Question about DPP44 switch

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

MI_GTO

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 11, 2005
Mt Pleasant, Michigan
I finally got my 622 activated and my dish upgraded to a dish1000. The installer didn't have a DPP44 swtch with him even though it was listed on the work order as "required hardware." I realize it was not actually required for the job and he simply used my existing DP34. So I complained in an e-mail to the ceo and got them to send me a 44! My question is, will this work with my existing LNB's or do I need DishProPlus LNB's to work with the new switch? I was hoping to just swap out the switch and get rid of the extra cable running to my 622.

If the installer was able to accomplish the same job without the need for a more expensive switch then why would you go whining to the ceo about it? You do realize that you very well could have gotten that installer in enough trouble to have gotten him fired and dont think it wont happen that way. Once a complaint reaches the executive office it starts rolling downhill and weather the tech did anything wrong or not the tech always ends up in a disciplinary action.

Van said:
If the installer was able to accomplish the same job without the need for a more expensive switch then why would you go whining to the ceo about it? You do realize that you very well could have gotten that installer in enough trouble to have gotten him fired and dont think it wont happen that way. Once a complaint reaches the executive office it starts rolling downhill and weather the tech did anything wrong or not the tech always ends up in a disciplinary action.

If it was listed as Required Hardware, the installer Should have had one with him/her and installed it !

We've been told to only use those if we have a valid reason. IE: 4 orbital slots. According to our people, dish won't pay for it otherwise. Personally, I'd rather get fired than buy a 44 switch for a customer, because they do charge us if dish doesn't pay.

jmd102354 said:
If it was listed as Required Hardware, the installer Should have had one with him/her and installed it !

If the switch is not needed to complete the job then it is not needed and the required hardware listing on the workorder is null and void so be careful what you wish for otherwise you could end up with a situation such as one I had where the work order listed required hardware as the following.

Primary dish install D500 with non legacy twin

Second dish install D300 61.5 with non legacy dual lnbf

Primary dish install Superdish 121 with non legacy twin

Secondary dish install 148 with non legacy dual lnbf

Secondary dish install 129 with non legacy dual lnbf

Now would you really want me to put all of those dish's on or around your home?

Besides that switch is $200 and we are told if its not needed to do the install then dont use it.

Last edited:
I made it very clear that the install was done properly and that everything was working correctly. I was not about to pay for a $200 switch that I felt entitled to since it was on the work order. It was more of a request to the ceo rather than a complaint.

re: that entitlement mentality that you just displayed:

I had a WO the other day that called for a 625 with additional tuner and one 301 reman. The customer had 1 TV(WTF?!?!?!). I explained to her that I would be happy to perform the installation as ordered once all the TV's were on the premises. Her solution was for me to carry her one 27" TV from room to room to check everything out. This happens at least 4-5 times a week. I will do it if I feel confident in the customer's ability to problem solve, but I will not do it if the customer displays that entitlement mentality, because they are the ones who feel entitled to a free service call to finish the install. After the attitude that she gave me, I walked away, and I feel as though I will not cut any other customers any amount of slack on this issue. This is something that the salespeople should be mindfull passing along to the customers. I ain't moving sh!t.

Her mother accross the street also felt the need to chew me out, because someone had given in to her. I have no idea how long she'd been installed, but she was still "saving up for that bigscreen". She had a 625 on her living room floor hooked up to nothing.

MI_GTO said:
I made it very clear that the install was done properly and that everything was working correctly. I was not about to pay for a $200 switch that I felt entitled to since it was on the work order. It was more of a request to the ceo rather than a complaint.

Like both Van and Chad stated, the DPP44 is a bit overkill in your situation. And if nothing else, the DPP44 requires constant powering. I.e., a power inserter on port 1.

Why make it a more complicated situation on the installer and the equipment side of things? From a troubleshooting standpoint I've always maintained this mentality, "the more complicated the plumbing, the easier it is to plug it up!"

MI_GTO said:

Your not entitled to it, what your entitled to is what ever equipment is needed to complete the job so as to provide you with the requested programming and additional services that you ordered. You did get what you were entitled to wich was services and equipment to provide you local broadcast service, national broadcast ervice, high definition broadcast service, antenna(s) to receive said programming, lnbf(s) to capture the focused signal(s), switch(s) to combine said signal(s), receiver(s) to decode and process said signal(s) and thats it. Like I said to another person if your work order had stated 4 dishes to be installed would you want them installed? Somehow I think not.

MI_GTO said:
Well, apparently someone at E* figured I was entitled to it as they sent me one free of charge. ;)

Well, I'm certainly not one to come down on you being that I'm a firm believer on getting what you're entitled to. However, if you were smarter about it, you would've removed the DP34 from the house and he would've been forced to install the DPP44. Or you would just ask him politely and he might've given it to you his next trip through.

For example, I had a Dish1000 installed in December, which apparently was not something that was supposed to happen because every other installer that has been to my house since has said "How'd you get a Dish1000 already?". Anyway, I also have locals on 148 and needed the extra dish. The installer came out, asked how I had a D1000, said I shouldn't and disconnected 129 and connected 148 to the built-in switch. I wasn't home at the time and when I got home from work, I called and said "NO, you disconnected my 129." The next day they brought the DPP44 and installed it.

When the April deal finally came around for the 622 upgrade, they brought a new D1000 with them. When he noticed the D1000 already on the house, I asked him if I could keep it. He said, "sure, you're entitled to it". I told him if need be, I'd take my existing one down and put up my old D500 and he said it wasn't necessary and handed me the box.

Just thought I'd chime in.

TB

MI_GTO said:
Well, apparently someone at E* figured I was entitled to it as they sent me one free of charge. ;)
Figures that you would get it because you went whining to them about it while a fellow installer gets fired for putting one in for a customer who LEGITMATELY needed the switch got fired for putting one in because it wasn't on the work order, pathetic for what happened to him and pathetic that people have this "gimme something free waaaaaaa!! gimme it now waaaaa!!!" mentality, dish needs to wise up and stop pandering to whiners.

Van said:
Figures that you would get it because you went whining to them about it while a fellow installer gets fired for putting one in for a customer who LEGITMATELY needed the switch got fired for putting one in because it wasn't on the work order, pathetic for what happened to him and pathetic that people have this "gimme something free waaaaaaa!! gimme it now waaaaa!!!" mentality, dish needs to wise up and stop pandering to whiners.

So it basically comes down to what...following EXACTLY what the work order states? Even if it means either shafting or making the customer pissed off?

The problem, I feel, is with DNS itself. No matter what there are going to cry-babies, bitchers and moaners who'll say, "the installer screwed me over for not giving me that $200 switch that I really didn't need". If DNS would loosen the leash a bit and give the installers some amount of carte blanche, then life would be just a bit better.

webbydude said:
So it basically comes down to what...following EXACTLY what the work order states? Even if it means either shafting or making the customer pissed off?

If I did that yesterday, I'd have a PO'd customer. They had a single 301, and were upgrading to a 625. WO clearly stated "dual tuner install to ONE TV". Customer wanted the tuner hooked up to the bedroom. The difference is that he gave me NO attitude when I explained I would have to mod the WO. First I verified that he actually had a TV for tuner 2, then I jumped through E*'s PIA hoops to get it modified.

Had the same thing happen last week, only the guy had ONE TV period. He had additional cable from the reciever to the other tv location, so I hooked that up to the TV2 out, explained to him what to do, and noted the WO (and account) that I did a "Dual Tuner install to ONE TV" and that the 625 is in single tuner mode. That way, I won't get gigged for an incomplete install or customer education SC if he can't figure out what to do with the wire coming up from the floor. Let's face it, some folks are just lazy, and want people to wait on them hand and foot.

Meanwhile, the techs in the company I work for have to cover each others behinds on a daily basis, because our company and dish are out to pay as little as possible, so if there is any BS reason to weasle out of paying a service call, they will do it. For example, they charge us back for bad seperators. WTF? Those come with the equipment, plus I asked at Dow, and they will not even think about selling us E* equipment unless we have E* dealer accounts, so I can't even buy a DPP seperator to provide during an install. That's bogus. It was hillarious when my LT finally got gigged for it, because he is the one who's been turning in SC's as bad seperators. I had told him they would do that the first time he mentioned it. I spoke from experience, but he still didn't believe me. I had to tell him "told ya so!" and a big Nelson (from the simpsons) HA HA!

Maybe I should start a thread about the rediculous chargebacks I've been slapped with. Oh, I micromanage my pay. I know exactly how much has been taken from me ($265 so far this year, $1492 last year + another $224 last year that is missing but was not explained to me). Then there is another $840from last year that went flat out unpaid. No appeals process, just abig FU. I'm saving it up. When they fire me, Judge wapner time!

Last edited:
I totally feel your pain. And in the case of "dual-tuner to one television"...THOSE I will modify in a heartbeat!! Too much B.S. involved wiring up a dual-tuner anyways. :mad:

Oh trust me, if a thread was started about "what was your most ridiculous chargeback?", you'll find more and more varied responses than the current thread "most ridiculous thing you've been told by a tech?"

We do have some play with work orders on basic stuff such as swapping lnbfs and inexpensive switches around to achieve a more desirable and less intrusive installation for the customer and for the tech but where there is no budging at is on the receivers, the dpp-44, and any items in short supply or under testing.

chadzx11 said:
If I did that yesterday, I'd have a PO'd customer. They had a single 301, and were upgrading to a 625. WO clearly stated "dual tuner install to ONE TV". Customer wanted the tuner hooked up to the bedroom. The difference is that he gave me NO attitude when I explained I would have to mod the WO. First I verified that he actually had a TV for tuner 2, then I jumped through E*'s PIA hoops to get it modified.

Had the same thing happen last week, only the guy had ONE TV period. He had additional cable from the reciever to the other tv location, so I hooked that up to the TV2 out, explained to him what to do, and noted the WO (and account) that I did a "Dual Tuner install to ONE TV" and that the 625 is in single tuner mode. That way, I won't get gigged for an incomplete install or customer education SC if he can't figure out what to do with the wire coming up from the floor. Let's face it, some folks are just lazy, and want people to wait on them hand and foot.

Meanwhile, the techs in the company I work for have to cover each others behinds on a daily basis, because our company and dish are out to pay as little as possible, so if there is any BS reason to weasle out of paying a service call, they will do it. For example, they charge us back for bad seperators. WTF? Those come with the equipment, plus I asked at Dow, and they will not even think about selling us E* equipment unless we have E* dealer accounts, so I can't even buy a DPP seperator to provide during an install. That's bogus. It was hillarious when my LT finally got gigged for it, because he is the one who's been turning in SC's as bad seperators. I had told him they would do that the first time he mentioned it. I spoke from experience, but he still didn't believe me. I had to tell him "told ya so!" and a big Nelson (from the simpsons) HA HA!

Maybe I should start a thread about the rediculous chargebacks I've been slapped with. Oh, I micromanage my pay. I know exactly how much has been taken from me ($265 so far this year, $1492 last year + another $224 last year that is missing but was not explained to me). Then there is another $840from last year that went flat out unpaid. No appeals process, just abig FU. I'm saving it up. When they fire me, Judge wapner time!

I hear ya there. You connect only 1 Tv and 6 months later the customer decides to get a 2nd Tv and now its your fault you didn't do your Job to connect the 2nd set when the customer didn't have it at the time of install.

Being a retailer, I see this type of crap everyday. The best one is when there is existing wiring already in the customers home, and they feel that they are either entitled to a discount, or they want the installer to run all new cable.

First of all its a Free install, and second of all if you wanted the installer to run all new wire then you should have removed it before he came to your house.

As far as the DP44 Switch, I will agree with the other Techs here and say the customer is not entitled to it.

When a work order is written up, there is no way to tell what type of switch the customer already has on their home. When they put that a DP44 was a required switch, it was on there so the Tech would have one available so if for some reason it was needed to complete the install, the tech could complete the Job without having to re-schedule.

As far as im concerned the only thing DISH Network is obligated to do is to install the 622 and the Dish1000. Wether the installer wants to use a DP34 and run both lines to the 622 or install a DP44 Plus and run 1 line to the 622 is his Choice. He just has to make sure its installed properly and works before he leaves your home.

If you paid for a DP44 then your entitled to it. If you paid for your DP34 switch, then worse case scenario Dish should re-imburse you for your DP34. If your leasing everything and got it for FREE then by no means are you entitled to a DP44.

I'll give you an example, last week I did an upgrade for a customer who had a Dish500 looking at 119/110 and had a 2nd Dish looking at 61.5 connected to an SW64 with an 811 and a 2800.

The customer upgraded his 2800 to a 625.

Instead of re-wiring his whole house, we swapped his Sw64 switch for a DPP Twin and a Dishpro Dual for the 61.5 Dish.

I gave the customer $80 in LNB's in exchange for his used SW64 Switch, in addition I didn't have to charge him for a wall fish since his entire house was pre-wired for cable and had a single cable to each outlet.

Customer didn't pay for the Sw64 when I origionally installed the system, so as far as I can see I can use whatever switch configuration I want to complete the Job.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)