Question about Direct TV DVR

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

tresmith

Original poster
Jul 15, 2004
Hello,

I want to get in on the dvr deal with my DirectTV. My question is can I use the directtv dvr as a stand alone unit? In other words, do I have to use it in conjuction with Directtv service for it to work?

Thank you.

Without a DirectTV sub, your DirecTV DVR will not do much, AFAIK. With HD10-250, you can watch and manually record OTA channels, I think. I don't think the SD models can receive anything but the satellite channels.

Hong.

tresmith said:
Is there anyway around it? A hack or something?
With the standard DTiVo, it is a hardware issue, not really software, so there is no hack.

One of the reasons that satellite PVRs can be sold so cheaply is they simply record the signal directly from the service provider. All of the encoding and compression is done before the signal ever gets to you. Stand-alone PVRs have to have the hardware (and software) to perform this conversion internally although they can not do it as efficiently as the mega-$$ encoders used by D* or E*.

DTiVos have the hardware equivalent of 2 receivers and 1 decoder (which is the hardware that turns the compressed signal back into a signal usable by your TV), thus they can tune to (and record) 2 channels but only output 1. E*'s 501, 508, and 510 have 1 receiver and 1 decoder -- record 1 channel and output 1. E*'s 522 has 2 receivers and 2 decoders -- record 2 channels and output 2.

As always, someone will correct me if I'm wrong. :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)