GEOSATpro Question about "high-end" features

nhulst

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Dec 20, 2007
I got my MicroHD about a month or so ago, and it's been rock solid so far. Except for a couple of nits regarding the user interface, I've been very happy with it.

I was wondering if Brian or any of the SatelliteGuys power users could clarify a point about "high-end" features. Case in point: The MicroHD, in common with almost every FTA STB on the market, does not decode 4:2:2. Is this because there is too much computational intensity, or because of intellectual property wrapped up in patents that are too expensive or IP owners are totally unwilling to talk about licensing?

Likewise, I'm not aware of any STB anywhere that does Dolby E (of interest for an increasing number of wildfeeds.) Has anybody even asked the question of what it would cost to license their IP?

I definitely understand about needing to hit a price point to be able to do the sales volume you need. I'm just wondering if the questions have ever been asked.

Whoops, hadn't noticed that, thanks. I read that to mean it's a matter of hardware capability and the cost from that direction, didn't see any mention of having to license IP. Anyone else can chime in if they like.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)