922. Some others should chime in with what you need.

That's five ports. Wanted to make sure.

You can run a CAT5 from one if the Ethernet ports to the 922 or get a wireless access point/wireless gaming adapter for the 922. Some others should chime in with what you need.

If I understand you correctly, keeping the router where it is, in the office so my wife can plug in her laptop, I would have to run a CAT5 from the router in the office to the 922, which I can't do in my house.

So the other option is a wireless access point behind the TV that, as I understand it, would connect to my existing wireless network? I could go for that, but I still would need a N-router and N-access point to get the speed I need required to use Dish Online or Sling, correct?

I'd try a G/N access point first to see if you get the speed you need with your current G router. If it is not fast enough replace the wireless router with a N.

I'd try a G/N access point first to see if you get the speed you need with your current G router. If it is not fast enough replace the wireless router with a N.

Thanks so much gdarwin!! I appreciate you answering all my questions, and it was a lot!! I think this is the option I'll go for.

If anyone else has an opinion, please post!!

Question: I just got an N-Router and a N- wireless bridge/access point. I bought these at Microcenter and the CSR told me to set this up as a bridge instead of an access point because if you set up as an access point it has to be connected to the router via CAT5 cable? In my house it is not possible to run a cable from the router to the access point/bridge. He said if you set it up as a bridge then you would not have to run a cable from the router to the access point/bridge, and to just plug in one ethernet cable to the 922 and one to the Blu-Ray player.

Is this correct, and if not, which would be better, the access point or the bridge?

Thanks for any assistance, and also I would rather not have to use the install discs but rather go through the web interface to set-up, just not sure how difficult that is. Wireless Networking is a BIG weak point of mine.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts