Question about HD/SD local channels?

BearHuntr

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Dec 11, 2003
So, I just recently switched to a 1000.4 dish so that I could get my local channels in HD with a single dish solution. Now, I notice that for the local channels that are offered in HD, I only have the HD version and not the SD version as well.

Is there a way to configure the receiver (622) to show both the HD and SD version of the local channels like with national channels such as USA, HGTV, etc? Sometimes I prefer to record shows that I know are not in HD with the SD version of the channel to save on recording time. Thanks!

The Eastern Arc satellites don't carry the SD counterparts of HD locals, for the most part.

The Eastern Arc satellites don't carry the SD counterparts of HD locals, for the most part.

interesting. I thought they did at one point but I noticed that for my area (Minneapolis) on WA they have
Big 4 at 129
SD locals at 110

But on EA they're all on 61.5
Big 4 in HD only
rest in SD

That's because on EA you have to have an MPEG4 receiver anyway. No need for SD version in MPEG4, just use the HD version, even if you don't sub to HD (VERY few don't), you can still see it in SD.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)