Question about broadband for 922

bobvick

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 20, 2006
Northwest Alabama
I have a question about broadband for the 922. Where I live, the fastest broadband that I can get is 1.5 down / 256 up. I do not plan on slinging anything to a remote location, only within my home through a home network.
I wanted to make sure that there would be no other adverse effect to having such paltry broadband speeds.

Thanks

The speedtest is for those who want to use the Sling function. Now, here's the rub as far as I can see. To Sling you need to access the dish website. This means your data is broadcast to their servers then sent back to your device. So watching direct does not seem possible. If this is truly the case, you'd have major issues. If you do not intend on using Sling at all, it'd work but your On Demand use would also be amazingly slow/ineffective.

2cents as far as I know :)

Anyone know how to do this test using Mac version of Firefox 3.6.3. Getting error message saying my version of Firefox isnt supported...Anyone have any luck on a Mac?

Error msg: Incompatible Extension"SlingHealth" could not be installed because it is not compatible with your Firefox build type (Darwin_x86-gcc3). Please contact the author of this item about the problem.

Anyone know how to do this test using Mac version of Firefox 3.6.3. Getting error message saying my version of Firefox isnt supported...Anyone have any luck on a Mac?

Error msg: Incompatible Extension"SlingHealth" could not be installed because it is not compatible with your Firefox build type (Darwin_x86-gcc3). Please contact the author of this item about the problem.

Yeah I saw that on my Mac as well, so fired up Parallels and Windows and ran the test there.

The extension they wrote only works on Windows...

However with that said Slinging on the mac from the 922 works. :)

I have a question about broadband for the 922. Where I live, the fastest broadband that I can get is 1.5 down / 256 up. I do not plan on slinging anything to a remote location, only within my home through a home network.
I wanted to make sure that there would be no other adverse effect to having such paltry broadband speeds.

Thanks

I have a Slingbox Solo with paltry DSL speeds as well (368k upstream). It's good for viewing on the iPhone app and so-so viewing on a computer in a small letterbox. In terms of viewing within your own home network the broadband speeds don't matter, it's all based on your home cabling (Cat-5, Cat-6, wifi, etc...) so it comes out top notch.

The thing is you can't sling on your home network if they are requring the data to get sent through another server before it gets to you requriing broadband connection. Couldn't they just send only certain information to their server and not the whole video to do what they want to do with control that they want?

can someone please answer what the minimum broadband requirements are for the slingbox to work good from a remote location! thanks

can someone please answer what the minimum broadband requirements are for the slingbox to work good from a remote location! thanks

Found this in many places:

An Internet download speed of at least 1.5 Mbps and suggested Internet upload speed
of at least 150 - 600 kbps. Faster upload speeds will provide better quality video.

For HD 3Mb on the upload side.

Found this in many places:

An Internet download speed of at least 1.5 Mbps and suggested Internet upload speed
of at least 150 - 600 kbps. Faster upload speeds will provide better quality video.

For HD 3Mb on the upload side.

I READ THAT IN "MANY" places too, but I wanted first hand knowledge

Will they let you buy a 922 without access to true broadband?

This is my situation.
http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-ne...k-vip-922-slingloaded-dvr-17.html#post2164517

I saw Charlie Chat a few months ago, and I thought I heard about it being required. But I see elsewhere that some features will be disabled. I will do no over the internet streaming.

Don't mean to butt in, but if I were to post a new thread, the title would be similar.

Last edited:
Will they let you buy a 922 without access to true broadband?

This is my situation.
http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-ne...k-vip-922-slingloaded-dvr-17.html#post2164517

I saw Charlie Chat a few months ago, and I thought I heard about it being required. But I see elsewhere that some features will be disabled. I will do no over the internet streaming.

Don't mean to butt in, but if I were to post a new thread, the title would be similar.

If you buy ur own 922 I don't think Internet would matter. Right now u can not sling with out the dish website older software would work in slinging but u do not get it in HD. With the speed u have for Internet would be enough i guess for it to download software, not sure how the 922 gets it's download. I mean you can try it for $650 purchased if it don't work u can sell it on bay or send it back to the dealer u bought it from.

Software downloads come via satellite (just like all the other Dish receivers) so that is a non-issue.

Thanks. I'll probably see about one then. With the Charlie Chat I saw (as I am pretty sure he said that broadband would be a requirement, but this was obviously before release), and the mention of broadband around, thought it might be an issue.

They will not lease you a 922 unless you have broadband access. You can buy one if you want but if you do that you will still need broadband since they are forcing you to watch the Sling portion via the DISH website. :(

They will not lease you a 922 unless you have broadband access. You can buy one if you want but if you do that you will still need broadband since they are forcing you to watch the Sling portion via the DISH website. :(

And you have to pay extra for that "force" too with no TV2 modulator to boot! ;)

Here's my situation. I hope this doesn't come across as stupid.
I have my desktop, wireless router for a laptop, and modem all in our home office. Comcast, who I have my internet through, says it can install a new CAT5 plug behind my TV which is in the living room, but from there, since I need an Ethernet cable going into the 922, is where I get lost.
What would be the best solution if I get Comcast to install the plug in the wall? Is there some kind of adapter I can use?
My desktop does not have a wireless card.

Please help!!

Ok.... Truth is I don't even "care" about the sling part so much, I was just thinking it would be handy. But an updated interface, plus the bigger drive included without me having to buy/make another externals, plus having the same receivers for 11 years, why not have the latest and greatest when I upgrade.... I know I could do similar with a different receiver, buy a sling box, and I've built and repaired many a computer so I could make my own linux PVR box, ...but....

Seems strange to release a product, for satellite, that can't be used everywhere there is a clear view of the south. As I said, MOST of Nebraska, South Dakota, and likely others will not qualify for this then.

Not only is it crippled, it's a bit of a disappointment most of the way around, in my case.

I meant "buy" as in "lease".

I'll still talk to them, try to coax one out of them. Two tvs, and I don't care about watching one's recording on the other, so need to decide either a 722 or a separate box for each I guess. Thinking two separate in case one breaks I have a backup. Perhaps shouldn't have waited over a year for the 922 I guess, could have updated sooner.

Here's my situation. I hope this doesn't come across as stupid.
I have my desktop, wireless router for a laptop, and modem all in our home office. Comcast, who I have my internet through, says it can install a new CAT5 plug behind my TV which is in the living room, but from there, since I need an Ethernet cable going into the 922, is where I get lost.
What would be the best solution if I get Comcast to install the plug in the wall? Is there some kind of adapter I can use?
My desktop does not have a wireless card.

Please help!!

As long as the plug the other end of that jack into the router then all you have to do is plug a cable into the wall into the jack on the back of the 922.

It might be cheaper to do the homeplug thing or wireless bridge depending on how much Comcast is going to charge

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts