Question about Dish's VOD streaming/download

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

gadgtfreek

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
May 29, 2006
Lower Alabama
Ok, so I picked a program in HD, and it was added to the Rentals folder. When you go in and tab over the tile, it shows "streaming at "X" over to the right.

Is it downloading the program to the HDD, or just showing you what speed you have when you want to start it?

Considering about 18mbps speed (what was shown in Dish menu) and the fact it took about 16 minutes for one episode, that is about 2 gigs.

According the Transfer Recordings menu I lose and gain about 2 gigs when I move one episode, but it is not really exact. I am little shocked it is only 2 gigs as good as they look. The Dish live version must be a good bit lower.

Thanks. Just figured it out when it ended, Im actually kicking myself for not trying this before. One of my gripes with the likes of Dish and HBO is the live PQ of stuff like GoT. The download version blows away the live tv version, and with my 25mbps service it comes pretty quick.
I just yesterday compared the GOT DVR recording compared, to the VOD, and THEN HBO GO on Roku. Not a bit of diff, IMO.

I just yesterday compared the GOT DVR recording compared, to the VOD, and THEN HBO GO on Roku. Not a bit of diff, IMO.

It is obvious here. These OLED's are not very forgiving when it comes dark scenes, near blacks, etc... when there is too much compression. Whereas my plasma, which dithered, did not show it like this. When comparing the recorded version vs the download, the scene at the castle with John lying in the snow is obviously better on the download. I see the same thing on Daredevil on Netflix. Where the 480 tier was even passable on my plasma, I need at least 720 for a good image on the OLED.

Only drawback I have found is they handle poor sources way worse than a plasma, so any increase in bitrate or quality I can get helps out in dark scenes.

Another example is when they are on the mountain checking out the torched ram in episode 1. The download version has a sharper image IMO. I also do not see as much compression noise around edges, peoples face's etc...

I think it is simply comparing something of a set file size, to something that has a variable bit rate when live. More or less likely to show up depending on a person's setup.

Why don't you simply enjoy the show????

Lol, typical of you. Presented with some actual observed facts and then you come up with this lame ass response.

It has nothing to do with enjoying the show, its about finding the best way to watch the show, especially since Dish ain't the king of PQ.

My response would be, why are you wasting both my time and and your's in my thread? Especially when you obviously do not know what you are looking at.

And FYI, if you bother to respond again, I won't bother to reply to you.

Lol, typical of you. Presented with some actual observed facts and then you come up with this lame ass response.

It has nothing to do with enjoying the show, its about finding the best way to watch the show, especially since Dish ain't the king of PQ.

My response would be, why are you wasting my time and in your's in my thread, when you obviously do not know what you are looking at.
And typical of you, as well...and I suggest we just LEAVE it at that.

I agree, the Dish On Demand in most cases is much better PQ across the board vs their live channels.
But not the case with Sling TV, IMO exact opposite.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

Reactions: gadgtfreek
I remember a couple of years ago when Directv had an issue with the live version of their HBO (weird pulse in the compression noise) but not everyone saw the problem. They eventually fixed it but downloading the VOD of the episode was the way around it.

When I first start playing a VoD that has already been downloaded, why is the resolution blocky, as if it is just starting to download? It improves quickly, but I've always wondered why the start is blocky, even if it is already on my drive.
It is obvious here. These OLED's are not very forgiving when it comes dark scenes, near blacks, etc... when there is too much compression. Whereas my plasma, which dithered, did not show it like this. When comparing the recorded version vs the download, the scene at the castle with John lying in the snow is obviously better on the download. I see the same thing on Daredevil on Netflix. Where the 480 tier was even passable on my plasma, I need at least 720 for a good image on the OLED.

Only drawback I have found is they handle poor sources way worse than a plasma, so any increase in bitrate or quality I can get helps out in dark scenes.
Sounds like a good argument against buying an OLED.

I have noticed that too, which is why I asked. I thought some of the PPV stuff would actually stream in a way and not download, but I dunno. I watched an epi of GoT and Penny Dreadful last night and they looked great off VOD.

As far as the OLED, every display type has at least one wart. Poor source issues is the only one I have found on this one, so it still trumps my 2012 plasma easily. Now Blu-ray and UHD in a dark room, no contest ;)

Thanks. Just figured it out when it ended, Im actually kicking myself for not trying this before. One of my gripes with the likes of Dish and HBO is the live PQ of stuff like GoT. The download version blows away the live tv version, and with my 25mbps service it comes pretty quick.
Yes, I have found the Dish download versions to be easily noticeable PQ superiority. I have to admit, that sometimes I wait for the download available to watch. And the better PQ for downloads seems to be across all content available on all channels, even the premium movie channels. Just as only one example, the Star Wars Rebels latest episodes were easily superior on the download compared to their airing on Disney HD (some XD content airs on Disney HD after premiere on XD). Common artifacts found on Dish live channels but not so noticeable on downloads are banding, some ringing, poor contrast with dark areas having visual blocking.

FWIW, some live channels or content look WORSE than before change to all 8PSK, but a few other channels content seems to have improved since. It is a very mixed bag, but, to my eye, channels that are kids or family don't look as good, then other channels like USA or Comedy Central, but with premium movie channels getting the best PQ treatment from Dish, while some of the new 24/7 HD RSN's can look absolutely AWFUL! . There seems to be a Dish pecking order as to who gets priority for best HD PQ.

Reactions: gadgtfreek

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)