Question About Converting to SWM

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

sparkhill

Original poster
Feb 5, 2010
Reno, NV
Thanks in advance or the advice.

I currently have a Slimline-5 dish/LNB with RG6 cables going to a 6x8 multiswitch. I have 3 DVR's and one D12 receiver. I want to convert to SWM/DECA myself.

Can just switch out the multiswitch for a SWM-8 or do I need to upgrade my LNB to green label also? I have the DECA adapters, power adapters, etc. taken care of on the receiver end.

Replacing the 6x8 multiswitch with the SWM8 should be all you'll need.
Of course you'll need to connect the DECA adapters and PIs correctly.
And don't forget about the one needed to connect to you local network.

if you just have a Slimline then swap the lnb for swm remove the switch and hook up the green lable spliter. if you have wing dish then you need the swm8 switch. what reciver models do you have i know the d-12 will do swm but your hd dvrs might not

sparkhill said:
Thanks in advance or the advice.

I currently have a Slimline-5 dish/LNB with RG6 cables going to a 6x8 multiswitch. I have 3 DVR's and one D12 receiver. I want to convert to SWM/DECA myself.

Can just switch out the multiswitch for a SWM-8 or do I need to upgrade my LNB to green label also? I have the DECA adapters, power adapters, etc. taken care of on the receiver end.

No 8 way needed. 3 dvr's 1 d12 = 4 rcvrs. SINGLE wire multiswitch. Unless you plan to add rcvrs in future. Or when you get another rcvr then throw a 2 way on 4 way

Correct me if I'm wrong but even though SWM DVR's only require 1 line, they still require 2 channels to work properly. I had a service call with a swm dvr and hd ird that was on a 1x2 swm splitter and the dvr would not record if the other ird was powered up. It still needs 2 channels

Splitters will send the proper amount of channels needed for a specific output on the splitter and is limited to the number of channels the switch can handle. A four way splitter will work because he has 4 receivers and has less than 8 tuners, 7 in total. Connect one receiver to each of the outputs on the splitter.

Last edited:
Splitters will send the proper amount of channels needed for a specific output on the splitter and is limited to the number of channels the switch can handle. A four way splitter will work because he has 4 receivers and has less than 8 tuners, 7 in total. Connect one receiver to each of the outputs on the splitter.
Let me get this straight...If 1 HD/DVR and 1 HD IRD (3 tuners total) are connected to a 1x2 SWM splitter, it will function correctly? Meaning the 1x2 is capable of more than 2 tuners? Are the splitters used in SWM, capable of twice the amount of channels? So 2 DVRS can be connected by a 1x2? If this is tru then our tech meeting is gonna be interesting. The trainer has got some explaining to do...

bayoubrut

Yes, using a 1x2 splitter is how a swm system is connected using your set up. You can do a 1x2 splitter going into to 2 more 1x2 for a total of four receiver outputs, or even 1x2 into two 1x4 for a total of eight receiver outputs. The limitation a swm system has is the amount tuners the switch can handle, which is usually 8 tuners.

Can I come to the meeting?:)

Last edited:
I tried to tell him today at the warehouse but he is still claiming it will not work right. In his defense, I have had systems needing 3 channels not work correctly on a 1x2 and work fine after changing to 1x4, so I'm confused

2 way SWM splitter will run 2 HD/DVR's (4 tuners). No more than 8 tuners to a SWM LNB. If you have a 2 way downline, must have 8 way closest to dish. Will work with 4 way splitters...for awhile.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)