DIRECTV Raises TV Prices

Will they be dropping the RSN fee once they are no more ?
Most of the RSN's aren't going anywhere. YES and Marquee are not part of Diamond's bankruptcy proceedings, and other team owned ones like MASN, NESN, SportsNet Pittsburgh, Space City HN, Monumental, Root Sports, Altitude, MSG and SNY are also safe. They also signed a new deal for the Spectrum SportsNet channels.

And if Diamond decides to jettison more MLB rights in favor of direct distribution by MLB like they did with the Padres and Diamondbacks, DIRECTV will still provide those games. MLB was also interested in acquiring the then-FSN stations but they were outbid by the consortium led by Sinclair, so them getting the remaining Bally RSNs is also another possible final result of these bankruptcy proceedings.

Also, before you celebrate the move to OTA that some teams made, that's just going to make companies like Gray (Suns/Mercury), Sinclair (Jazz) and Scripps (Golden Knights and Coyotes) demand Big 4 rates for their independent stations that are now carrying those teams next time their retrans deals are up.

Most of the RSN's aren't going anywhere. YES and Marquee are not part of Diamond's bankruptcy proceedings, and other team owned ones like MASN, NESN, Pittsburgh SportsNet, Space City HN, Monumental and Altitute are also safe. They also signed a new deal for the Spectrum SportsNet channels

And if Diamond decides to jettison more MLB rights in favor of direct distribution by MLB like they did with the Padres and Diamondbacks, DIRECTV will still provide those games
Ya, I was wondering about that too, regardless of if its an RSN or Not, IF the games are still there, they will still charge us extra.

Reactions: DirecTVFanSince2016
It's 2023 one would think they would finally give us NBC SN Philly...
I doubt NBCSN Philly will ever join DIRECTV, the landlock loophole that let them withhold it was removed a long time ago and there's been several NBCU renewals since then.

It has also been almost 3 decades since the 1997 demise of SportsChannel Philadelphia, and even prior to that, DIRECTV didn't have the PRISM games. Anyone in Philly territory that still has DIRECTV clearly doesn't see the lack of carriage as a dealbreaker and likely falls under 1 of 3 categories:
- They're not a fan of Philly's MLB, NBA and NHL teams
- They supplement it with an expanded basic cable package or one of the OTT providers that have it like Fubo, Hulu or YouTubeTV
- Didn't have a choice in the matter because cable still isn't available in their area

I would expect Diamond to get rid of as many as they can ...
In addition to the D-backs and Padres, they have had payment issues with the Twins, Guardians, Reds, and Rangers. They might get rid of those. But they also have direct-to-consumer (Bally Sports+) rights for the Tigers, Marlins, Rays, Royals, and Brewers. They might keep those, as I remember Kyl saying those deals were more favorable and they didn't want to lose the D2C rights.

Bally Sports currently has the rights to stream the Detroit Tigers, Kansas City Royals, Miami Marlins, Milwaukee Brewers and Tampa Bay Rays on Bally Sports+. We are in discussions with MLB and our other MLB team partners to expand our offering in 2023.

I was happy to see no disruption when MLB took over the ones they did ...
It really helped that in most cases the announcers calling the games are contracted to the teams and not the RSNs, while the crews are usually tied to 3rd party companies who own the production trucks. So it was just a matter of switching the graphics and music package and what feed the participating providers ingested via satellite or fiber/IP.