Question about HSU subs

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

smokey982

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 7, 2005
Cleveland, TN (Chattanooga Market)
I'm trying to make a decision on a few different subs, and I have a question on the HSU subs. Could someone tell me in "newbie" terms the difference in the VTF-1 and the STF-2 subs? I see on the website that the VTF-1 is variable tuning. I have no idea what that means. Is that something that's worth paying the extra money for? I have a 21'x13'x8' room and it will be used 95% movies/TV and 5% music/games. I will also be using a Denon 1909 receiver. I haven't decided on the remaining speakers yet.

from all my researching, Id say in your price range, that Id recommend SVS. Not that HSU is bad, just that Ive read a few comparos and SVS wins out by a small margin.

SVSound - Box Subwoofers

From HSU:

" Variable tuning allows you to switch the bass characteristics on-demand. Choose between lower extension (‘music’ mode) or higher headroom (‘home theater’ mode). Subwoofer designs involve tradeoffs – one cannot optimally design a subwoofer to play low deep notes, and at the same time play loud. Usually the designer chooses a tradeoff for you. With the VTF series, we let you, the user, have uncompromising control at home."

"With Single Tuning Frequency subwoofers, the bass characteristics are fixed. You still get all the bass, but without the extra port and variable tuning circuitry."

Ive got a Klipsch Sub-12 paired with my 1909 and does a great job, but I only bought it because I had Best buy gift cards. The PB-12 was the SVS I was wanting.

Pulled up some stuff I had read. Seems HSU may be more accurate for music, but SVS is a little better on the movie front because they tend to go deeper. One review I read had the SVS sub hitting a few more db than the HSu on the same tracks.

I'm trying to make a decision on a few different subs, and I have a question on the HSU subs. Could someone tell me in "newbie" terms the difference in the VTF-1 and the STF-2 subs? I see on the website that the VTF-1 is variable tuning. I have no idea what that means. Is that something that's worth paying the extra money for? I have a 21'x13'x8' room and it will be used 95% movies/TV and 5% music/games. I will also be using a Denon 1909 receiver. I haven't decided on the remaining speakers yet.

The biggest difference I see between the two besides the $100 price difference is that the VTF-1 has stylized wood veneer options. The specs are almost identical.

I am looking into upgrading my sub also and the HSU subs are also on my short list. If I were you, I'd go with the STF-2 and save a few dollars. Both should power your room just nicely.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)