Question about fta receivers and hvec

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

SkySurfer80

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 14, 2019
Tennessee
Ok I have a geosat 3500 hdrv but was wondering as I see these other receivers and the amiko says hvec encoding on it. Is there a certain receiver that will pick up more feeds than another? Are there alot of hvec feeds that cant be picked up on my geosat 3500 but can be on the amiko or will the geosat pick them up too? I ask because it mentions the hvec. 265 on the amiko but on the geosat says nothing.

Reactions: spongella
Ok I have a geosat 3500 hdrv but was wondering as I see these other receivers and the amiko says hvec encoding on it. Is there a certain receiver that will pick up more feeds than another? Are there alot of hvec feeds that cant be picked up on my geosat 3500 but can be on the amiko or will the geosat pick them up too? I ask because it mentions the hvec. 265 on the amiko but on the geosat says nothing.
I think the GeoSatPro 3500 cannot do h.265 (aka hevc), but many recent receivers can (Amiko h265, Edision OSMIO4k, Manhattan 1978, Octagon sx88, etc.).

Is there a lot in HEVC at the moment? No. As far as I know, all 4K channels use HEVC, but that requires a receiver that also does 4K (only the Edision in the above list), not just h.265. There's also a mux on Eutelsat 65W that is in h.265 in HD, not 4K, in lower Ku, that is currently in the clear. ABC is switching to HEVC soon for some of its feeds.

My take is that if your current receiver is working well, then getting a new one just for HEVC is not really justified, unless it also does 4K. But for someone getting in the hobby now who doesn't have any receiver, than a regular HEVC receiver like the Amiko h.265 would make sense (as current 4K receivers are mostly, if not all, Linux-based, and maybe a bit too complex for a newbie)

So the Amiko does all the regular stuff plus the. 265 but not 4k? Also how would you rank the motor controls and blind scanning on an Amiko? thanks.

So the Amiko does all the regular stuff plus the. 265 but not 4k? Also how would you rank the motor controls and blind scanning on an Amiko? thanks.

For the money you can't go wrong on the Amiko HD.265...motor control is good and so is blind scan. I don't have any complaints regarding either one. It was my main box for quite awhile before I upgraded to E2. It is still in service for when I travel and use my Slingbox.

KE4EST sells this fine box and stands behind them...you really can't go wrong -

What is the E2?

Enigma 2 is a Linux-based operating system being deployed in satellite receivers. The Edision OS MIO 4K runs Enigma 2 (E2). Images compatible with Enigma 2 are installed on the receiver, which then function as the graphical interface for the receiver. These include OpenVIX, OpenPLi, PurE2 and "The North American Project."

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)