Question about Dish installers

aj1964

Original poster
Mar 2, 2005
Just wondering about the installers. When we had DTv installed, there was a group of around 4 people. They pulled up in a beat up Explorer. One worked in a bedroom setting up, one in the living room, one installed the dish and one supervised. All in all, it was a half-a** install. I never bothered to complain, it wasn't worth it to me. Does Dish do installs like this?

On the several times that an installer has been out for me, it was always just a single guy. Sometimes you might get 2, a trainee and a trainer or if the install is large just to get done quicker. I doubt that you will get 4 guys ever again.

aj1964 said:
Just wondering about the installers. When we had DTv installed, there was a group of around 4 people. They pulled up in a beat up Explorer. One worked in a bedroom setting up, one in the living room, one installed the dish and one supervised. All in all, it was a half-a** install. I never bothered to complain, it wasn't worth it to me. Does Dish do installs like this?

that depends on the crew i am a dnsc contractor and dish is very picky on who installs but you can get a f** up crew that is not a dnsc contractor and is a contractor for the retailer then there are no guidelines but do complain if it isnt done right so dish will fire that retailer.

Fortunately for me, Ive had a DNSC installer out both times I needed installs done. They were very professional and courteous. One time they put a foot through my ceiling (while running wire in my attic) and had someone out to fix it that day.

I am a subcontractor for Dish. Most of the time it is just me that goes to an install. If I am training someone then it is two people. There is a large group of installers in our area and every now and then two of us might ride together, but most of the time it's just me.

StevenD said:
One time they put a foot through my ceiling (while running wire in my attic) and had someone out to fix it that day.
My attic is barely big enough to fit one of my feet in (cathedral ceilings for living room & kitchen), unless maybe I put my foot in it through one of my bedroom ceilings from below...

My installer visits were always just one guy, always a DNSC technician though, and usually did a great, clean job.

All of my ceilings are flat (except for the kitchen), but every room is a different height. The living room has 13' ceilings, the bedroom has 11', office 12' and then the 2nd office and guest bedrooms only have 8' ceilings. The really bad part is there is a hallway with 8' ceilings between the living room and the offices in the front of the house. It makes walking around the attic rather diffucult at times.

IMO, doing attic runs is way too much of a liability. If the customer insists, I usually hand him the drill and tell him to get busy. :) Ive stepped through my own ceiling, so I'm no grace, and definitely won't be blowing a paycheck on redoing someone's house cause of some coax.

I almost always do my installs alone, unless training a new guy or on a real big job. But once you get good at it, at least for me, I prefer to work alone, that way I know everything gets done right.

aj1964 said:
I'm not saying what they did was normal, but was it done correctly?

My company runs all wires thru the attic or crawl (when available). Wall fishes and phone jacks are included with the install...Period. There's no way DNSC installers go to the length that we do to ensure a professional installation. And we use only subs. But they do it the right way or they are gone. So my point is, you can't stereo type DNSC or subs. You're going to get bad installers in both groups. The best thing to do is, if your buying from a Dish Retailer, ask for customer references and check the Better Business Bureau. A lot of times, a retailer will give you a level of service that Dish will not and cannot. Depends on the retailer, though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts