Question about buying wireless Joey

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Alan Rovner

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 8, 2013
Vancouver, WA
Hi all if I buy a wireless Joey from Solid Signal I assume that means there is no leasing fee? I would just need to have Joey added to my account. Is that correct? Thanks as always......

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

You still need to pay $7.00 month on an owned Joey. The only benefit I know of with an owned Joey is you are able to activate and deactivate whenever you want. I own one and only activate when I have people visiting. Also make sure you have a Wireless access point for the wireless Joey

Any supported tv outlets has a fee. You can use dish anywhere with an iPad and Apple TV, but not supported. Same with a sling box. It will work. Just not supported.

By the way I found out that the wireless Joey and adaptor are cheaper thru dish than any other online retail that I could find....$99 for wireless Joey and $50 for adaptor. And I was able to get the tech charge waived.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

I just purchased a wireless joey from Solid Signal for $80. Dish would not provide the WAP for a Joey purchased from someone else and the WAP was another $80 from Solid Signal. I then ask to upgrade my existing Joey to wireless and they said it would be $50. I explained I had been with Dish for 15 years and that was a little high and they waived the $50 and the install was free. They would have been better off to have just mailed me the WAP and let me install it. Tried to explain that they were going to get the same $7 a month reguardless of who I purchased the reciever from.

It's to new for self installs. Even the reps are still learning the system, so for the general public to want to self install, would be a PITA to walk them through install. Isn't that the number one complaint about reps? Reading from a script. That's all they'd be doing until they can learn it better.

Just look at it this way: none of these MVPD's are gonna let a monthly fee go uncollected. There view is probably: "If it allows you to watch TV independently at another TV, then we want your money." These fees were all designed to be never ending revenue. The most offensive is the Virtual Joey fee, but I would accept a $1 (or so) monthly fee because it is an APP, NOT a complex box like the Hopper nor a more simple client like the Joeys.

To be fair, DirecTV also charges the same monthly fee even if on views DirecTV via their RVU HDTV, requires no DirecTV hardware at the HDTV (which functions like a virtual Joey), and for all DirecTV boxes either owned or provided by DirecTV. So Dish isn't doing anything outside the industry standard in regards to the fees, but I would say the "industry" standard on fees is not good for the consumer.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)