Question about how long the hiring process takes.

Technician1313

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Feb 4, 2011
New Mexico
Hi, I recently had an interview with the service manager, and walked out of the office with the impression that I aced the interview, and that I'm going to get a job as a rural area installer. The manager informed me that the hiring process is a slow one, but to contact him if I had any problems.

I took a drug test, sent my references, and a background check is currently being processed. I'm not worried about any of those, because I have an excellent record all around, and do not do drugs.

So far, it has been 2 weeks since the interview, and I have not heard back. I have called both the manager, and HR, left messages, and still have not had a call returned.

This is pretty disappointing to me, as I don't see any reason why they wouldn't hire me. I also foolishly stopped looking for a job 2 weeks ago, under the assumption that I had this job.

I've searched online, and have seen lots of people asking questions about how long the hiring process takes, but I have yet to find any concrete answers. Does anyone know how long it should take? Also, will I be contacted if for what ever reason I am not eligible for this job?

I'm not sure why I haven't received a phone call back, but I hope I hear something soon. Anyways, thanks for the help!

Your wait should be about over. If calls aren't being returned I'd make it a point to stop in first thing Monday morning.

They recently did away with trainers in every shop, so if the shop you are trying to get into doesn't have a trainer, it may just be them waiting on a class to roll around.

Now that the trainers are few and far between they want to run more than one or two people in a training class, so you may just be waiting on them (or other shops) to hire in more people.

It would be nice of them to inform you, though. Get used to this....

Thanks Frank for your positive words. I really hope this doesn't fall through, as I think I'm going to enjoy the job. (Anything would be better than my last job!)

The manager did say that I would have to fly to either Phoenix, Denver, or somewhere in Cali to train, so you might be on to something.

The main office is 3 hours away, so I really can't just walk in. I think I'll send out emails an a few more phone calls on Monday, and politely ask where we are at in this process.

I've heard bad things about Dish, but I'm trying not to be biased. I'll be a rural area technician, so hopefully I'll be pretty solo, and I think I'll love it! I just hope they get better health insurance soon.

Do you work for dish? I have one more question.. I was told that it was mandatory to get the basic channel subscription. How does that work? If the job doesn't work out, are you in a contract? Also, if I want to upgrade to a better package, or add internet, what type of discount do you get?

If they already did a drug test and are running a background, I'd say you have the job. Dish takes a while, I know they are lacking trainers right now (hence why they want to fly you to another location). I will say from what I've heard they are running a training class right now so they're probably going to start another one soon, just be patient.

Yeah, I didn't want to get your hopes up but if the company is spending money on you, your in. You mentioned they are flying you out for your training....I'm guessing they are waiting on a class to begin.

Dish isn't necessarily bad, it's what you make of it. As for the programming, its not mandatory, but I highly suggest it. It will help you out A LOT when teaching someone else how to use it. Plus, they just gave every "dishscriber" -program for employees- the AT250 package. If you get DVR, and sign up for auto-pay/paperless billing, your bill should be like around $20 a month (for a two room) dish TV, almost the top tier programming package. Can't beat that, and your not in a contract (to my knowledge)

As for internet, I can't speak on that. I would suggest buying that on your own, not with the dish package. Also, if your going to be a rural tech (remote tech) be prepared for A LOT of inventory at your house. If you have no place for it at your house, start looking for a storage facility or something. Typically...at least for my area its like two vans totally stuffed.

Last edited:
Hey im new to the forum but have been reading tons of helpful threads for a while. I recently applied to dish in January also and went through a phone and in person interview. Got the call back for references and also about a drug test. I guess they couldn't find a place to do the drug test in my area so they said they will send a kit and i can take it at the local hospital. I was just wondering if you had heard any updates to the hiring process because it seems like its taking weeks in between updates from dish. Im really looking forward to this job and just wish they would tell me if i got it or not so i can stop being so paranoid about it. Thanks in advance for replies and again love the forum guys :up

I think its already been stated that if they are spending money on you, it's a pretty sure thing your in.

Did they tell you about the new bonus system yet?

Hiring process for dish is sllllllloooooooowwwwww. Be patient.

I was getting rehired a couple years ago. They had a hiring freeze right when everything went thru. 2 months of waiting for me. Good luck.

Update!

Just an update..

Okay, so a month has passed since my interview, and I sent several emails, and phone calls to both HR, and the Service Manager with no reply.

I was getting discouraged about not having my phone calls and emails returned, and finally today I called up to find out if this position was still available to me. (I saw on indeed.com that the job in my area was RELISTED so I thought they decided for what ever reason not to hire me.)

It turns out that they supposedly called me this morning to schedule me to come down to pick up my uniform. I'm very excited to be starting soon, and I think I'll really like being a rural area technician, but I'm also a bit aggravated that none of my phone calls were returned, and that I was just in limbo up until now.

I'm going to give it my best shot, and keep positive about it. Hopefully being a rural area technician, I won't have to be in constant contact with the managers, and hopefully I can run pretty solo.

BTW, what is the "new" bonus system?

Physical Abilities Test?

One more thing.. they said that I still need to take a Physical Abilities Test. I'm a pretty strong guy, but I haven't been lifting weights over the past few months. I'm pretty sure that this will be a breeze, I was just curious what I should expect with this.

Basically its to make sure that you can handle the day to day stress/strain on the body. Walk 20ft twice with 10, 20, and 40 lbs. Kneel for 5 minutes. Crawl 30ft. Climb a ladder three times with 24lbs around waist(simulating tool belt) and 15 lbs on shoulder(dish). Stand on each foot for 15 seconds. Grip test, pull test. Really easy stuff. If you have any kind of muscle and a non-limp wrist you got it no problem.

Basically its to make sure that you can handle the day to day stress/strain on the body. Walk 20ft twice with 10, 20, and 40 lbs. Kneel for 5 minutes. Crawl 30ft. Climb a ladder three times with 24lbs around waist(simulating tool belt) and 15 lbs on shoulder(dish). Stand on each foot for 15 seconds. Grip test, pull test. Really easy stuff. If you have any kind of muscle and a non-limp wrist you got it no problem.

Don't you guys use a rope? I'm not a satellite installer. But, i am a HVAC tech. I rope everything up on the roof using a hook on the end of the rope to snatch the equipment needed below. Keeps me from having to climb up and down the later 5 times.:D

Dns techs aren't to scale roofs. Everything is to be worked from the ladder. Yep sounds crazy but it's the way it is.

Op, you will be direct contact w your manager a lot. It's pretty solo but everything you do will probably be ran through him. Hop into the installer section of the forum to find out what this job really entails.

Dns techs aren't to scale roofs. Everything is to be worked from the ladder. Yep sounds crazy but it's the way it is.

Op, you will be direct contact w your manager a lot. It's pretty solo but everything you do will probably be ran through him. Hop into the installer section of the forum to find out what this job really entails.

Thanks Frank, I didn't know there was a specific installer section! I'll need to check that out.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)